IGNORED

why the fuck do we have a football sub-forum?

Guest blicero

Guest AcrossCanyons

football forum is rubbish.

also no need for a film one either.

remove football, why not just post it in gen ban? there aren't that many discussions to be had that couldn't fit in a thread/a couple of threads.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest the anonymous forumite

1) I meant that if we did have a movie subforum, the threads I feel may be "one time" threads, and once interest for a particular movie died off, the thread would be abandoned. True, this happens in General Banter all the time, but there is enough fresh topics to mitigate that whereas there may not be enough movies (and television shows if we were to cover that gamut as well) to keep the forum 'alive' enough to warrant it's existance.

2)Sport discussions are a bit different as even with occasional events like the World Cup, people still can go back and debate things after the fact for years afterwards - I just don't see that with movies.

Does that clarify things a bit?

Thanks for clarifying.

1) I don't think that there isn't enough movies to talk about, just look at the number of pages of the pinned thread. But even if one admits that the number of movies is not big enough as to open a subforum, isn't it the case with all the featured artists subforums ? Is it not the case with the football subforum ? Specially when I see all those silly threads created just to keep a forum alive (see featured artists subforums). If a forum was to be created only in regards to its potential threads, then featured artists subforums should never have been opened in the first place, because an artist release a record every two-three years. Dude, CYLOB subforum ???? 5 pages total !!! For how many years ? So many movies have been out since the invention of cinema that such a subforum just couldn't suffer of lifelessness.

2) So you're saying I can't discuss 2001 or The Good, the Bad, the Ugly ? See, the foundations of my desire for this subforum is the fact that

a) most people get lazy with the pinned thread and just post a few lines because they are somehow aware that their post is gonna fall into

oblivion because of the overwhelming number of pages and randomness of movies mentionned.

b) If I want to see a movie but don't know what to watch, then I'm gonna go to the subforum and check the threads and all comments related. Same for posting my opinion about it. Just check the Inception thread. A search through the pinned thread is just too painful, really.

Guest blicero

Here's what I don't understand:

There's been a Fantasy Football thread pinnned to the top of General Banter for years now, and no-one has ever complained about it - I create a subforum for discussion of football, since a lot of WATMM users like football, and thinking that a subforum would be even better since now if there is a rash of football-related threads, they will be segregated from General Banter so the people not interested in football won't even have to worry about skipping over those threads to begin with.

I think people just like to complain.

whoa. this thread got a little out of hand while i was away.

JR, i think the distinction between a football sub-forum and a watmm fantasy football thread (for me, anyway) is that (a) the fantasy football thread was to organize a WATMM fantasy league, right was it not? and (b) 1 is a thread, and one is an entire sub-forum.

Anyway, i'm not THAT bothered, but i found it odd that people make such a big deal about what should/shouldn't be a sub-forum, and one day a new one completely unrelated to music shows up... seemingly on a whim. now the floodgates are open. "why not a movie forum?" "why not a snares forum?" "why not a hip hop forum?" etc etc

wouldn't it be funny if i just deleted this thread?

Here's what I don't understand:

There's been a Fantasy Football thread pinnned to the top of General Banter for years now, and no-one has ever complained about it - I create a subforum for discussion of football, since a lot of WATMM users like football, and thinking that a subforum would be even better since now if there is a rash of football-related threads, they will be segregated from General Banter so the people not interested in football won't even have to worry about skipping over those threads to begin with.

I think people just like to complain.

whoa. this thread got a little out of hand while i was away.

JR, i think the distinction between a football sub-forum and a watmm fantasy football thread (for me, anyway) is that (a) the fantasy football thread was to organize a WATMM fantasy league, right was it not? and (b) 1 is a thread, and one is an entire sub-forum.

Anyway, i'm not THAT bothered, but i found it odd that people make such a big deal about what should/shouldn't be a sub-forum, and one day a new one completely unrelated to music shows up... seemingly on a whim. now the floodgates are open. "why not a movie forum?" "why not a snares forum?" "why not a hip hop forum?" etc etc

Well, since I control the floodgates, there's no fear of a Snares sub-forum EVER showing up :emotawesomepm9:

You do raise a somewhat valid point about a sub-forum not dedicated at all to music, but then again, General Banter is pretty much that way now since Music Discussion came about - and I think WATMM's better for it.

Guest the anonymous forumite

. now the floodgates are open. "why not a movie forum?" "why not a snares forum?" "why not a hip hop forum?" etc etc

Wouldn't it be funny if you actually had good arguments ? Your slippery slope is just :facepalm:

I would definitely make use of a movie / tv sub forum.

I am always finding old shows that ive never seen before.

I doubt anyone would want to strike up a conversation about bolton vs. southampton in 2006.

I would definitely make use of a movie / tv sub forum.

I am always finding old shows that ive never seen before.

I doubt anyone would want to strike up a conversation about bolton vs. southampton in 2006.

You haven't seen ChenGOD's blog then I take it...

Yes. No more fucking subforums. It's lame enough as it is. General Banter is for general banter about general things. Are we just going to give every topic/artist a subforum so those that can't be bothered to enjoy certain things don't have to look at a bunch of threads?

i dont have a problem with it but i think its bullshit that a sport gets a subforum and movies only get a pinned thread.

No one asked for/suggested a movie subforum!

WHAT ?? http://forum.watmm.com/topic/58067-movies-discussion-subforum/page__view__findpost__p__1375495

We seriously need a movies subforum, think about it, the possibility of having one thread per movie, to easily find the discussion on such and such, way more important and popular than football, although I don't mind the football subforum. The argument of having too many subforums is just too weak, if you're not interested in movies, just don't go there. There are many subforums I don't think are necessary here, therefore I don't go there and that's it.

C'mon.

I meant nobody asked me DIRECTLY for it... I honestly didn't see that thread.

I guess a Movie/Television show subforum wouldn't be a bad thing... then again, as transient as movies are, they tend to get a bit of attention, then fade away after a bit - look at the Avatar thread, for example. Is anyone going to comment on that again? Possibly, but not likely. I think the pinned topic works better for movies since the thread's discussion is more in flow with the releases of movies than what a separate thread in a subforum would provide.

Anyone agree/disagree and can provide a compelling argument for/against?

yeep, and if we subforum everything there would be no need for genban (except as a newbie haunt, be kind of sad.

hang on, there are blogs >?>

does that mean that we won't be able to post anecdotes from our lives in genban any more soon, instead finding them corralled in some never read blogland. heh (jk - but yaknow !)

Archived