IGNORED

New external HD

six

Guest Space Coyote

For the record I always buy Seagate and I've never had it bite me. That said I have had friends with various issues when using the 'made for external use' Seagate harddrives which is another reason I don't buy them and put my own together.

I definitely don't like the kind that are 'always on' when connected via usb. I like mine to have a deliberate on/off switch.

Most drives can spin down when idle. There's no durability and negligible power consumption difference to a completely shut down drive.

To be honest I don't really understand electricity at all but I am concerned about a power surge or some sort of electrical fuck up 'hurting' the drive even if it is in an idle/standby state. Is that a legit concern or just paranoia?

But, yeah, I never trust anything--DVD backup like a motherfucker. I know it's cumbersome and takes up physical space but I don't want to have to be sad like the first time my motherboard failed. I almost puked when that happened and that was in 1997. I got my first burner in 1998 and began hard archiving then. Fuck, that reminds me, I guess I could get rid of some of those old CD-R's of "FIRST TOTALLY RAD TRAX MADE W/ HAMMERHEAD AND REBIRTH!!!!"

Are you concerned about the alleged degradation of burnt cd and dvd media? I generally only use high quality media such as TDK Gold (back in the day), and Verbatim dvd-r's. Some of my older discs already provide some interesting quirks when trying to playback or copy from them. It is hard to tell though if it isn't the condition of the disc or the relatively poor quality of the files that causes this. I've been worried ever since I heard about this as I have over 700 dvd's of concerts that I've burnt since ~2003 and it is going to be one hell of a pain in the ass backing those up to a harddrive when I get around to it.

For the record I always buy Seagate and I've never had it bite me. That said I have had friends with various issues when using the 'made for external use' Seagate harddrives which is another reason I don't buy them and put my own together.

I definitely don't like the kind that are 'always on' when connected via usb. I like mine to have a deliberate on/off switch.

Most drives can spin down when idle. There's no durability and negligible power consumption difference to a completely shut down drive.

To be honest I don't really understand electricity at all but I am concerned about a power surge or some sort of electrical fuck up 'hurting' the drive even if it is in an idle/standby state. Is that a legit concern or just paranoia?

I don't think a power surge would damage the drive itself no. The power supply or enclosure might get damaged, but the drive should be fine. But if you're that worried about power surges, surge protectors are quite cheap. :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

i just got a WD My Passport 1TB and it isn't recognized on the 3 computers i've tried. anyone ever have this issue with it? seems to be a common problem after a google.

sending it back.

i just got a WD My Passport 1TB and it isn't recognized on the 3 computers i've tried. anyone ever have this issue with it? seems to be a common problem after a google.

sending it back.

did you use the usb-cable that came with the hd?

sending it back.

tried 4 different leads including the one supplied (varying lengths from 6" up) on 3 different computers.

i noticed on google lots of people have had issues with the lead supplied, tried another one and got it working, but sadly not me.

I always used a laCie Rugged firewire drive—had it for several years now, and never gave me huge issues.

• 4 weeks later...

sending it back.

tried 4 different leads including the one supplied (varying lengths from 6" up) on 3 different computers.

i noticed on google lots of people have had issues with the lead supplied, tried another one and got it working, but sadly not me.

decided to give the my passport another chance and ordered another one... works a treat! happy customer at last.

Guest Mirezzi

I always used a laCie Rugged firewire drive—had it for several years now, and never gave me huge issues.

Same. In love with it...thing is a tank.

Archived