IGNORED

Best sampling method

Macca

I love films, there are loads of films I have on DVD I'd love to try sample.

Question is to you guys, what is the best and quickest method to collect samples from DVDs you have? some wicked lines etc that I'd love to use yet are from obscure films that stay on my shelf in my room.

Guest Stoppit

I open nuendo and press record while the DVD is running. It then records all sounds currently playing. I think this is supposed to be a setting you can toggle relatively simply (somewhere in the control panel for your soundcard) but I have no idea how to turn mine off.

Open up a DAW of choice and for the input select "What You Hear"... record when needed then export to your favorite audio format.

** If in Windows 7 you might need to un-hide the "What You Hear" option in your Sound setting in Control Panel in order for your DAW to see it.

Guest Stoppit

I've just worked out how to disable it on mine, which isn't very clearly labelled (I have to de-select 'stereo mix')

Guest margaret thatcher

** If in Windows 7 you might need to un-hide the "What You Hear" option in your Sound setting in Control Panel in order for your DAW to see it.

this doesn't work on sony vaios. the most annoying thing in the universe. i literally have to plug an audio cable from the output jack into the microphone jack and record the mic feed. so fucking stupid.

don't get me started on virtual audio cable.

I haven't tried this yet but it seems like a bunch of shit recorded off DVD has this sort of high-pitched hiss or something and whenever I hear it I figured it was sampled from DVD. Any way to avoid this or is it because of some resampling/bit reduction shite

I haven't tried this yet but it seems like a bunch of shit recorded off DVD has this sort of high-pitched hiss or something and whenever I hear it I figured it was sampled from DVD. Any way to avoid this or is it because of some resampling/bit reduction shite

eq?

Open up a DAW of choice and for the input select "What You Hear"... record when needed then export to your favorite audio format.

hmm this sounds like the route I may take, as much as Yek's tape suggestions sounds lovely I don't have one :(

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

just using a tape recorder is a good way. it might not suit your sound though... it's cool cause it adds a natural reverb to the sample.

...while that might be a good suggestion for some quite sample to throw in the background or really minimally in someones track... sampling has soo much possibilities these days for manipulation, one should really record everything as dry and uncolored as possible. you can add a vst convolution room reverb later that sounds exactly like your room if you really think that's the most pleasantly relevant reverb to your song.

but I mean in this day in age when you can manipulate a sample so hardcore and make it the focus of a song later, why not record it as dry as possible and uncolored by a single microphones limited frequency response.

just using a tape recorder is a good way. it might not suit your sound though... it's cool cause it adds a natural reverb to the sample.

...while that might be a good suggestion for some quite sample to throw in the background or really minimally in someones track... sampling has soo much possibilities these days for manipulation, one should really record everything as dry and uncolored as possible. you can add a vst convolution room reverb later that sounds exactly like your room if you really think that's the most pleasantly relevant reverb to your song.

but I mean in this day in age when you can manipulate a sample so hardcore and make it the focus of a song later, why not record it as dry as possible and uncolored by a single microphones limited frequency response.

because the space is part of the sound

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

lol really? you could literally record it after your done manipulating it with your tape recorder and mediocre microphone if you really think using the same tape machine and microphone is the most relevant spacial atmosphere for every song you put a sample in. I'm not knocking that technique entirely, im just saying it really is even close to optimal to color a sound so strongly at that beginning stage. you can push sampling so hard and recording with a tape microphone really limits the dynamic depth you can achieve (in comparison to direct recording when possible.....)

I love recording dry sounds, but maybe half of what I sample is environmental in nature; the space is the sound.

Also, you get beautiful sound from spaces that it would just be silly to try and recreate. Drums in a stairwell for example

I'm with KFC (aka BFC)... I always try sample as dry as possible. Not that I do not love tape saturation, in fact I love it quite dearly, but for future proofing the sample I believe it is best practice to get it as close to the source as possible.

Also, you get beautiful sound from spaces that it would just be silly to try and recreate. Drums in a stairwell for example

The OP is talking about sourcing from movies though, not so much about creating atmosphere with a sample... I don't think BFC is saying the ONLY way to sample is said technique, just good practice.

Guest Tamas

If you want to get a proper rip without losing any quality (using the "what you hear" option in Windows takes the digital signal and turns it analog before going back to digital again which seems like a pointless waste of quality to me), you rip the DVD using some random ripping software, and then you convert the AC3 audio file to wav using some random program. I didn't really research or anything but looking at google I found one piece of software that seems to be able to do that (no guarantees though I didn't try it) link

Though really if perfection isn't important then just use "What you hear". Honestly I'd be too lazy to do it the way I just described for sampling purposes. I actually did use this technique once, there was a movie I really liked that had an amazing soundtrack, but it was really rare to download (and the soundtrack was $30 on it's own, like I'd spend another $30 after buying the DVD for that much), but you could listen to the soundtrack as apart of the special features on the DVD. So I just ripped the AC3 files to get the soundtrack.

Yeah I have done the same for soundtracks... just a pain in the ass to go through all of the work for a 5 second sample though :braindance:

Guest Tamas

Yeah I have done the same for soundtracks... just a pain in the ass to go through all of the work for a 5 second sample though :braindance:

Most def I don't think I could be fucked for that... But then again if it was, say, a good hit that I was going to use repeatedly as percussion, I'd probably take the time and effort to get the best quality to fuck around with.

Archived