IGNORED

decent cheap hardware stereo compressor

soundwave

need something cheapish that will make shit sound phatt without sounding shit

was looking at the FMR and low end JoeMeek stuff but you can get older kit quite cheap these days

any other suggestions folks?

if you've never had an alesis 3630 i highly recommend it, or the dbx 266XL that's in the same category. The Alesis gives you good options of sounding colored or not, can pump heavy, and can be dual mono or stereo.

I'm going to have to take the dissenting view here: avoid the 3630 at all costs unless you are specifically looking to compress for effect. I'm not new to compression, and I have never been able to get my 3630 to sounds transparent.

The FMR has a "nice" setting which makes it absolutely transparent.

Guest analogue wings

Don't go near JoeMeek unless it's old and it has Ted Fletcher's signature on the front.

Stick with used FMR gear. It's excellent quality for the price point.

I have an FMR RNC for sale if you are interested, just PM me.

mfr is great

i like the coloring of alesis tho....to each their own

I built a tube compressor once. Everything pumped through that bad boy turned to gold. I regret selling it :(

I got my hands on jurgen haible's 1176 ln clone. It absolutely spanks the 808.

Anyone tried ART Pro Vla? It's tube and cheap and I heard a lot of good things about it.

now that looks tasty given a little above my intended price range

I hear the lower end TLaudio valve stuff (Ivory?) isn't that great

I'm going to have to take the dissenting view here: avoid the 3630 at all costs unless you are specifically looking to compress for effect. I'm not new to compression, and I have never been able to get my 3630 to sounds transparent.

The FMR has a "nice" setting which makes it absolutely transparent.

I've been looking at audio demos on youtube and the ''nice'' setting stacks three compressor circuits together (e.g. 6.1 ratio will be x3 2.1 stacked) for a smoother curve hence the transparency.

I've also notice Focusrite Compounders are quite cheap 2nd hand. A friend has one of these and they're very punchy with some added bass enhancement process, apparently Trentmollor uses one too.

The ART Pro VLA have mixed opinions on gearsluts but the geeks say replacing the stock tubes for better ones makes all the difference.

I built a tube compressor once. Everything pumped through that bad boy turned to gold. I regret selling it :(

who is this guy and why was he banned?

who is this guy and why was he banned?

For lying. Everyone knows that tube compressors emit PLATINUM, not GOLD.

Archived