IGNORED

Ae at Glasgow Sub Club

NewSchoolScience

Russell haswell was super super shite (I was doing better twiddling _one_ knob on my MC 303 back in the 90s). He even had the audacity to be selling a £20 exclusive CD on the night. Ae put on a blinder though, approaching the Tin Pin Alley Tri Repetae tour gig. Enjoyed it loads.

Russel Haswell's latest CD 'wild sounds' is basically one of the most underwhelming and non impressive series of field recordings i've ever had the privilege of listening to. He makes a big deal in the linear notes in what's basically an essay about he didn't want to do cliche 'rain forrest' sounds or strictly natural environments. well great, but unfortunately most of the results are not very fun or interesting to check out. I love some of his noise stuff, i just think he's maybe going a little too academic or purest for his own good

Russel Haswell's latest CD 'wild sounds' is basically one of the most underwhelming and non impressive series of field recordings i've ever had the privilege of listening to. He makes a big deal in the linear notes in what's basically an essay about he didn't want to do cliche 'rain forrest' sounds or strictly natural environments. well great, but unfortunately most of the results are not very fun or interesting to check out. I love some of his noise stuff, i just think he's maybe going a little too academic or purest for his own good

i'm sure it's pretty tongue in cheek... being packaged in one of those abc for kids dvd cases kind of points to that.

you could say he's being entirely tongue and cheek about deciding to release a whole cd of field recordings that almost no one would want to listen to. I can go for that, if the whole concept is a joke it has some value (it might not be academic just purest ).The case is funny but the linear notes appear to be serious. i just respect his talents immensely as a sound maker and this fell way below the mark for me, it seemed much too rule based for it's own good . He talks ostensibly about how he refused to process any of the recordings so they can remain in the natural state. but whats the point if most of them don't sound good?

Guest Balance

Loved it, missed the last train and had to stay in Glasgow for hours afterwards but it was worth it, I was the bald guy shouting all the time in the grey hoodie.

The noisy guy was horrible, Haswell.

Russell H was the shite of shitestness

The Ae however played probably better than i've ever seen them.

was fucking excellent.

too many hipster student cunts there mind you :)

Guest the anonymous forumite

I haven't heard the cd you're talking about. Have you heard this one (cassette):

ta089detail.jpg

Because I quite like this one, noise-field recording, you can hear these flies getting super close to the mic, and it's loud. Plus the concept of recording flies on a rotting carcass is just sexy.

was fucking excellent.

aye, a good night it was mos and ae were excellent

but what was the deal with the young cunts in skinny jeans and big white belts? no need.

a wee bit rough today mind you. a was a wee bit pished, just a wee bit.

I haven't heard the cd you're talking about. Have you heard this one (cassette):

ta089detail.jpg

Because I quite like this one, noise-field recording, you can hear these flies getting super close to the mic, and it's loud. Plus the concept of recording flies on a rotting carcass is just sexy.

*derailing continues*

that flies recording appears on Wild Tracks as well. I thought it was a nice little collection, did seem very academic in presentation but you never know with Haswell if he's taking the piss. Although I am more or less a complete n00b when it comes to this type of music, having only heard bits and pieces by the likes of Farmers Manual/Keith Fullerton Whitman/Touch records and bits of old music concrete type stuff it managed to hold my interest and if found some of the recordings very illuminating. I wonder if you could point me in the direction of some more impressive artists working in this area awepittance?

Guest BeatJunky

was fucking excellent.

aye, a good night it was mos and ae were excellent

but what was the deal with the young cunts in skinny jeans and big white belts? no need.

a wee bit rough today mind you. a was a wee bit pished, just a wee bit.

:ok:

I wonder if you could point me in the direction of some more impressive artists working in this area awepittance?

me :emotawesomepm9:

one of the cooler recordings on it is a shepard tone/endlessly falling tone made completely acoustically as well as a microphone that i put into a live bird's nest and captured several feedings

wisp used a part of this one i described in a recent mix/set he did

fluorescentgrey-acoustic barber pole clip.mp3

Guest pscilocybin666

I thought the venue was shite, no space for dancing. The sub club?....fuck off!

Next time they should go back and play the art school, its got a better sound system and much more space.

Ae fuckin kicked ass, loved the almost gabba type beats they were playing in the middle of the set.

Did anyone record it?

I spoke to haswell on the way out (midget with long hair and manky baseball cap) I asked if he sold many of his Cd's

Nah! was his reply.

I thought his set was hilarious, even the guys standin next to me were grinning from ear to ear.

Bad sound system

crap venue

odd crowd (i kept smelling an odd pishy smell on the dancefloor..no joke!)

three fifty for a can of red stripe....fuck off!

Guest Balance

Aye there was nae space but the actual set was great imo.

I got a pint for 3.60 then thought fuck that I'll get Red Stripe from now on, 3.50 WTF.

I'm taking my hip flask if I go there again.

Archived