the revolution in libya

chaosmachine

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ezkerraldean

he's desperately clinging on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12546108

good story here. sounds great fun in the Benghazi area. they've kicked out Gadaffi there, and order and calm remains. everything's still open and stuff. awesome. still bombarding protesters in places though. apparently the locals want Egypt to help. would be amazing if the Egyptian army came in to help the Libyan people. Big happy Arab unionism and stuff. yay! this is big shit

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/22/us-libya-protests-east-idUSTRE71L3NU20110222

screw this diplomacy and getting other nations involved (which will inevitably happen). those pilots should just go back and bomb his palace. problem solved. :shrug:

If the Egyptian army came in that would be a clusterfuck of the highest order. I don't think the Libyans need any help to be honest, Qaddafi's people seem to be deserting in droves.

Guest mohamed

also have a walk in egyptian egypt and ask around if mubarak was a dead horse before he started crying shit on tv, like his friend gaddafi

this idiocracy has spread way too much

Guest inteeliguntdesign

I worried he'll just ruin the country with his 2,000 dollar a-day mercenaries. Al Jaz were showing adverts put on television in Nigeria. He could probably kick out anyone who may think twice about wrecking the country and keep these rent-a-thugs happy with money. They may not give a shit about what Gadaffi's doing. They'll go back to their own country soon enough, anyway. Who the fuck is going to do anything to help? Most Arab countries have their own problems with demonstrations / state building. The EU has plenty of interest in Libya's oil. But either the joint EU army, or the member state armies, are probably loath to intervene. Perhaps NATO. Still reeks of "Oh, I'll help you there with your oil. Democracy? Of course? Now... who's going to be willing to keep selling us the oil. You? Okay: the keys to the country!"

Guest mohamed

what happens 'politically' in arab world has very little relevance, cos of the reasons stated above.

what is important here is that the new generations of arabs are cutting stereotypes old decades, once and for all.

the same stereotypes that allowed the current state of things in the arab societies and more or less subtly, everywhere on earth.

it's embarassing to read how most people in the west comment the current state of affairs, regardless of the knowledge on the matters.

it's an old, external point of view, not geographically, it's the perspective of cowards that just look after their own ass. instead, hundreds of thousands of strangers will land on your own grass.

as if what happening does not pertain to them as well. im not talking about the housewives that keep on cooking after watching a couple slaughters on the news, with their kids watching.

i am talking about those who can actually do something, being able to use any means of communication in order to do something that was not even considered before. almost.

they prolly don't give a shit about be prepared to change even in their very own day.

and they consider themselves artists. they would be the first on line if offered piles of cash to do something worth a shit in the mind of a man or worse, but that sells.

theres a shitload of evidence to wave in the face of those who are currently shutting the fuck up.

upon that material will be founded the next arab culture and subculture.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

"Amazing scenes in yard of ransacked police hq in benghazi. Massive armoury looted from barracks by defecting troops. #libya" Some Guardian journalist there according to Al Jaz. I wonder how many defecting troops there are compares to loyalists and mercenaries. This could be very fucking bloody. Perhaps the mercenaries will just take the money and fuck off when the fighting gets rough.

mohamed: What are the embarrassing perspectives here? My ego is pretty shaken you may be calling my liberal worldview into doubt. I get the feeling that most in the West are supportive (Google's voice-to-twitter for Egyptians, Anonymous, use of Twitter etc), but resort to 'realism' when discussing what their country will do about anything, i.e. they expect their government to simply look out for themselves and give lip service to the idea of democracy and human rights in other countries to appease the electorate back home.

Guest mohamed

mohamed: What are the embarrassing perspectives here? My ego is pretty shaken you may be calling my liberal worldview into doubt. I get the feeling that most in the West are supportive (Google's voice-to-twitter for Egyptians, Anonymous, use of Twitter etc), but resort to 'realism' when discussing what their country will do about anything, i.e. they expect their government to simply look out for themselves and give lip service to the idea of democracy and human rights in other countries to appease the electorate back home.

let's discuss the huge amount of shit when it comes to music market. let's discuss about the primordial role that it makes in ther mind of people.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

Also, I'm finding the UK government's reaction to Libya hilarious. We signed so many oil deals with him and sell him weapons, which he's no doubt using now, and then backpedal furiously when Gaddafi--who I assume we thought as the kind of benevolent, caring military dictator before--starts reacting in his uncharacteristically insane way to dissent in his country. Cameron was on before saying it's insane to believe smaller countries could manufacture their own defence equipment, so we're right to sell weapons to this and that country. Yeah, fucking wicked dickhead. Be sure to take some Libyan shrapnel home as a souvenir. I guess we're thinking if we make enough noise back home about Gadaffi we'll be seen as the strongest voice against his GB-sponsored massacre. Fuck you.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ezkerraldean

Fuck yes, let's kick some Gadaffi bum and help out those rebels!

Possible forseen problems:

UN forces having to stand by and watch army units massacre rebels, since rebels don't count as civilians

what happens once Benghazi etc are secure and Gadaffi is sitting in his big house in Tripoli? He'll no doubt continue to fuck over the citizens of Tripoli but UN forces would be pretty powerless to stop him there.

210541-110303-libyan-rebels.jpg

Guest ezkerraldean

whoops just started a thread, forgot about this one lol

starts Monday?! should start straight away dammit

Guest inteeliguntdesign

Isn't Gaddafi attacking the main rebel city NOW though?

If Gaddafi doesn't manage to retake Libya by Monday (not unlikely, I'd say) then at least they'll be a knife hanging over his head.

Also as usual the hypocrisy continues, where's the no-fly zone for bahrain !!?? I don't know how people can countenance one and ignore the other. It happens all the time though, this blatant hypocrisy. Always in plane view, but somehow never seen.

Maybe there's a no fly zone for the logic centres of the public's brains.

Isn't Gaddafi attacking the main rebel city NOW though?

If Gaddafi doesn't manage to retake Libya by Monday (not unlikely, I'd say) then at least they'll be a knife hanging over his head.

yeah, i see that they're playing an either or game. Maybe some of the key opposition players that have emerged, aren't exactly to the US' liking. And gaddafi could perhaps get it done by monday. Even a ground war siege would be easier if they'd surrounded the city, and still have their navy. to blockade.

Guest Z_B_Z

the situation in libyia is more blatant, or so it would seem, considering all the coverage..

What's blatant about putting down US funded terror groups.

i just mean in the sense that gaddafi is blatantly unhinged and slaughtering his own population in large numbers, and thats impelling the no fly zone. i dont want to downplay the situation in bahrain, but i dont get the impression that its as severe as libya.

Archived