IGNORED

The Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Guest Mirezzi

Guest abusivegeorge

you mean my biting wit, charming good looks and ability to down more gin than even the most besotted English naval officer weren't enough?

I'd never noticed any of those things, but that's probably because I, myself, am all of those things also.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gary C

Chen does not represent a valid Englishman. We're still shit, just a little better than before.

1-0 and second place to USA is absolutely NOTHING to he upbeat about. Don't let the flip-flop media fool you.

Guest Alex C

lol

The Germans are shit, bar Lahm they're poor at the back, they were poor themselves against Ghana and Serbia

confident of getting a result

Guest Alex C

Also it was great to hear the lads singing God Save The Queen, honourable mentions to JT and Upson. Was also good to actually hear the fans and not the fucking buzzing

Please can Italy go out today and New Zealand through, it'd be hilarious

Chen does not represent a valid Englishman. We're still shit, just a little better than before.

1-0 and second place to USA is absolutely NOTHING to he upbeat about. Don't let the flip-flop media fool you.

Sez the cunt with a cameroon badge for an avatar. Bet you flash that bad bwoy off down the pub don't you?

well done lad. well done.

Also Landon Donovan's post-match interview..wtf..."I've been on a long journey for the last four years..." no you haven't, you've played some football, not found your inner meaning.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

Die Nationalmannschaft!!

If we play like we did for about 20/30 minutes of the first half of the Slovenia match we'll put up a good fight.

Guest Richy

If England beat Germany we'll never hear the end of it. It took them about 3 years to get over that 5-1.

I wonder how many times we'll hear 1966 mentioned on Saturday. Especially if that cunt Tyldesley is commentating.

Guest Dirty Protest

In reality Rob Greens left England with the impossible task of Germany, Argentina, Spain/Brazil. US have Ghana, Uruguay and if they can beat them the lesser of the good teams the Netherlands. England had the best chance in years to get to the final, but they bottled it. Can anyone really see them winning the next 4 matches?

wow, some of you have really sucked up the media created england hype. england aren't that good anymore. keep on living on that championship 44 years ago like it's still somehow relevant. it's telling that some qualifying game 8 years ago still gives a hard on for some people.

it's like here, where finns are still raving about their only hockey championship 15 years after it happened like it's somehow relevant today. it's sad and embarrasing.

Guest Alex C

In reality Rob Greens left England with the impossible task of Germany, Argentina, Spain/Brazil. US have Ghana, Uruguay and if they can beat them the lesser of the good teams the Netherlands. England had the best chance in years to get to the final, but they bottled it. Can anyone really see them winning the next 4 matches?

You have to play the best to be the best, if we can do it then it shuts the rest of the world up.

Spain will finish second in that group and land Brazil, wait for it.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

I doubt we'll win, but it may be a good match regardless.

I'm not looking forward to all the hyperbole.

And remember, to show your support you have to shout "Auf Geht's!", meaning Come On! Geht's is pronounced Gay-Uts more or less.

Guest Dirty Protest

wow, some of you have really sucked up the media created england hype. england aren't that good anymore. keep on living on that championship 44 years ago like it's still somehow relevant. it's telling that some qualifying game 8 years ago still gives a hard on for some people.

it's like here, where finns are still raving about their only hockey championship 15 years after it happened like it's somehow relevant today. it's sad and embarrasing.

Youre a happy bundle of balls arnt you. England are a better team than they were 8 years ago. They could do with Scoles and a 100% Owen, but Rooney and Gerrard didnt play then, so thats those 2 positions covered. Come on, 'Danny Mills is fucking brilliant' was in the team (im still not sure if the rest of the Leeds support sung that with irony, i know i did).

Alex, I would like to have your faith, but winning cups requires a certain amount of luck and that wasnt Englands this year.

Guest Gary C

Greece won the Euros without playing the best. Sure, nobody remembers the tournament, but I bet they're proud of it.

That run of teams is just too daunting for England, I think.

I think a win against Germany may finally ignite this team. It's actually the only thing that could at the moment, but I don't think we can get past Argentina or Spain after that.

Seriously, I've watched every tournament since 96, and I'm just too jaded to care anymore. Same hype every tournament, same poor performances and claims of reinvention afterwards.

Fuck England.

Guest Conor74

wow, some of you have really sucked up the media created england hype.

