IGNORED

Monome on the cheap

Hautlle

Ended up just grabbing a Novation Launchpad instead... the blip was gonna be about $150 after the kit plus shipping... was able to get the launch pad for $180 out the door after some haggling.

That's a damn good deal man. I noticed he upped the price of the kits. I pre-ordered on the initial run so I got my kit for like $68 + $50 for the bliptronic. I've seen quite a few apps that tun the launchpad into a monome too.

Mmmhmm... went on a splurge and bought max for live as well... currently trying to setup SevenUp Live.

That's exactly my setup on the bliptronome man =) Been having fun just messing with it, hella quick and easy to lay down beats too!

I reckon all these pretty LED grid triggers like monomes, APC's ect will so obsolete in about a year or so when multi touch LCD screens become the norm.

couldn't disagree more, touch screens have been around since the early 80s

Yeah.. until touch screens have velocity sensitive rubber pads, i'm not really interested.

launchpad, apcs and monomes arent velocity sensitive.

well, i dont know about the monome, but the lp and apcs arent.

yeah to my knowledge the monome is not, that's the only one i've had experience using. i just think until touch screens respond in a tactile fashion where they actually feel like buttons they aren't going to fully replace things like the monome.

That's exactly my setup on the bliptronome man =) Been having fun just messing with it, hella quick and easy to lay down beats too!

Awesome :) Ive been itching to get home from work to get it all figured out.

I reckon all these pretty LED grid triggers like monomes, APC's ect will so obsolete in about a year or so when multi touch LCD screens become the norm.

Yeah.. until touch screens have velocity sensitive rubber pads, i'm not really interested.

Yeah monome's arent velocity sensitive either, at least the older models that I am aware of. I was talking with Deadelus about his before a show about what he liked/didnt like, he said his would be perfect if it had velocity sensitive pads. That's my only gripe with the LP, when I was using it I really began to miss the pads on my Maschine.

yeah to my knowledge the monome is not, that's the only one i've had experience using. i just think until touch screens respond in a tactile fashion where they actually feel like buttons they aren't going to fully replace things like the monome.

I agree... plus these touchscreens are going to need to be built to take a beating. Watch most live performers with an MPC/APC/Monome/KontrolPad/LP/etc ... they rock it hard with them... some even use drum sticks. The only area I see fit for touch screen would be for sliders.

Yeah monome's arent velocity sensitive either, at least the older models that I am aware of. I was talking with Deadelus about his before a show about what he liked/didnt like, he said his would be perfect if it had velocity sensitive pads. That's my only gripe with the LP, when I was using it I really began to miss the pads on my Maschine.

This is why I kept my PadKontrol and built the mini-monome, I have the best of both worlds. I easily program a back beat on the bliptronome and then do crazy cuts over the top using the PK. I'm running NativeKontrol software on it to turn it into a sort of launchpad I guess. I can launch clips/scenes, mute channels, record a clip on the fly etc, but it also has a drumpad mode too. It's really nice. I just painted the PK black too so it looks super sleek :biggrin:

Guest iamabe

sorry, i didnt mean to talk about the monome, launchpad etc (despite this being a monome discussion thread), just that as a rule for my gear, I like hardware interfaces. I like buttons that click in, pads with velocity, rubber feel... etc. Touch screens just don't really interest me yet, though I am sure I will change my mind one day.

I would love a monome or 8x8/16x16 grid type controller for some really fast step sequencing. there's nothing like sequencing drums on a big grid to see relationships between parts...

Archived