IGNORED

Dark Souls

Joyrex

Guest Sprigg

Dark souls is eating me alive. Love it.

Did you beat the first boss after the tutorial?

I loved the way the whole world turned from dreary to beautiful with the sun beaming through the clouds!

the Taurus demon? That was laughably easy with the winged spear and estoc... the dragon on the bridge roasted me three times though

Also, yeah this game has absolutely gorgeous moments, especially the sky in undead burg

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AcrossCanyons

brought dark souls today. haven't paid full wack for a brand new game in a very long time, but I couldn't wait any longer. been watching hours and hours of live streams. gonna play after dinner. i am excite.

I'm crawling through Dark Souls but still making progress, and every enemy I've encountered thus far has been analyzed to sickening degrees and now they are on auto pilot.

I've only been through 3 bosses including the tutorial boss and a handful of mini bosses. I spent the few hours I had with the game last night upgrading my Battle Axe and Shield to +5, getting the Drakesword, Dragons Crest Shield, Ring of Favor and Protection, Soul Arrow spell, and power leveling up to about SL 30.

After work I'm going to go into the lower burgs, find the pyromancy trainer, and face the Capra Demon!

Still plodding through Demon's Souls - soul level is 12 now, and I found the Thief's Ring, although not being easily detected by enemies doesn't seem to be that important right now.

Saw the red and blue dragons sitting on the hillside... scared the fuck outta me! I hightailed it outta there, and I'm not quite sure what to do next...

Still plodding through Demon's Souls - soul level is 12 now, and I found the Thief's Ring, although not being easily detected by enemies doesn't seem to be that important right now.

Saw the red and blue dragons sitting on the hillside... scared the fuck outta me! I hightailed it outta there, and I'm not quite sure what to do next...

For future reference, after you beat the boss in 1-1 and are alive, you should log out of psn in the nexus, and go back to this area you see the dragons. 1-1 will be in pure white tendency, the dragons will be gone, and you can get all that sweet loot which includes a shield with incredible fire resists.

In terms of what to do next, you can go to 1-2 and try to defeat the tower knight boss, if you have a royalty you can litterally just nuke him from the second story after you clear out some archers. You can go to 2-1 if you have a thruster, or have enough str/dex to wield the pick axe. You can go to 4-1 if you have a mace. I'd stay out of the way of 3-1 and 5-1 until you get a bit more battle hardened.

The boss in 2-1, the Spider, isn't that bad if you use arrows (actually getting in his face isn't that bad either after you master his pattern.

Oh yeah, try to master the "kick" .. the attack is forward and R1 for most weapons. When you fight Blue Knights etc who always use thier shield, try kicking them a few times to get thier defenses down.

Guest AcrossCanyons

okay holy wow am i horrible at dark souls. i know its hard but i underestimated it. i have no idea what to do in the 1st area (after the prison. firesomething). i can kill the reg skeles if i take them on 1v1, but then i found a huge skele who destroyed me. where/whats advisable to go to/do first?

i'm making a new character and decided to kill the dude near the camp fire. holy lol was not expecting this. thought he'd die easilly, but he is tougher than any monster i've found so far. got him to half health once but that's the best i've done. now every time i spawn he kills me lol.

okay holy wow am i horrible at dark souls. i know its hard but i underestimated it. i have no idea what to do in the 1st area (after the prison. firesomething). i can kill the reg skeles if i take them on 1v1, but then i found a huge skele who destroyed me. where/whats advisable to go to/do first?

i'm making a new character and decided to kill the dude near the camp fire. holy lol was not expecting this. thought he'd die easilly, but he is tougher than any monster i've found so far. got him to half health once but that's the best i've done. now every time i spawn he kills me lol.

You want to go right along side the mountain, towards a bridge. Once you get to undead burgs, you will be fine. Those skeletons are basically where you go when you reach about the half way point of the game.

Guest Sprigg

Dark Souls. I'm getting ready to fight the Capra Demon, but couldn't get more than a couple hits in because of those fucking rat-dog things... so I went over to Darkwood Grove and did some exploring. Picked up a very nice shield, the Grass Crest Shield, which restores stamina super fast. But fuck the Capra demon!

