IGNORED

Student Loan Debt will surpass $1 TRILLION in 2011; 500% Increase since 2000

karmakramer

Got out of art school with only 12K of federal student loan debt (thanks to scholarships and grants). After 9 years it's down to around 3. I should be more aggressive about paying it off.

In regards to posts about the middle and lower class of the United States revolting: they haven't yet because they are still fairly comfortable. Rising gas prices, the job market, etc haven't quite pinched them enough to really start speaking out against it in large numbers. To reinforce this, there is a lot of disinformation about why things are the way they are, so a lot of the masses get confused or frustrated about what's causing their woes. They tend to just fall back on whatever escapism they prefer and not think about it too much. What can they do anyways? Billions are spent every year keeping the messages confusing. The poor and exploited are pitted against each other in our lovely little gang war between democrats and republicans. Anyone who attempts to focus on these issues gets "discredited" by the media or they get lost in the din of advertisements and prominent talking points.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*thumbs up* @ pattern.

+ i can't see how you guys would take so long paying off these loans if you are working. Why do you want to end up with so much more interest to pay off ?? If a car wouldn't take five years, so why 20 with a student loan ??

it depends on a number of variables.

im guessing a lot of people take out more unsubsidized loans than they really need

also, you are more apt to continue a branch of independence than seek help from the family, like...im pretty sure ill be moving back in with my parents until most of my loans are paid off before the PhD program...and i dont feel ashamed of that at all.

also, you are more apt to continue a branch of independence than seek help from the family, like...im pretty sure ill be moving back in with my parents until most of my loans are paid off before the PhD program...and i dont feel ashamed of that at all.

exactly. i lived with my parents during undergrad just so i wouldn't have to take out any loans. i'd feel more ashamed if i ended college with a massive amount of debt.

same, i worked furiously the 3 years before studies. now im living with my mom and studying in the uni, the grades are good, no pressure, no debts or fuck knows what, this is a reasonable thing to do.

Archived