IGNORED

Demo 3? Demo 4?

Guest Moebius

Guest Moebius

Someone made a big update to the BoC Wikipedia entry, added a section about Old Tunes and such. Of particular interest, they say there has been some new material leaked:

Recently, two more bootleg recordings have surfaced on the Internet, most commonly known only as “Demo 3” and “Demo 4”. These two demos contain similar tracks found on “Old Tunes”. However, several tracks are noticeably acoustic in nature. One guitar-laden track in particular is exactly 4:49 in length, which has caused some to suspect this piece is indeed “Petina” from the long lost [[Acid Memories]] EP. The authenticity of this track is in question. However, if it were genuine, it would mean that Boards’ acoustic sampling and manipulation predates [[The Campfire Headphase]] by at least 16 years. This evidence would further support [[The Incredible String Band]]’s influence on the duo since the beginning.

(The acoustic part is really no big relevation, since we've known from the band's own given history that they had once existed as a "real" band before going to synths and loops, and earlier clips like form the old BoC pages or XYZ already give a hint of this sound (not to mention the acoustic portions of the previous leaks)

I haven't been keeping up as much lately, but I havent' heard anything about any "demo 3" or "demo 4", and I don't see anything at the usual places (WATMM, Twoism, Yahoo group). So what's, anyone else know anything about this?

Guest BunnyRabbit

I think this person's made an error.

They consistenly refer to "A Few Old Tunes Vol. 1 & 2" when in fact the old tunes collection consists of AFOT, OTV1 and OTV2.

My guess is that they are getting confused with the later surfacing of OTV1 which does include some more guitary tracks.

Demo 3 and 4 would be sides A and B of OTV1 and sides 3 and 4 of the collection as a whole.

It was a common mistake when OTV1 appeared. People realised that AFOT was not the first volume implied by volume 2.

Guest Moebius

They consistenly refer to "A Few Old Tunes Vol. 1 & 2" when in fact the old tunes collection consists of AFOT, OTV1 and OTV2.

My guess is that they are getting confused with the later surfacing of OTV1 which does include some more guitary tracks.

Demo 3 and 4 would be sides A and B of OTV1 and sides 3 and 4 of the collection as a whole.

It was a common mistake when OTV1 appeared. People realised that AFOT was not the first volume implied by volume 2.

Possibly. I did notice their error about "Vol. 1 & 2" (moreover, AFOT and OTV2 did not appear simultaneously). I didn't really consider that since it was posted just a few days ago (March 10) and he said "recently", but he may just be late to this game.

Guest BunnyRabbit

Possibly. I did notice their error about "Vol. 1 & 2" (moreover, AFOT and OTV2 did not appear simultaneously). I didn't really consider that since it was posted just a few days ago (March 10) and he said "recently", but he may just be late to this game.

Given that no-one else has picked up on the demos 3+4 thing I think it'a mistake and also they're just a bit out of the loop.

It's all written in the style of an impartial observer distancing themsleves from speculatiion and sticking to the facts. It's just a shame they don't get the facts right and seem to have heard it all second hand. I mean, why not mention the fact that the boxed set was a 'rumour' started by BOC's spokesman in cyberspace? It's not like we don't know where that idea came from is it?

• 1 month later...
Guest Moebius

I have the BoC pages on my watchlist, which is how I saw this. We must be vigilent!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest preboc 70
Can someone sort it out please?

I don't usually participate in forum discussions since they usually end up in childish flame wars. But this topic caught my eye.

I am indeed the author of the extensive BOC Wiki entires that have raised some eyebrows. I can assure you, I'm not a n00b and I have followed BOC's music for quite some time. By no means am I late in the game.

I have all the versions of OTV 1 and 2 in their various incarnations. I can assure you the tracks that I obtained from what is called Demo 3 and Demo 4 are completely different from the OTV's, save a few tracks. The tracks are very unique and rife with acoustics.

I noticed that someone deleted a portion of that entry on Wiki, which is no big deal. I tried to maintain some objectivity in that these tracks are not confirmed as authentic but from what I could gather, these tracks could possibly be from Acid Memories or earlier, as the time markers do match up on some tracks.

Email me privately if you are interested in sharing a couple of tracks off Soulseek and judge for yourself. I have about 35 tracks that are not found on any version of OT. If I am wrong, so be it...that is what forums are for. I just wanted to share my enthusiam with other BOC fans in an academic setting, like Wiki. My goal on Wiki was to able to add to the collective enthusiasm for BOC's music based on the music I have collected over the years. That's all.

Are you sure these tracks are not from the mostly untitled 35 tracks commonly referred to as OTV1 (I am not referring to A Few Old Tunes)?

If you'd like, post some 1 minute clips (please, no complete tracks) here as I am sure a few people here would like to hear what you've got.

Guest BunnyRabbit

I don't usually participate in forum discussions since they usually end up in childish flame wars. But this topic caught my eye.

Well that's your outlook but there's plenty of us around here who are simply trying to get the facts straight.

And once again - its AFOT, OTV1 and OTV2.

Guest Moebius

To clarify (for preboc 70's sake), this is what we're talking about when when we say "OTV1" (or "unreleased 35 track demo" or "what is assumed to be OTV1"...).

The same page also has the accepted listings for A Few Old Tunes and Old Tunes Vol. 2, which are more well-known and leaked earlier than "OTV1".

Moreover, note that AFOT (A Few Old Tunes) and OTV1 (Old Tunes Vol. 1) are two distinct works; this has caused confusion in the past.

Please compare your track times, file names, etc with those to see if what you have is different than what we know about.

Guest i.boc'd.ur.mom

I guarantee this is Old Tunes Vol. 1.

If I'm wrong though (I won't be), post the tracks after you've checked with the BoC page's discography (posted above).

Guest preboc 70

OK, case closed.

The tracks I have are from OTV1. I checked Fredd-e's site. Sorry about the hubbub.

Curious, though...I check Fredd-e's site frequently and these tracks must have been posted recently.

The devil is truly in the details. Well I do feel like a noob now.

:ermm:

Guest Opoth
[

OK, case closed.

The tracks I have are from OTV1. I checked Fredd-e's site. Sorry about the hubbub.

Curious, though...I check Fredd-e's site frequently and these tracks must have been posted recently.

I'm pretty sure those have been posted on his site for about a year...

Guest BunnyRabbit

[

OK, case closed.

They have.

Are you changing the wiki then?

[

OK, case closed.

yeh... maybe even longer as well :-)

Archived