IGNORED

A topic about Dead Ringers (the David Cronenberg film)

springymajig

I found the end to be incredibly disturbing. It stuck with me and haunted me. It's the stuff of nightmares. It was mainly the shot where you see Elliot's body in the background and Beverly is just shivering and whimpering all childlike "oh Elly... Elly... Elly...."

I think I've finally managed to shake it off, took more than a day, I had trouble sleeping that night. The whole day yesterday it kept coming back into my head.

I borrowed the DVD off one of my best friends. She bought it on a whim cos she likes Jeremy Irons. She didn't find the end disturbing in the slightest, she just thought it was good.

I won't disagree with that, it was a brilliant film, but I don't know if I'll be able to watch it again just because of the end.

So my question is: am I the only one who found it so disturbing? :P

Guest 277: 930-933

What I saw was all pretty disturbing but for some reason I've never finished watching it.

The Brood haunted me for a while though.

no but i think the reason i found it really disturbing is because i was living with a junkie at the time who was slowly killing himself with any opiate he could get ahold of.

Jeez that must've been really tough! I don't think I would have been able to watch something like that at all if i was in that position.

I realised recently that I'm really sensitive to issues regarding drugs. I've always been real straight edge, I've never even had a glass of wine or a can of beer in my entire life. If it wasn't for this forum's open discussions on drug use (which probably desensitized me a little) I probably would have a proper phobia by now.

yeah, i used to be the same way. I considered myself pretty straight edge until i was about 22, the first 'drug' i tried besides caffeine was DXM. I didn't try smoking weed or drinking alcohol until i had done a bunch of psychedelics. but watching a junkie who used to be what i considered a genius artist turn himself into a drooling zombie over the course of a year was devastating for me.

The part of the movie i sympathized with the most was the whole mental link or connection the brothers had with each other, and that once one of them got addicted to pills the other one had to so that they could be on the same mental plane, in a fucked up way maintaining that twin link which drove them both into hell. I watched his best childhood friend start using heroin around the same time, luckily this other guy went to rehab and cleaned himself up but they could have both easily dragged eachother down.

I really like Dead Ringers. Need to give it another watch! Jeremy Irons was fucking amazing in this film really, he managed to differentiate between the brothers perfectly, I pretty much believed it was two different people playing the roles throughout the whole film.

As far as finding it disturbing goes.. Not so much, more intriguing than anything. I wonder if I had saw it closer to when it was released if it would have hit me more? I only watched it a couple months ago.

I've heard that there's a strange connection between identical twns, read a scientific bits and bobs about how there's almost a psychic link between them sometimes. It appears twindom has emerged in my family all of a sudden, my older brother has twin daughters and my older sister is now pregnant with twins. Two pairs of twins in a row... Bit odd!

Archived