IGNORED

Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance

Guest Fishtank

I bought a friend the Berserk Dvd Boxset for his birtday a few weeks ago. Now theres an anime!

Berserk really needs to be remade .

no.

Guest Fishtank

I bought a friend the Berserk Dvd Boxset for his birtday a few weeks ago. Now theres an anime!

no.

I'd like to see a Berserk movie following the events after the ceremony from the manga.

There could easily be a few more seasons made. If they made a million dragonballs and sailormoons, berserk deserves its own anime at least as much.

there were those leaked cells, .. last year on whenever. so maybe it's being remade.

err, so asuka isn't actually dead... also i think asuka likes shinji but he's clueless of it all, next movie perhaps their relationship will develop i hope

• 1 month later...

i just watched 2.22 after watching the original series for the first time. all in 2 days, ...yeah. i didn't watch 1.11 because the sound on my rip didn't work.

ANYWAYS.

the original series... absolutely amazing in some aspects - characters, most of pacing, *angel design* (yeah, i thought the original ones were much better), ...

but on the other hand, the relations between the characters are just a bit too stale for my taste. they just don't go far enough. there is some development (relationship-wise), but not as much as i'd like. i realize i'm like 15 years late to the party and that the contemporary instant-fun anime might have spoiled me. but damn, if they're setting it up for a romance, why don't they give into it at the some point? in any case, i enjoyed most of the series immensely, it was only the last few episodes that things started bothering me. they could keep it philosophic and introspective while maintaining some storyline. i know they probably wanted it to wander off completely into abstract thoughts, ideas and memories but they could have incorporated it into some plot. and i can't say i really enjoyed the ending, either. it's just totally heavy-handed and it all cuts too abruptly from the main storyline. although everything told, i can understand how this is such an important series.

so then i watched 2.22 immediately after ep26 - and at times i felt like they added in all the right things that were missing. i can't really say what they left out, cause i watched the original just hours before that so all of it was still fresh, it all blended into one pleasant whole. even with the series ending and with the different realities, possibilities - the 2.22 felt like one of those, and a very enjoyable one at that. it was probably the best possible way to watch 2.22 - immediately after the series. because you don't miss all the important things/developments that i'm sure were left out. but yeah, 3d cgi and cheesy song parts and all... i liked the goggled girl though. hot.

oh yeah, about hotness. funny choice - 14 years. it's a dangerous age to present the characters as sexually appealing, but they definitely did that. hey, different times, right? which leads me to another thought - what exactly was the intended audience for the original series? the concepts and ideas that are handed at the end are probably bit too abstract and complex for 14-year olds. i'll be 30 this year and while i have worked (some of) that stuff out myself in my life, it was still engaging to see those kids dealing with those questions and dilemmas. so i guess i'm also among the intended audience. so how exactly were those 14yr old girls flashing skin supposed to make me feel?

cause, to be honest, they made me feel funny. in my pants.

i just watched 2.22 after watching the original series for the first time. all in 2 days, ...yeah. i didn't watch 1.11 because the sound on my rip didn't work.

ANYWAYS.

the original series... absolutely amazing in some aspects - characters, most of pacing, *angel design* (yeah, i thought the original ones were much better), ...

but on the other hand, the relations between the characters are just a bit too stale for my taste. they just don't go far enough. there is some development (relationship-wise), but not as much as i'd like. i realize i'm like 15 years late to the party and that the contemporary instant-fun anime might have spoiled me. but damn, if they're setting it up for a romance, why don't they give into it at the some point? in any case, i enjoyed most of the series immensely, it was only the last few episodes that things started bothering me. they could keep it philosophic and introspective while maintaining some storyline. i know they probably wanted it to wander off completely into abstract thoughts, ideas and memories but they could have incorporated it into some plot. and i can't say i really enjoyed the ending, either. it's just totally heavy-handed and it all cuts too abruptly from the main storyline. although everything told, i can understand how this is such an important series.

