IGNORED

PS3 Unlocked?

Guest Adjective

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, i'm sure the guy just wanted to have a place to run solitaire and screensavers and a chat room with his Playstation via Linux.. right. douche move on his part. these people hack things just because they can.. it's a power thing.

• 2 months later...
Guest Adjective

finally...

Today PlayStation 3 developer jjolano has released a PS3 homebrew application dubbed PSVibe v1.0, which as the name implies allows users to turn their DualShock 3 controller into a tuneable vibrating device.

From the ReadMe file: PSVibe turns your PS3 controller into a controllable vibrator - complete with fine tuning of the amount of force you want and the activation of motors.

http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Hacks-JailBreak/psvibe-v1-0-ps3-dualshock-3-vibrating-homebrew-arrives/

I think most PS3 games are around 9GB so it's definitely doable. Don't ask me for a source though, I read it somewhere on the internet.

Depends on the game, really, but most of the AAA+ titles are fucking massive - for example, Metal Gear Solid 4 actually filled up nearly the entire 50GB Blu-Ray disc. Insomniac's games are also huge - I seem to recall Uncharted 1 using 23GB. So unless you could copy from rentals and make backups that run on BD-R media (which is still around 1-3 USD a disc), it's going to make a lot of the desired titles unattainable for most.

Apparently Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 right now is the subject of massive hacks and glitches (my son popped it in to play it after a long time of not playing (got sick of the n00b tubers and shotgun maniacs), and he said he played in some hacked game where he got the 9th and 10th prestige and all the sidearm gold and silver emblems even though he hadn't done all the requirements as well as only being 8th prestige at the time.) and Infinity Ward claims it's their fault and Sony's fault for relying on weak security for the console.

They could get around the "no internet" issue for validation by having phone validation like some software does (and yes, I know that can be circumvented as well), as that would allow non-connected people to validate their game offline, as well as destroy the rental/used market (which I don't think any console maker these days would be sad to see go away) by doing a 1-to-1 software/console pairing.

which isn't really true since the most of the hacks existed before the key was leaked. I remember getting into arguments with people on /r/ps3 who were trying to say the reason for the mw2 hacks is because of the custom firmware, even though the prestige hacks and and even some of the flying and shit was based on a save-game hack which would be infinity wards fault for having a shitty save-file format.

ps3 hacks allow me to play mkv files. pretty happy with that

true, but ps3-media-server takes care of that and does a lot, lot more.

Aye, it's really good - Though for some reason it seems to stall quite a bit on my machine and the server crashes when trying to play back certain video codec types.

EDIT: Ah, looks like there's a brand new version as of today ( http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10688 ), maybe that'll solve things ....

Guest Space Coyote

Aye, it's really good - Though for some reason it seems to stall quite a bit on my machine and the server crashes when trying to play back certain video codec types.

EDIT: Ah, looks like there's a brand new version as of today ( http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10688 ), maybe that'll solve things ....

Yeah fair call on that but that sort of setup doesn't really work for me. Most of my computers are relatively shitty. I also don't like the idea of having either the computer and my harddrives of precious data always on, or having to turn on a computer, wait for it to boot and then tie up its limited resources to stream whatever media. Granted your average tv show, movie or music is relatively easy on even a P4 cpu but it seems kind of wasteful to have a computer running just so I can watch stuff on the PS3. I have a lot of dvds and 4gb+ mkv files as well which either don't need or don't work with my setup of something like ps3mediaserver. The Ps3 is by far the beefiest 'computer' in our house and I want to utilise that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm just going to jump on this thread to ask a random ps3 question.

1. Can i use my brothers PSN account to buy content on my ps3? FYI we dont live together. He uses another ps3.

2. If i sign into his PSN account on my ps3 can i download his content that he has bought in the PS store? In other words that content would then be installed on 2 ps3's.

Thank you, sexies.

Archived