* The High Birds: 'Seventeen' (EP 'Take You Down') Heavenly

* Ono Sendai: 'Forecast' (12") Precision

* Bette Davis & The Balconettes: '0898' (Single) Babyboom

* Pastels: 'Unfair Kind Of Fame' (Single) Domino

* Black Dog: 'Babylon' (session)

* Fall: 'Gramme Friday' (LP 'Grotesque (After the Gramme)') Rough Trade

* Pilot Can: 'Losing More Than My Fingers' (LP 'Socially Inept Disco') Evol

* Asian Dub Foundation: 'Free Satpal Ram' (Single) Damaged Goods

* Half Man Half Biscuit: 'Tonight, Matthew, I'm Going To Be With Jesus' (LP ' Voyage To The Bottom Of The Road') Probe Plus

* (JP: 'As I've mentioned before, in a decently ordered society members of Half Man Half Biscuit would be routinely carried shoulder high through the streets of every city they visited.')

* (JP: 'This is from the Black Dog, this is called 'Julia'. Another one that's gonna fade in, I rather suspect... but it will be with us any moment now... Actually this is unprecedented. What is happening? It is going - (machine beeps) - there it is. I seem to remember this happening before, interestingly. (the track starts) There we go. It really isn't me, it isn't. IT ISN'T!')

* Black Dog: 'Julia' (session)

* (JP: 'I know you don't believe me and it's a bad workman who blames his tools, as I've said before. But really, the technology sometimes in this studio - and I think it's betwitched or something, I really don't know what goes on - but according to the machinery in here, this has 40 seconds to run, so if I stop speaking for 40 seconds, which I'm very tempted to do I must admit, there'll be a long silence and then an emergency tape will come on followed by a tune by Oasis, which you'd probably quite like to hear. But there you go, it's still ticking away, 28 seconds now you see. I should get into the rhythms (clicks fingers) you know, those rich polyrhythms... Anyway, there you go, that was Black Dog and 'Julia'.')

* The Azusa Plane: 'Shooting Speed With Lou Reed' (LP 'Sounds From the Philadelphia Low Orbit Lounge') Lounge/Low Orbit

* Codiac: 'Zero' (?) Slant

* The track ends suddenly. (JP: 'Oh come on! What has gone wrong? That's supposed to last for another couple of minutes. Hold on a second, let me just check this out because really I'm beginning to think that I am bedeviled. Well there you go, it says zero and it's by Codiac and it's on Slant Records and it lasted for about a minute and 40 seconds and yes it says 3 minutes and 10 seconds. Listen listeners, can I come round to your place? Things are getting very very deep around here indeed. Anyway, it's time in just a moment for the news as soon as I sort one or two technical things out here and after the news, with any luck, I mean who can possibly say? The studio may implode or something in the course of the news, I may disappear, I may burst into flames! Anything seems to be possible. But in the meantime let's have a go at the news, after which, if everything goes according to plan, I'll play you a track by Bill Ding.')

* (news)

* Bill Ding: 'The Power Of The Microphone' (LP 'Bill Ding's And The Sound Of Adventure') Hefty

* Shalawambe: 'Samora Machel' (12" single) Cariba

* Ivor Cutler: 'Ride Off' (LP 'A Wet Handle') Creation

* Girlfrendo: 'Friday Night Lovebite' (7" single) Piao!

* Subba Cultcha: 'Raw Acid' (?) Silverback

* Mikey Dread: 'Robbers Roost' (?) Forty Leg

* Black Dog: 'Dissidents & Red & Black' (session)

* High Coin: 'Raise A Smile' (7" single) Dishy

--

Peel says they "have just returned from a tour in canada" and mentions the 2 hour live demo recored in Toronto. So maybe there were more shows and as he says 'they', they were probably the three (ken, andy and ed) there.

Enjoy the track Babylon and the other as well. John Peel was a great radio dj.

thanks for this peel session mate... good to hear the old master again.

used to listen to peel everyweek.. learnt about lots of music thanks to JP.

bests

Guest sirch

Peel says they "have just returned from a tour in canada" and mentions the 2 hour live demo recored in Toronto. So maybe there were more shows and as he says 'they', they were probably the three (ken, andy and ed) there.

no, no, no, it was just Ken Downie. Ed & Andy had left 2 years before in 1995.(i heard it was actually back stage at a gig, the grand fall out)