The difference between pundits in Ireland and England. And Dunphy and Giles get even more critical of Ireland's own performances, they have flung items around the studio during games involving our national side.

Not saying either are right or wrong, maybe they are all wrong.

Hansen: “Once England got the goal the confidence levels surged, they were excellent.”

Eamon Dunphy: “They just didn’t grow in confidence at all after the goal.”

Lineker: “The goal really settled them, didn’t it? They pushed on from there.”

Ronnie Whelan: “You’d think they’d have kicked on from when they scored, but they actually got worse.”

Roy: “England’s crossing has been absolutely outstanding.”

John Giles: “Some of the crossing was just awful.”

Shearer: “Rooney looks more confident, he’s getting around the pitch a lot better.”

Dunphy: “It’s shocking to see Rooney so subdued, he’s been reduced to a shivering wreck.”

Shearer: “They look much more comfortable on the ball, they’re passing it with a purpose, with pace, they’re closing down – a much better performance, it’s encouraging.”

Giles: “They’re much better than they have been, but they couldn’t have been worse.”

No arguments, then. Second half. England held on. Full-time. Ready?

Lee Dixon: “A great performance.”

Dunphy: “Shocking . . . absolutely incredibly bad . . . pretty awful stuff.”

Hansen: “The commitment was there, the spirit was there, the enterprise was there, the creativity was there, they passed it better – they could have scored five or six quite easily. Capello will obviously be delighted with the performance.”

Giles: “If that’s the shackles off what’ll they be like when the shackles are back on?”

’Arry Redknapp: “We played with pace, we got after them, we pressed them, there wasn’t a weakness in the team.”

Dunphy: “They were astonishingly poor.”

Lineker: “He looked more like the Rooney we know.”

Ronnie: “Rooney is a major worry, his form, his body language, his demeanour, everything.”

Dixon: “Gerrard was outstanding.”

Dunphy: “I can’t believe how bad Gerrard was today.”

’Arry: “Across midfield we were top drawer.”

Giles: “Barry got worse as the game went on, Milner, Gerrard and Lampard the same.”

’Arry: “Bring it on! Whoever we play we’ll be difficult to beat.”

Ronnie: “If they don’t improve they’ll go straight out, it was a very, very inept performance.”

Youre a happy bundle of balls arnt you. England are a better team than they were 8 years ago. They could do with Scoles and a 100% Owen, but Rooney and Gerrard didnt play then, so thats those 2 positions covered. Come on, 'Danny Mills is fucking brilliant' was in the team (im still not sure if the rest of the Leeds support sung that with irony, i know i did).

Alex, I would like to have your faith, but winning cups requires a certain amount of luck and that wasnt Englands this year.

It's all the same song and dance with England leading up to every major tournament. "This is the best team ever" and all that baseless hype, always followed with sever underrating of other countries squads and belittling of their national leagues.

And yet the English squad peter out at the semis at the latest. I remember the hype that England had the strongest squad in years for the 06 WC and it it ended in disappointment in the quarters.

Sure the EPL might be the strongest league in the world, but no wonder when the top teams starting elevens are manned mostly by great players from all corners of the world with guest appearances from "one of our lads".

Guest Dirty Protest

It's all the same song and dance with England leading up to every major tournament. "This is the best team ever" and all that baseless hype, always followed with sever underrating of other countries squads and belittling of their national leagues.

I was reading the team sheets as i wrote that, there appears to be only 1 person in the conversation caught up in hype.

Guest Conor74

That is kinda the only annoying thing. Oh and the knighthoods for people like John Terry. But England have a good team, some good players, and are a lot less cynical than some sides. I think a lot would revel in an England win, or at least would be sangfroid about it...but the thought of Sky and BBC and ITV for the next few years, and Sky in particular, is a bit of a turn off.

I was in Ireland when the 06 WC was on and I remember the Irish(?) pundits falling over each other to fellate the great England. I thought it was funny that one day the Irish can't stand the English and the next they are all singing praises to England and how much better the EPL is than the La Liga or Serie A.

There's just one here caught up in hype, but I am sure the majority of the Daily Mail reading English public have gobbled up the kool-aid so they'll be pissing it until Christmas.

edit:I am not looking to start shit, just needed to vent on something that has bothered me for some time. Any rampant nationalism and baseless hype just bugs me. It's just a silly game anyways. :sorcerer:

Archived