IGNORED

Future of DJing?

chaproy

Guest ansgaria

Interesting concept. Pretty much just Virtual DJ on a touch screen.

On this year's Roskilde festival in the culture area there were two similar screens put up which you were free to mess around with. You could pick three different tracks or a mash-up mode (the latter being the most interesting by far). You could load up different samples in real time and they're always be in sync. You could load up a bassline, then a drum beat, then guitars, vocals, everything. Each sample would more or less float around on the screen as a bubble, and you could adjust the size of it which would change the volume and then two sliders that seemed to be set for modulation and what seemed to be a lowpass filter. I couldn't help but stand in front of the screen with the headphones on and move around like I was DJing some serious shit and the people around couldn't hear shit so they just saw me moving around in silence. One of the most amazing features was this explode button that would make each bubble/sample explode into little bits and almost obliterate the sound as well until you dragged all the parts together and it'd form a new sound pretty much. I wouldn't mind having such a thing at home where I could DJ my own samples.

That seems more futuristic than the one in the video I must admit.

Nice but not for me...... Just yet.

Saw a couple of demos at Sonar this and last year of some impressive tools.

But I'll stick to 12" round black discs for now thanks.

No headphone cue, no sale.

That software auto-beatmatching works fine for house music that all starts on the 1, but for any of the interesting dance music out there you'd trainwreck like mad without a headphone cue to line things up.

No headphone cue, no sale.

That software auto-beatmatching works fine for house music that all starts on the 1, but for any of the interesting dance music out there you'd trainwreck like mad without a headphone cue to line things up.

The software (Emulator) is just a controller for whatever DJ software you happen to be running (it currently supports Traktor, Virtual DJ, Ableton and Deckadance according to the website). Traktor and Ableton definitely have headphone cues....dunno about the other two.

More info here: http://www.pablomartin.com/emulator/

Oh I see, it's just a hardware interface, then. I thought it was all-in-one controller & software.

In that case, it's pretty cool. I still have no problems jumping around like a fool on stage spinning CDs, though. :D

Archived