IGNORED

Koran Burning

murve33

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not that i agree with what this preacher wants to do at all but it's equally as stupid to use the reason of 'our troops will be in danger' for not burning it. the guy has every right to burn it, and the biggest reason why he shouldn't do it is extremely poor taste.

the trap of we can't do or act a certain way in america because it will harm our troops is a dangerous mode of thought

not that i agree with what this preacher wants to do at all but it's equally as stupid to use the reason of 'our troops will be in danger' for not burning it. the guy has every right to burn it, and the biggest reason why he shouldn't do it is extremely poor taste.

the trap of we can't do or act a certain way in america because it will harm our troops is a dangerous mode of thought

I disagree here. I think that this act will only give more basis for militant Islamic fundamentalists to spur the fight against American interests and culture onwards, in the form of more terrorist attacks, kidnappings and destruction of the civilized Middle East. Not that this reason to fight Americans would be any less bogus than all the other reasons that insurgent leaders offer, but still, it will heap another onto the pile.

So, while these dumbfucks do have every right to burn the book, they have much more reason not to. It's really embarrassing that they cannot see the Koran as a text open to as many layers and types of scriptural and practical interpretation as our Bible, and to burn the book in the name of the worst, most uncharitable possible interpretation. That's like thinking that astronomy is a sham just because people once thought the sun revolves around the Earth.

edit: lol, I originally wrote 'astrology,' which is a sham.

Guest beatfanatic

agree with essines, that sentence did read a bit odd. If you didn't include Pakistan I don't think there is too much of an asian muslim contigent? I'm probably wrong but I can't think of anywhere apart from a few states in India. Actually wait I think Malaysia and some countries around there are into that whole thing. Bye

try going to a school where out of a class of 35 kids, you're one of 3 that are white, and saying the word "pakistani". you'll be met by a gang at breaktime. the preferred term that didn't get your head kicked in was "asian".

you guys are confusing "paki" with "pakistani". paki is definitely offensive while pakistani is not.

I disagree here. I think that this act will only give more basis for militant Islamic fundamentalists to spur the fight against American interests and culture onwards, in the form of more terrorist attacks, kidnappings and destruction of the civilized Middle East.

all of that could potentially happen (not will, but the possibility exists) but to not do it for the reasons you listed above is playing exactly into the hands of people we claim we are fighting. it does nothing but reinforce their projected power.

I think the preacher is an asshole and he's obviously doing it to get his 15 minutes of fame by doing something clearly tasteless and controversial, but at the same time to inhibit actions or freedom of speech in our own country because the middle east will be upset is one of the most illogical things i've ever heard.

it is exactly the same flavor of flawed logic as 'we shouldn't protest the war because it puts our troops in danger'

we'll hear more in the news about how burning a few korans will cause harm and we won't hear much about the direct harm caused to them by bombing 100 civilians . I'd be willing to bet the latter is much more harmful to our troops

agree with essines, that sentence did read a bit odd. If you didn't include Pakistan I don't think there is too much of an asian muslim contigent? I'm probably wrong but I can't think of anywhere apart from a few states in India. Actually wait I think Malaysia and some countries around there are into that whole thing. Bye

try going to a school where out of a class of 35 kids, you're one of 3 that are white, and saying the word "pakistani". you'll be met by a gang at breaktime. the preferred term that didn't get your head kicked in was "asian".

you guys are confusing "paki" with "pakistani". paki is definitely offensive while pakistani is not.

lol, said perfectly by a person who hasn't had to encounter the problem of using the work pakistani over here in this country, and thusly the WATMM effect is congruent

well it would appear that there is a very definite cultural difference in the way that those situations are handled, between England and America.

if your friend was to refer to himself as "Pak-man" here, someone would definitely get offended.

Archived