so then i watched 2.22 immediately after ep26 - and at times i felt like they added in all the right things that were missing. i can't really say what they left out, cause i watched the original just hours before that so all of it was still fresh, it all blended into one pleasant whole. even with the series ending and with the different realities, possibilities - the 2.22 felt like one of those, and a very enjoyable one at that. it was probably the best possible way to watch 2.22 - immediately after the series. because you don't miss all the important things/developments that i'm sure were left out. but yeah, 3d cgi and cheesy song parts and all... i liked the goggled girl though. hot.

oh yeah, about hotness. funny choice - 14 years. it's a dangerous age to present the characters as sexually appealing, but they definitely did that. hey, different times, right? which leads me to another thought - what exactly was the intended audience for the original series? the concepts and ideas that are handed at the end are probably bit too abstract and complex for 14-year olds. i'll be 30 this year and while i have worked (some of) that stuff out myself in my life, it was still engaging to see those kids dealing with those questions and dilemmas. so i guess i'm also among the intended audience. so how exactly were those 14yr old girls flashing skin supposed to make me feel?

I was thinking and feeling almost the same, watching all this around two months ago. The relation that turned me on the most however was

the gay angel relation to Shinji

Hideki Anno was pretty messed up at the time of making the show. I suspect he made the show for people like me who don't get any. The audience is supposed to relate to these characters, that's why romance doesn't develop very much. I think it's more realistic (or at least I find it far more relatable).

I remember one of the super nerds who over analyse the show noticed that according to one of the files seen in the background, it is likely Asuka was in fact 13 for most of the series.

I believe the show was intended for teenage boys. It was in the same timeslot and channel that teenage boys watched. I think a lot of teenagers feel like Shinji and Asuka (or maybe I'm just weird) and so they'd find the themes quite relatable. That said, I don't think I would've understood it when I was 14. I was 18/19 when I first saw it.

Asuka doesn't seem to have any attraction to Shinji in this film when she clearly does in the show. Shinji doesn't seem to have much to do with her either... so why'd they replace Touji with her? It just turned the most gut wrenching moment of the series into one that was just loud and kinda boring.

while i don't agree about asuka not having any attraction to shinji...

...i definitely agree they ruined the unit 03 accident scene with the swap. i do understand how they wanted to fix the original somehow (shinji doesn't know toji is the pilot, yet he still refuses to destroy unit 03... i read that in manga, he learns about toji piloting it before it all goes wrong) but in 2.22 it ends up just too banal and blunt.

My friend saw this the other day and said it was better than the previous version with new scenes that follow the manga more closely. I know there's some Eva fans here, anyone else seen it yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjqY6kXfXOA

i've never understood the fascination with evangelion. ...

no offence of course. jus sayin'

• 2 years later...

people seem confused...

Rebuild of Evangelion, known in Japan as Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版 Evangerion Shin Gekijōban?), is a Japanese animated film series and a retelling of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion anime TV series, produced by Studio Khara and KlockWorx in partnership with Gainax. Hideaki Anno served as the writer and general manager of the project, with Kazuya Tsurumaki and Masayuki directing the films themselves. Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Ikuto Yamashita, and Shirō Sagisu returned to provide character designs, mechanical designs, and music respectively.

The film tetralogy utilizes newly available 3D CG animation and provides new scenes, settings, and characters, with a completely new conclusion in the fourth film. Another stated intention of the series is for it to be more accessible to non-fans than the original TV series and films were.[1][2]

the blue girl yeah that's a lol right there...

Magi character is yet evolving, there's still 2 movies left...

Asuka doesn't feel attracted to Shinji? dude are you on drugs?

don't try to imagine how you would react to these movies if you hadn't seen the series cause that's physically/psychological impossible, The mind lacks reversibility, just like time...

i just watched the 3 movies in a row last night and i must say, if you were slightly disappointed with these 2, well, try not to be over rational in 3.33 or you'll have a bad time...

Archived