Ken might have gone with some other people, tho.... to Canada, who helped out. 'roadies', a bass player (?), moroccan belly dancers, etc. etc. ;)

but definitely not Ed and Andy. JP, though definitely a great, lovely, inspiring man, didn't know everything about the bands he played. :)

Guest ruiagnelo

no, no, no, it was just Ken Downie. Ed & Andy had left 2 years before in 1995.(i heard it was actually back stage at a gig, the grand fall out)

Ken might have gone with some other people, tho.... to Canada, who helped out. 'roadies', a bass player (?), moroccan belly dancers, etc. etc. ;)

but definitely not Ed and Andy. JP, though definitely a great, lovely, inspiring man, didn't know everything about the bands he played. :)

Oh right. Of course. I know they split in 95, but was forgeting about that :facepalm:

Guest ruiagnelo

But, is it true that there were actually more gigs in Canada?

Guest sirch

I don't know about that mate... i can't remember.... i thought it was just the 1 gig, tho. otherwise, there'd be more recordings?

and not just the 1 recording of the 1 live show. but i dunno. sorry....

you wanna try get your hands on the ultra-ultra-rare, one-off, Black Dog musical transmission, that was beamed out into the Heaven's at a certain date and time, just the once.. and supposedly was never to be heard again or released anywhere! it really was literally a one-off.

try tracking that one down, that should keep you busy for a while!! haha :D , that would be sheer Gold if anybody has a recording of that!!

*hollas* Boredroom???? lol ;)

Guest ruiagnelo

I don't know about that mate... i can't remember.... i thought it was just the 1 gig, tho. otherwise, there'd be more recordings?

and not just the 1 recording of the 1 live show. but i dunno. sorry....

you wanna try get your hands on the ultra-ultra-rare, one-off, Black Dog musical transmission, that was beamed out into the Heaven's at a certain date and time, just the once.. and supposedly was never to be heard again or released anywhere! it really was literally a one-off.

try tracking that one down, that should keep you busy for a while!! haha :D , that would be sheer Gold if anybody has a recording of that!!

*hollas* Boredroom???? lol ;)

Wow, didn't knew about the existence of that transmission. I will try to find for sure. Have you ever heard it?

Guest sirch

no, unfortunately for me i missed out on it. *gutted* :(

you should be able to find some info about it tho if you look hard enough.

it used to be documented on ye good olde Black Dog website. before all the books got burnt, so to speak. :)

Guest ruiagnelo

no, unfortunately for me i missed out on it. *gutted* :(

you should be able to find some info about it tho if you look hard enough.

it used to be documented on ye good olde Black Dog website. before all the books got burnt, so to speak. :)

Yes, i understand. I am sure mr. boredroom has info on that.

Guest ruiagnelo

ah and that last track on the Peel show there is actually two mixed:

The Black Dog - Dissidents (or Dissidence)

The Black Dog - Red & Black

How come i didn't notice it?!

This red & black track, was it relased in some EP/LP? I am don't think i recognize it...

Guest ruiagnelo

ah and that last track on the Peel show there is actually two mixed:

The Black Dog - Dissidents (or Dissidence)

The Black Dog - Red & Black

How come i didn't notice it?!

This red & black track, was it relased in some EP/LP? I am don't think i recognize it...

One of them is from the '97 Toronto live Demo. The other i am not sure...

Guest ruiagnelo

I have a peel sessions but its only got 5 tracks. Is the one I have different or just a segment of this?

What you have is a Peel Sessions dedicated to The Black Dog only.

This one is a radio show called Peel Sessions, with much more artists, as you can see by the tracklist.

Guest sirch

John Peel was an English Radio DJ. you must know that, chassis??

the above is 1 of his shows from '97. the whole thing, incl. some Black Dog tracks he decided to play at the time.

they've not been released by Warp as a Peel session EP. unlike the other famous Peel sessions, and the one the original tBd did in '95, i think.. which is what you must have. innit.

the above is 1 of his shows from '97. the whole thing, incl. some Black Dog tracks he decided to play at the time.

they've not been released by Warp as a Peel session EP. unlike the other famous Peel sessions, and the one the original tBd did in '95, i think.. which is what you must have. innit.

Haha, yes I know who John Peel is. I was half way through his Biography when something distracted me. I'll get round to it though.

I probably should have read through the track list, everything is clear now.

Guest sirch

Haha, yes I know who John Peel is. I was half way through his Biography when something distracted me. I'll get round to it though.

I probably should have read through the track list, everything is clear now.

sorry, i assumed you were an American. just seen you live in Ireland, so of course you know who John peel was. :)

Archived