IGNORED

Usage & Grammar Pet Peeves

Guest wake

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Calx Sherbet

the literally one, yes i hate that too.

"i could care less". why even say that? just go balls to the wall and say "i couldn't care less". much more effective and insulting

they're, their, there | it's, its | too, to | we're, were | you're, your

also, "defs". fuck you if you can't be arsed spelling out the whole word. and fuck you more if you truncate the word because you aren't sure if it's "definitely" or "definately".

and I'm with Calx on the "I could" situation.

Guest Gary C

'I can't wait 'til (add set occasion here)'.

Well, what are you going to do about it? Unless you've got a time-machine, you're going to have to wait.

Obviously, '110%' is also an annoyance. Maths doesn't work that way.

70% of my job is proof-reading and it all just washes over me now. I'm a correction-machine. The sign outside my favourite curry house needs an apostrophe, one day maybe I'll correct that.

Oh, and how does everyone feel about decades? 80's or 80s? I've started going with the latter as I think it makes more grammatical sense.

Interchanging of/have, it's so fucking weird.

Example: he could of done it.

Guest Iain C

Oh, and how does everyone feel about decades? 80's or 80s? I've started going with the latter as I think it makes more grammatical sense.

no apostrophe in standard usage, i believe

Guest Gary C

Sweet. Same with DJs instead of DJ's.

In honesty, they look better with an apostrophe, but I'm a travel-brochure pedant.

70% of my job is proof-reading and it all just washes over me now. I'm a correction-machine.

hah! i'm about to start a job doing corrections, but i'm already the guy at my current work who spots typos when nobody else does!

definitely 80s. no apostrophe. you don't say eightie's!

Guest Gravity
and fuck you more if you truncate the word because you aren't sure if it's "definitely" or "definately".

Hahahahahaha.

Guest Coalbucket PI

All the mentioned ones irritate me. I was in a restaurant where they had a neon sign saying "Live DJ's" flashing in my line of sight for the whole time I was there. It drove me crazy, not only the strange use of the world live which didn't serve any purpose, but of course the nasty little apostrophe.

When people say 'real' instead of 'really'; like 'I had a real nice day'...

Interchanging of/have, it's so fucking weird.

Example: he could of done it.

if i saw somebody doing that, physically, i would actually attack them and try to kill them.

could of..... fuck you.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Words of the same meaning combined to create new words: Prexactly, Ginormous.

in the same vein; guestimate

Words of the same meaning combined to create new words: Prexactly, Ginormous.

in the same vein; guestimate

Ew yes, these are called portmanteaus. My particular pet peeve is when the combined word has no different meaning. I don't mind portmanteaus like spork or blaxploitation cause they're both awesome.

medium-weight-black-plastic-spork-1000-cs.jpg

Archived