IGNORED

Spanners

chassis

B12? was it '09 or '08 when they released the 7 X 2cd archive albums, plus some new albums/eps. kirk detroitio has been back in town, releasing as well.

Not just any album but one that contained some of the best techno/electro (in my opinion) in the last few years.

Check "Last Days Of Silence" on B12 if you haven't already.

stuff like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z82r9-o01wo

love it !!!

as for "Spanners" - love that too.

and I agree with the Black Dog is not Plaid sentiment.

Have loads of Black Dog stuff old & new but not too much Plaid (though some of it is good too)

i just prefer the black dog releases over plaid's output and i hear differences... tbd feels more organic

I cant explain why but I really really agree with this.

Guest sirch

i just prefer the black dog releases over plaid's output and i hear differences... tbd feels more organic

i sort of know what you mean but you're wrong, lol.. i'm just kidding..... :)

seriously tho, you guys need your ears syringed or sumink! :P

Guest sirch

B12? was it '09 or '08 when they released the 7 X 2cd archive albums, plus some new albums/eps. kirk detroitio has been back in town, releasing as well.

Not just any album but one that contained some of the best techno/electro (in my opinion) in the last few years.

Check "Last Days Of Silence" on B12 if you haven't already.

stuff like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z82r9-o01wo

love it !!!

B12 are brilliant. massive respect for them.

i like pretty much everything single thing they've done, including the new stuff.

all their ol' pseudonyms aswell :)

Guest Greg Reason

I find it easy to explain. Much of Plaid's output strikes me as lightweight, jokey and novel, much like Squarepusher and AFX. I like the first few Plaid releases and can't stand pretty much anything they did for the next ten years. Tekkon Kinkreet and Heaven's Door I do really enjoy though so maybe they've decided to ditch the bubbly vibe that I hate so much. Either that or they do great soundtracks and (imo) fuckin boring albums.

Guest sirch

P-Brane the majority of Spokes, Booc. Rest, Proof Clockwork. - genius releases! amazing ideas and awesome programming and production.

if anything, an ambient album about airports in the 21st Century is "boring" and "novel"...... imho.

Guest Greg Reason

Well I'm not sure if you've heard it but boring it certainly isn't.

Novel, well that's for you to decide but I consider the notions they're basing the record on to be extremely pertinent, moreso for someone like yourself who lives in the UK.

Guest sirch

I don't fly. choose not to. but i do like airports, and even like the overpriced food they serve, which is funny. :)

they're a bit like little micro-cosms of society. like individual islands but full of strangers. i like that.

when you get inside it could be like a big spaceship you're in, if you don't look out the windows! lol

fucking hate planes tho........ but would like to learn to fly one myself. go figure.. :)

Guest Greg Reason

The album isn't about flying so much as it's about the future of mankind if governments are allowed to keep progressing in the manner they currently are. The idea is that airports are effectively a glimpse into what everyday life could be: security screenings, full body scans, random bag-checks, pocket swabs, multi-tiered security panels blocking the exits, imposing fluorescent lighting and surveillance in every corner...

Guest sirch

The album isn't about flying so much as it's about the future of mankind if governments are allowed to keep progressing in the manner they currently are. The idea is that airports are effectively a glimpse into what everyday life could be: security screenings, full body scans, random bag-checks, pocket swabs, multi-tiered security panels blocking the exits, imposing fluorescent lighting and surveillance in every corner...

well now you've got me interested! sincerely. i didn't realise this.

so in a way it's kind of a follow up to Further Vexations, right?

i don't know if you've ever been to the UK but a lot of that shit is already in place in everyday life!

you don't get it as much out of the towns and cities, but it's still happening. which is grim. obv.

tbh i haven't set foot on a plane in a long time, so when i'm at airports it's usually only to drop somebody off

or pick somebody up. so i just piss about and enjoy the place while i'm in there.

what you describe is pretty sinister! i don't see much any of that tbh while i'm in there floating about :)

anyway, i'm more interested to hear it now. you've sold it to me! ;)

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah it does continue with the line of thinking behind Further Vexations but it doesn't sound anything like it. It's almost entirely ambient, so it's quite different to the rest of their catalog, but I won't say anything else about it so you can enjoy it with more of a clean slate :)

well now you've got me interested! sincerely. i didn't realise this.

so in a way it's kind of a follow up to Further Vexations, right?

i don't know if you've ever been to the UK but a lot of that shit is already in place in everyday life!

you don't get it as much out of the towns and cities, but it's still happening. which is grim. obv.

tbh i haven't set foot on a plane in a long time, so when i'm at airports it's usually only to drop somebody off

or pick somebody up. so i just piss about and enjoy the place while i'm in there.

what you describe is pretty sinister! i don't see much any of that tbh while i'm in there floating about :)

anyway, i'm more interested to hear it now. you've sold it to me! ;)

The Black Dog intended theirs to be tense and bittersweet, saying "This record is not necessarily a comfortable listen. But it captures the spectrum of emotions stirred by airports."[16]

Guest sirch

Spanners is a masterpiece of electronic music. :)

i wonder what gear they were using during that period.

i know their very early stuff was all Roland SH-101, DX-7 and TR-808....

but what of Spanners?????????? - a geeky question. but interesting. :)

Archived