italian politicians promptly started planning next round of elections

a pack of pasta for each refugee sent home is ensured

refugees being called 'the horde'

Guest mohamed

supposedly about 1000 dead, parliament building on fire

1000 dead?

wheres the problem, since protesters r now being called 'terrorists'

gadafi knows american democarcy well

gadaffi is not a dead horse like mubarak was, and has the support of the army, so betting on him instead of promoting chivalric ideals of democracy is more reasonable from west's point of view (hence the silence), he is indeed very important in suppressing the influx of the "horde" to europe and has the oil under control.

the main reason for the success of the protesters in egypt is army's disagreement with mubarak's privatization plans of army institutions, had army's interest were in line with mubarak's the situations would be similar to libya.

Guest ezkerraldean

wicked! gadaffi is a total nutter. i'd be slightly sad to see him go though just because he's absolutely hilarious

again, usual hope that this awesome grassroots shit doesn't become islamified

Guest ezkerraldean

whoa

"Meanwhile, two helicopters and two fighter jets from Libya landed in Malta.

The helicopter was said to be carrying French oil workers.

The fighter pilots, both colonels, took off from a base near Tripoli after they had been ordered to bomb protesters, Maltese officials quoted by Reuters news agency said."

Guest mohamed

usual hopes

haha

what shopuld it became, tell me. another jew colony? a 'democratic' country mdel palestine?

bwahahahahaha

Guest mohamed

gadaffi is not a dead horse like mubarak was, and has the support of the army, so betting on him instead of promoting chivalric ideals of democracy is more reasonable from west's point of view (hence the silence), he is indeed very important in suppressing the influx of the "horde" to europe and has the oil under control.

the main reason for the success of the protesters in egypt is army's disagreement with mubarak's privatization plans of army institutions, had army's interest were in line with mubarak's the situations would be similar to libya.

i dont understand

fuck the white man

there's a good second-person account over at Metafilter:

http://www.metafilter.com/100759/Unrest-in-Libya#3532571

Everyone was waiting for Tripoli to wake up. Early in the uprising, information was so poor that my brother, living in tripoli, was not aware of the scope of the revolt in the east. He wasn't aware that the east had been effectively take over by protestors (save but a military barracks within Benghazi).

Government media was threatening an overwhelming response to the people of Benghazi. Everyone was convinced the massacres of the last few days would pale in comparison to bloodbath that would be Gaddafi's retribution. My mother was crying all day.

With no media presence, he'd probably get away with it.

Sometime today, a respected scholar of Islam in Tripoli was able to get on alJazeera and he gave a fatwa. Libyans must come out in full force and protest and try to stop the impending massacre. The ball started rolling, a large clan, the werfillas jumped on board and extolled their people to protest.

[side note, he was arrested earlier today, everyone was devastated, but shortly after the new of the green square being taken over, we heard he was rescued and freed]

Then reports started coming in, parts of Tripoli were heating up, Fashloom was out, Soug al-Jouma was out, people were braving the gunmen to go out and protest.

Once these people got to the Green Square, thats where the rest of the world joins the story:

Saif's ridiculous speech. While everyone was laughing at this clearly delusional man, the government had redoubled its efforts at the Green square.

Since his speech, many have died. Gunfire is all over the city, of course, the protestors have no guns, so the source is clearly the government. After the massacres in the east, now it is Tripoli's turn. Mercenaries have been set loose there now.

People are getting killed there right now

Guest ezkerraldean

fuck i had no idea he'd be so brutal. i always saw him as an eccentric dictator, as opposed to one who would actually kill lots of people

Guest ezkerraldean

yeah, really interesting how the government is collapsing this time. Gadaffi's clearly the heart of everything. Must have been anger from within the government directed at him, and public anger must be directed at just him too and not the government in general. Otherwise they'd be baying for the blood of a long list of cronies. Alas, all these government folks are making their exits when they can, and siding with the protestors.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

I had thought Egypt would be the last revolution, as the military were never that cozy with Mubarak anyway.

But now those colonels and some other military units are deserting Gaddafi, along with the diplomatic corps, I'm willing to bet against Gaddafi.

One of their cities, the one where the defecting soldiers were burnt, is basically under civilian rule now apparently.

The Egypt-Libya border is unmanned now.

If the revolutionaries are successful I wonder what will become of Libya. Transition to democracy or what. I know shit about Libya.

Archived