IGNORED

Koran Burning

murve33

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

during the red scare and mcarthy era it was filled with 'hate your enemy' propaganda too, but at least Russia actually had nukes pointed at the united states. There was some form of a concrete threat even if it was exaggerated and used to further US agendas, with al qaeda the 'threat' is minuscule in comparison. It makes absolutely no sense to me that we are still letting it define us, unless you take the position that even the people in charge know it's complete bullshit.

i dunno, how many people died in the cold war? How many people have died in 9/11, iraq war, afghanistan, pakistan, all those car and suicide bombings since? i think you downplay the threat a bit much

during the red scare and mcarthy era it was filled with 'hate your enemy' propaganda too, but at least Russia actually had nukes pointed at the united states. There was some form of a concrete threat even if it was exaggerated and used to further US agendas, with al qaeda the 'threat' is minuscule in comparison. It makes absolutely no sense to me that we are still letting it define us, unless you take the position that even the people in charge know it's complete bullshit.

i dunno, how many people died in the cold war? How many people have died in 9/11, iraq war, afghanistan, pakistan, all those car and suicide bombings since? i think you downplay the threat a bit much

it depends on when the cold war started. It also depend on how you perceive what the war on terror actually means. Does the war on terror involve the attacks between Israeli's and Palestinians? The war on terror is by design not clearly defined, the narrative enables people to include pretty much anybody they like in it, anybody who uses 'terror' to achieve some kind of goal. It's a war on an idea not a concrete thing. You also have to specify what suicide bombings you are talking about, ones inside active war zones? or ones in other muslim countries? The cold war was also in a way used to umbrella many things together, but it was more clearly defined. It was a war against communism, albeit it had been used as an excuse to squash any uprising we wanted to get rid of. Vietnam & the Korean war were part of the cold war, our original war on Afghanistan was also part of the cold war. Those alone totaling up the deaths on both sides far outweighs death incurred by the things you listed above.

My point is that there was ample evidence that Russia had nuclear weapons ready to strike at us, there is not ample evidence to suggest a terrorist or any individual group can accomplish something of that magnitude or even close. Dirty bombs and suitcase nukes have long since been exposed as urban myths. I just dug out a stack of magazines my mom had in her attic she saved from around 9/11/01 - 11/01/01. A good chunk of the articles are people basically exposing how dark and twisted can my imaginary terrorist scenario be. What if terrorists get crop dusters and poison everybody with chemical weapons? what if they poison our water supply with anthrax? what if the bomb an elementary school? There was never proof for any of these things, that didn't stop plenty of people from printing them.

During the cold war we didn't legally authorize torture, we also didn't legally authorize targeted assassinations of american citizens. Why do it now?

Archived