IGNORED

Need burning-software for DVD + Subtitle Track

Terpentintollwut

I need to burn a proper Video-DVD that any pleayer will read - my video is already in the right format (MPEG2 PAL DVD), and I have an .srt subtitle-file (which I could convert that to any other subtitle-format as well), but I'm lacking a program that simply lets me burn the video and include the subtitles as an optional track that can be switched on and off at will.

So what I need is exactly what "ConvertXtoDVD" does, minus all the converting etc, just the burning. But the trial of that includes a watermark, so I can't use it.

There's gotta be a prog out for doing that ... ? I even have a stupid Ulead DVD Movie Factory that came with my tv card, but the piece of shit doesn't support subtitles. :cisfor:

I found that one too, and it looked good, but for some reason it always fucks it up. I told it to not convert my file as it's already the right format, but it does it anyway, and then it only burns the first 7 minutes of the film. :w00t:

i spent fucking months trying to find decent freeware that did fully featured dvd conversion/burning.

no dice.

i ended up buying dvd architect, which works fine.

Does it do menues and all that? I mean not the shitty preset-ones where you only have your clips and maybe a preview but the ones you can build at will to include whatever, artwork, switch audio commentary on and off etc. ... ?

Does it do menues and all that? I mean not the shitty preset-ones where you only have your clips and maybe a preview but the ones you can build at will to include whatever, artwork, switch audio commentary on and off etc. ... ?

Aye, it does the full DVD authoring thing - and like Sony Vegas it's light on resources and gets stuff done fast.

I used it for my final year uni project and was shitting myself as I'd left it to the last day to author the DVD (and had never even used DVD Architect before). But within an hour I had a fully animated menu system with proper chapters an' all that actually looked decent.

I haven't yet tried it, but you can actually do the whole menu structure yourself, with a script of sorts?

Like, say, I want to do something as complex as this:

Play Movie -> *film starts playing*

Scene Selection -> Page with Thumbnails

Settings -> Audio Settings -> Page with language selection

Settings -> Video Settings -> Page with subtitle selection etc.

Extras -> Special Features -> Making of, etc

Extras -> Activate Audio Commentary

Extras -> View Artwork -> (image selection with remote control)

Here's the press release which pretty much answers all of that -

Add DVD Architect Pro software to author DVDs or Blu-ray Disc media with multiple video angles, subtitles, multiple languages, and special features. Preview and test your work in real time. Apply Brightness and Contrast, Auto Levels, Crop, and Anti-Flicker filters. Set CSS and Macrovision® copy-protection flags for masters.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/dvd

I didn't use it for anything that complex but in mine I definitely used the following -

Play Movie -> *film starts playing*

Extras -> Special Features -> Making of, etc

Extras -> View Artwork -> (image selection with remote control)

Well as with all the Sony products you can just download the demo, then find some naughty things to 'fix' the demo. Though that would be illegal so you really shouldn't do that at all ....

i didn't do any of that at all.

not a bit of it.

although some thieving cunt or two might have posted videos on youtube regarding EXACTLY this. and indeed how you wold go about these things if you're a thieving cunt.

which i am not. not at all, or even a tiny bit.

Is DVD Architect just an extension for Sony Vegas which can also be installed solely without Vegas, or is there a difference between the versions the two of you linked ... ?

(http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio and http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/dvd )

Yeah they can integrate together, but can be used completely separately too (the latter in fact was how I used it - I exported an MPEG2 from Vegas, then used the MPEG2 and some jpegs from photoshop to build the DVD). Think of it like the Adobe packages - they all can talk to one another but you can use any of them standalone too.

As a test I tried REC 2.

Using Sony DVD Architect I was able to place the movie in. Then when you double click on the movie (so you can get into the media mode, usually this is where you can create chapters) you then create a subtitle track.

At this point the problem for lied with the subtitle file that came with REC 2, it was an srt file. Architect doesn't seem to like to import srt, so I used a srt to sub converter program called Subtitle Workshop. Import the sub and it works fine.

Yeah I can also recommend Sub. Workshop, it does pretty much all the formats. It's not just a converter but allows you to load a video file and create the subs in the first place, I did mine with it too.

I'm looking into DVD Architect, solo-version, I don't need Vegas :flower:

Trial won't let me install yet as I apparently don't have .NET framework 3. Honestly I never knew what that is, reading into it briefly, I wonder - could this fuck up some of my other already installed programs? I have quite a few that I need to work with often, I wouldn't want any of them to stop working just because of that ... not sure if I should upgrade :shrug:

What exactly does this thing do?

Installing .NET3 will not fuck up any of your previous .NET installs (or other things that need .net). I actually have .NET 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0RC on this machine with no conflicts or compatibility issues.

.net is a collection of commonly used libraries and APIs that programmers can use so that the installs can be considerably less painless and slightly smaller to the end user. Unfortunately, and as you've noticed, it does mean that users have to physically install the .net platform - but it means that once they have they won't then have to faff about installing other things to make a .net application work.

Archived