IGNORED

PUTIN

Joyrex

personally I think it's much better for a president to be a golf-playing, bike-riding libertarian than some sort of gung-ho martial artist with a penchant for firearms.

um, lol

what's the problem? you don't think Obama is a libertarian?

who me? I'm not talking about the libertarian party btw, I'm talking about the principals of libertarianism on a countrywide scale. ie not invading other countries and killing people as often. in this regard I think Obama is quite libertarian.

I understand he's involved in a war in which people's liberties are compromised, which is obviously not libertarian, however he wasn't in charge when the decision was taken to invade and I believe he would like to get the US out of there sooner rather than later if he could. I still think his general principals are that of liberty, and not liberty in how some of you Americans think (like, selfish self liberty to do whatever the hell you like, carry guns etc etc). I believe that giving people individual liberty to do as they please does not necessarily create a society that practices libertarianism (the action of the individual/individuals not infringing or denying the rights of others).

anyway, it was just a throw away comment in my original post, so should not have been taken too seriously.....but I guess we know who the tea party members are on watmm now.....

lol I agree BCM. Nothing wrong with guns though IMHO, gun control is retarded. Criminals do NOT follow laws.

Also fuck you! I was not actually calling you a retard, I was just confused by your statement.

I've always thought of "libertarianism" as having 3 meanings.

Social libertarianism is when you think that people should be allowed to do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt other people. So social libertarians would be in favour of gay marriage, public nudity, allowing people to wear burkas if they want to, etc.

Economic libertarianism is when you think that people should not be taxed at all, or as little as possible, so that the economy can flourish. They think that social programs that are normally payed for with taxes (public education, public healthcare, the construction of roads and other infrastructure) should be managed by the free market.

Philosophical libertarianism is when you think that the universe is not causally determined, and because of this we have free will in a robust sense.

So are you saying that there is a fourth kind of libertarianism? One that is opposed to starting wars and killing people in other countries? I've never heard of that, but there are many things I haven't heard of, so you may be right... but, if you are, that makes "libertarianism" a very confusing word.

Jesus Christ drop it already, I've explained my reasoning far too much already... I wasn't even being serious in my original post anyway, just made a flippant remark for shits and giggles. I just was trying to say Obama seems like a nice (socially) liberal type of guy really - opposing the Arizona immigration law, pro gay marriage etc...

Archived