IGNORED

Barca 5 - Sevilla 0

jhonny

So I've just got back from a mini-break to Barcelona, and was fortunate to catch a game at the Camp Nou. When we first planned the break I realised that coming back on Sunday meant I would probably miss any home match, but fortunately it was a Saturday (10pm!) KO, so me and my mate picked up tickets. 70 euros got us 2nd row on the third tier and the view was excellent (far superior to the new Wembley and parts of Old Trafford).

The Camp Nou is an incredible stadium, it's definitely a must visit for football fans. We didn't bother with the tour but apparently that's good too.

Barcelona lined up with 433 style formation, and it was very different from any 433/451 formation you see over here. The full-backs as usual pushed up very high (leading to Dani Alves getting his goal where he was playing like a striker). Busquets wasn't pressured at all in the middle so he didn't play particularly deep and just worked hard to get back the few times Sevilla mounted an attack. Xavi played as a pivot in the middle, with him and Busquets offering simple passes and their movement off the ball was a delight to watch. Pedro (who was excellent), Messi and Iniesta all had free roles, and while Villa played up top and bagged an excellent brace, what was most impressive was how he selflessly pulled defenders wide to all the Barca midfield to find angles across the 'D'. Messi and Villa were definitely allowed to shoot on sight, with them both scoring good goals. There was obviously times when they still tried to walk it in however.

Puyol and Pique were largely untroubled, but Puyol got a yellow and so was subbed for his own safety and Abidal came inside. What was particularly noticeable was how wide apart Puyol and Pique were happy to play. This allowed them to cut off the channels even when Abidal or Alves had been caught upfield. It also allowed Barca to mount patient attacks and to play the ball around the back with ease (it was like watching a hockey team at times). However this also allowed Fabiano and Kanoute some half chances where they used their pace and strength through the middle. Valdes (I've never been a huge fan before) plays well off his line, which allowed him to mop up any hopeful balls played through the middle, and then quickly distribute to the flanks).

Unfortunately Seville were shocking in defence and they made now attempt to pressure Barca in the middle third, which to me seems a dangerous tactic to play. Their desperation to try and out-muscle Barca lead to Konko getting two (relatively soft) yellows by the end of the first half. The Barca passing game and their excellent movement off the ball left Sevilla chasing shadows. I've never seen a football game where a team has given the ball away as little as Barca, it seemed that every move ended with an attempt on goal, it was terrific football and Barca will be a real force in the CL unless teams manage to apply real pressure to their midfield (a la Inter) and take any chances they get.

Amazing night out, definitely the best exhibition of football I've ever seen.

Good description, but yeah I thought it was common knowledge that you need to pressure (and thank you for not using "pressurize" what a god-awful slur on the language) Barcelona's midfield if you wanted to have any hope of beating them?

Good description, but yeah I thought it was common knowledge that you need to pressure (and thank you for not using "pressurize" what a god-awful slur on the language) Barcelona's midfield if you wanted to have any hope of beating them?

I agree, which is why it was baffling that Sevilla invited them on to their frail defense.

Well, Sevilla were gutted over the summer in terms of losing quality, experienced players, losing Crespo, Adriano and Squillaci from their back 4.

And they do have new management.

Still, baffling is the best way to describe that strategy.

• 2 months later...

Archived