IGNORED

first halfassed steps towards some sort of live fing

Guest hahathhat

cool tune dude

it's nice that you kept a good progression pace throughout this track, seems like a good number of live electronic tracks can drag out and take a while say what they need to.

the funky bass that comes in around 1:00 is great

only other thing is that the section from 1:40 - 1:55 doesn't really work for me

might be cool to do a recording of this song on a general room mic to get a feel how it all sounds coming through a PA/soundsystem :sup:

Guest hahathhat

when i'm doing a "song" i tend to spend a few hours with the same patterns. i turn into a human sequencer with faders and knobs, occasionally just going sjdfklsdjfk because it's fun and that's why it's better than the computer. a good way to sum it up would be to say i pretty much never use the "song" feature on the mpc. if anything, i make a bunch of sequences and

change them myself.

working a lot of patterns into a continuous mix is something else entirely. on the other hand, after doing songs where i'm dealing with 20 faders and a bunch of synths, having 5 faders, 2 synths, some fx is actually pretty relaxing on the moment-to-moment scale. but the macroscopic end is pretty rough....

this is opposed to songs i write on the computer, where it's more like continually evolving melodic goulash.

hat I find your music too cold and harsh for my tastes - I feel it lacks melody and emotion. a lot of what I've heard from you lacks the basic building blocks to what, IMO, is a good track - catchy bassline, pleasing melody and an overall "groove". I would like to hear you make something funky, dancy, head-nodding, catchy etc...

sorry to be harsh lol

Guest hahathhat

hat I find your music too cold and harsh for my tastes - I feel it lacks melody and emotion. a lot of what I've heard from you lacks the basic building blocks to what, IMO, is a good track - catchy bassline, pleasing melody and an overall "groove". I would like to hear you make something funky, dancy, head-nodding, catchy etc...

sorry to be harsh lol

um, what? first of all, i'm trying some shit out here. yeah it's a mess now, but it won't be in a few months. second, i've written plenty of catchy shit over the years, which you seem to have missed entirely before coming in here to drop this completely unhelpful remark. but maybe i'm missing your inner genius. i guess not everyone can be an internationally unrecognized 40yo telemarketing employee that writes funky, dancy, head-nodding, catchy music until his girlfriend of the week yells at him to shut that racket off

sorry to be harsh lol

sorry to be harsh lol

um, what? first of all, i'm trying some shit out here. yeah it's a mess now, but it won't be in a few months. second, i've written plenty of catchy shit over the years, which you seem to have missed entirely before coming in here to drop this completely unhelpful remark. but maybe i'm missing your inner genius. i guess not everyone can be an internationally unrecognized 40yo telemarketing employee that writes funky, dancy, head-nodding, catchy music until his girlfriend of the week yells at him to shut that racket off

sorry to be harsh lol

you crazy man... i'm not 40 btw or a telemarketing employee and i've had the same girlfriend for over 3 years, you sure you're thinking of the right person? but anyway, sorry for any offence, was only trying to help...relax!

i also have listened to quite a lot of your stuff over the years and currently have legends of pimlico on my HD as well as some other random nevenen stuff, so it's not really like that was a snap judgement. again though, didn't mean to be a cunt or anything :shrug:

sorry hat but I wasn't into this one either for the same reasons. maybe you're purposely trying to sound a certain way and it's just that way doesn't appeal to me - not saying it's wrong, don't have a schizoid embolism, just a personal opinion.

if I were to tentatively offer some advice (again, just my opinion don't freak out) it would be to streamline and strip away a lot of the clutter and just get back to brass tacks - beat with soul, bassline + lead of some sort. fuck off all that mental TV show sampling and stuff like that that you seem to like and just make some grooves.

but like, I'll retire from this thread now, just remember it's all relative and not meant as a personal insult or anything.

peace.

Guest tonfarben

You guys arguing is popcorn. I like the intelligence behind it.

And that DOUBLE-CHINNED BROTHERMUCKER (ROUSING ODE) was a great laugh.

Gear on carpet. Great album title. Meta. Go on, I love this thread.

I´d like to hear more jams. That space martin jam was good.

You know, like "Nevermind the audience, I´ll do what I want!"

and in the context of the overall jam that makes sense. The end is awesome.

It doesn´t matter what sounds you use, but what you make with it. Cheers!

^_^

There are a lot of cool noises and effects going on throughout.. but for now it seems slightly disjointed and a little too chaotic for it's own good. What I mean is it doesn't really come together as a complete feeling song. I'm assuming these are the kinks you're looking to sort out though with continued experimentation and jamming

Guest hahathhat

i guess it is meant to be more like a DJ set than a song. eventually the intent is i can go on for an hour or so, but i'm keeping it to short little sessions for the moment, as i'm still at the phase of throwing shit at the wall + seeing what sticks.... at times i'm just sweeping the tune knob across the radio, waiting for something to grab my attention, at which point i lock in and magnify. as i get more time on this setup i figure there will be less tuning/seeking along with some little tricks to make what's still there less obvious. but, yeah, i am pretty good with delays and dub shit.

i guess what i'm really looking to get a handle on is maintaining a good flow for a long period. i'm used to being able to stop record, try again, as i refine a track. want to learn to properly roll with it all day looonnggg

Archived