IGNORED

Which SAWII tracks were inspired by lucid dreaming?

Dragon

I'd like to know who came up with these preposterous track names.

That would be Gonzi Marchan and Allen Parry from the old AFX Discography days... officially, all the tracks are untitled, and represented by images that are in proportion in size to the length of the track. There's an old interview with Phil floating about in this subforum, who created the Aphex Twin logo and worked with Richard on the visual design of the SAW II artwork, photography, and packaging.

Also, that lucid dreaming stuff was (probably) just more of the Aphex Twin 'mystique' meant as a weird way to sell more records and build up a myth around the music and the man who created it.

Did they come up with the Star Wars names for the Joyrex J5 EP as well? (4-LOM, Jedi, R2D2...)

Yep - as well as the track names for ABB4, and the other Joyrex tracks - they only officially received names when the Caustic Window Compilation came out.

Oh ok, cool. I assumed that but never knew for sure. That IG-88 moniker also comes to mind. Woot Rephlex + SW

IG-88 is/was GWC (Grant Wilson-Claridge, head of Rephlex) (despite denials). The CAT003 test pressing or planned release I guess was set aside for other releases they wanted to get out first.

That would be Gonzi Marchan and Allen Parry from the old AFX Discography days... officially, all the tracks are untitled, and represented by images that are in proportion in size to the length of the track. There's an old interview with Phil floating about in this subforum, who created the Aphex Twin logo and worked with Richard on the visual design of the SAW II artwork, photography, and packaging.

Also, that lucid dreaming stuff was (probably) just more of the Aphex Twin 'mystique' meant as a weird way to sell more records and build up a myth around the music and the man who created it.

Did they come up with the Star Wars names for the Joyrex J5 EP as well? (4-LOM, Jedi, R2D2...)

Yep - as well as the track names for ABB4, and the other Joyrex tracks - they only officially received names when the Caustic Window Compilation came out.

Oh ok, cool. I assumed that but never knew for sure. That IG-88 moniker also comes to mind. Woot Rephlex + SW

IG-88 is/was GWC (Grant Wilson-Claridge, head of Rephlex) (despite denials). The CAT003 test pressing or planned release I guess was set aside for other releases they wanted to get out first.

Do you (or anybody) have a link to more info on IG-88/CAT003? I didn't know anything about this, would like to hopefully give it a listen.

Do you (or anybody) have a link to more info on IG-88/CAT003? I didn't know anything about this, would like to hopefully give it a listen.

Gah, I'd have to dig out some DVD-R archives probably to find what little info I had on it... I think there is a mention of it in the interview I did with GWC back in the joyrex.com days (you know, when I actually ran a site with content on it) and he slyly brushes off any connection to him, but I was told otherwise by those in the know.

I think (and this is my own opinion based on what I have been told by several sources) is that early releases like CAT003, CAT002, etc. were planned, some going as far as white label pressings, but either weren't commercially viable or they decided to prioritize releasing other items in their catalogue first either due to financial reasons or it made better business sense. Alan Parry claimed to have one of the white label CAT002's but "lost it" (???), while Richard himself told me he doesn't even have a physical copy of it anymore, but the archive DATs were stored at his parent's house and that the release does exist. GWC backed this up with a description of each of the 4 tracks on the release (that was in the interview I did with GWC). While GWC seemed to still want to spread the disinformation, the interview I did with Mike P was much more forthcoming and I feel "honest" about the Rephlex early days and which releases were actually Richard even though there was a backstory to cover this up (see: Bradley Strider, whom they even had their designer friend, Manuel Sepulveda, pose as the creator of those tracks, and then later claim that while it was Richard's equipment, Manuel made the tracks himself (yeah right)).

IIRC, the 7" of Universal Indicator Green was the CAT003 IG-88 release. The purple 'promo' 7" that has a few copies floating around is the closest you'll find to the IG-88 release.

IIRC, the 7" of Universal Indicator Green was the CAT003 IG-88 release. The purple 'promo' 7" that has a few copies floating around is the closest you'll find to the IG-88 release.

Yes, you're 100% correct - I forgot that Grant did the last two tracks off UI Green.

I still have my 7" purple promo!

Guest capitan mission

lucid dreaming is cool, I've experienced very vivid things. But I find more inspiration in the last stage of sleep, when im "half sleep".

Guest dilbthelame

I'm sure i remember reading an interview where he said he used to record the songs in his dreams, i.e. dream that he was in the studio and recording the song, and then wake up and do it in real life while he remembered what he did in the dream.

don't remeber where i read that, but it could be an explanation. or it could be bollox.

Archived