IGNORED

Parents Undermining Teachers

delet...

If you are a good teacher you can find a way to intellectually challenge them, if not they will probably cause more problems.

this is the crux. i'd say the 2 types of teacher are...

• those who make learning fun and engaging.
  • those who don't.

the former rarely even has to raise their voice cos the kids respect them... the latter has to revert to superiority, shouting and OTT discipline.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

_/\(ツ)_/¯

I'm not even gonna fix that shrug.

i think he's trying to do "the worm"

(or maybe the robot?)

teaching.

Guest Al Hounos

My father, a teacher, complained about this all the time. There just isn't a culture of respect for teachers in the West. We're conditioned to fit teachers into one of these molds:

1. syrupy-sweet mother substitutes who live for their students

2. evil disciplinarians ripe for pranking

3. lazy do-nothing losers who couldn't make it in the real world and settled for an "easy job"

Definitely a Western problem. I wonder how much shit teachers in Asia take off the kids? Furthermore, I wonder how motivated they are not to give their teachers shit knowing the world of fucking pain awaiting them at home if they did.

As a contrast, in Korea, teachers are respected as professionals and their word is final when it comes to students. Students who act up are disciplined first at school, and then again at home. Instead of taking the "not my little angel" attitude, parents in Korea waste no time in getting their kids in line.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

No sweat though--the rest of the world will run circles around formerly great nations in the areas of education, technology and innovation. We'll still be drowning in a mire of our own creation.

Next time I watch Idiocracy, I'll just assume the rest of the world (and perhaps the intelligent expatriates) are functioning just fine outside of America.

I guess that would help explain how they manage to still have such hi-tech stuff.

If you are a good teacher you can find a way to intellectually challenge them, if not they will probably cause more problems.

this is the crux. i'd say the 2 types of teacher are...

• those who make learning fun and engaging.
  • those who don't.

the former rarely even has to raise their voice cos the kids respect them... the latter has to revert to superiority, shouting and OTT discipline.

It's the lack of ability to discipline that was one of the key points that the article was complaining about. Not being able to discipline or set parameters for students and that the parents won't allow their children to be critically assessed and don't respect your professional opinion on their progress. Then there are troubled children that should be moved into a special needs situation that aren't. Class sizes are forever growing so you have less ability to focus on individual needs, more so when you consider all the time you have to spend on the disruptive children in the classroom. Then on top of that, your curriculum is constantly adjusted. (this is the queensland education system, i can't speak for scottyland, although looking at some of the mong centres around there, i'm sure you have areas where teaching is pretty hellish at the best of times)

And to acid1, are the kids learning programming the average student or those that took the elective? Are the young or older? Was it a private school or public? We need to weed out these details before we'll believe that you are a superior species of teacher.

apparently (according to this thread) the west = USA

You think it's different in the UK?

i think that the west, when used as referring to "the western world", does not constitute of solely the USA.

maybe there's a teaching problem? :cisfor:

My father, a teacher, complained about this all the time. There just isn't a culture of respect for teachers in the West. We're conditioned to fit teachers into one of these molds:

1. syrupy-sweet mother substitutes who live for their students

2. evil disciplinarians ripe for pranking

3. lazy do-nothing losers who couldn't make it in the real world and settled for an "easy job"

Definitely a Western problem. I wonder how much shit teachers in Asia take off the kids? Furthermore, I wonder how motivated they are not to give their teachers shit knowing the world of fucking pain awaiting them at home if they did.

As a contrast, in Korea, teachers are respected as professionals and their word is final when it comes to students. Students who act up are disciplined first at school, and then again at home. Instead of taking the "not my little angel" attitude, parents in Korea waste no time in getting their kids in line.

That aspect is changing though, as you'll see by kids taking videos of their teachers "disciplining" the students and posting them online. Also the respect teachers held has decreased dramatically - as has their relative pay.

My mum taught really little kids and she never really mentioned this kind of issue.

My sister says she loves it when she gets a chance to teach the really young kids, they're a breaze apparently the first and second years. Must be before they develop attitude and are still receptive or something.

The kindergarten to grade 2 or 3 are the best to teach. Pretty much all the way up to grade 6. Puberty kicks in though and then bam!

Archived