Dark Souls. I'm getting ready to fight the Capra Demon, but couldn't get more than a couple hits in because of those fucking rat-dog things... so I went over to Darkwood Grove and did some exploring. Picked up a very nice shield, the Grass Crest Shield, which restores stamina super fast. But fuck the Capra demon!

i did the exact same thing last night! although i didnt find that shield. did you fight the prowling demon or run past him like a little girl like i did?

Guest Sprigg

i did the exact same thing last night! although i didnt find that shield. did you fight the prowling demon or run past him like a little girl like i did?

Dude I tried to kill him and fffuuuu he takes 23 damage from my astoras longsword, so I ran before he raped me.

Guest AcrossCanyons

beat the gargoyles today with the help of the sun bro npc summon and a helpful player i also summoned. summoning is very confusing and/or broken in this game atm. a lot of people are confused about it.

it helped that i'm kinda over leveled too. happened by accident. i've just been doing so much.

think i'll have an explore in the forests tomorrow. maybe attempt the 2nd bell tower too.

Beat the Armour Spider in Demon's Souls last night - very pathetic boss, considering how scary he looks... then I fell down the huge mine shaft and lost 13,000 souls. I got a good laugh out of it since at that height your character screams just before he lands and dies - harkens back to the old King's Field games (From Software, maker of Demon's/Dark Souls previous game series and the Souls games' spiritual predecessors).

what i know is that joyrex codes watmm using a ps3 controller..

Fun Fact: the Ban button is up up, down, down, left right, left right, select start triangle circle

No, it's a deep, engaging game that the more you put into it, the more satisfaction you get from it - in other words, if you're looking for mindless fun, then either of the Souls games are probably not for you.

Maybe it's not for me. I'm easily frustrated by too difficult games. Hate trial & error kind of games.

But when I watch trailers from Dark Souls. It looks really dark and atmospheric, that's why I'm kind of interested. Has hoping it had more to it than just the challenging gameplay.

Beat the Armour Spider in Demon's Souls last night - very pathetic boss, considering how scary he looks... then I fell down the huge mine shaft and lost 13,000 souls. I got a good laugh out of it since at that height your character screams just before he lands and dies - harkens back to the old King's Field games (From Software, maker of Demon's/Dark Souls previous game series and the Souls games' spiritual predecessors).

Fun Fact: the Ban button is up up, down, down, left right, left right, select start triangle circle

Double LOL

So it's an all out grind fest?

I wouldn't say that... you do a lot more exploring than anything else - I'm using the Official Guide, and even I can't make sense of where to go and what to do next sometimes! I have spent little time leveling up my character, now that I think about it. I'm not even using magic yet (although I feel like I should be).

Maybe it's not for me. I'm easily frustrated by too difficult games.

But when I watch trailers from Dark Souls. It looks really dark and atmospheric, that's why I'm kind of interested. Has hoping it had more to it than just the challenging gameplay.

It is very dark and atmospheric - the worlds they have created all feel like things are there for a purpose, and the fact you can see other parts of the area you're in from certain vantage points makes you continuously wonder "now, how in the hell do I get over there?"

Double LOL

I hope you weren't LOLing at me falling down the mine shaft... I was gutted! I'm hoping that my souls are left on the edge of the hole and I can get them back...

So it's an all out grind fest?
Maybe it's not for me. I'm easily frustrated by too difficult games. Hate trial & error kind of games. But when I watch trailers from Dark Souls. It looks really dark and atmospheric, that's why I'm kind of interested. Has hoping it had more to it than just the challenging gameplay.

Dark Souls (and Demons Souls for that matter) are analytical games. You are expected to do things like wonder why the devs put a crossbow right before a boss. Or to remeber all the junk you pick up and equip items to suite your needs. You will experiment, die, then after a few different strategies suceed .. a slow methodical pace is the way of the game. It encourages you to explore everything slowly, and remember the enemies attack patterns.

The problem is when you have too much coffee and think you can do things like "run to the other side of the room" or "button mash." You can't do that.

I feel for you Joyrex, i died in the exact spot you died at and lost about the same amount of souls. If you go around the other side there is an elevator but you have to kill a few more things, including a couple red phantoms. Also, painfully, 13k souls won't be a lot in the future when you are soul level 100+, but I'm not gonna scare you just yet.

I feel for you Joyrex, i died in the exact spot you died at and lost about the same amount of souls. If you go around the other side there is an elevator but you have to kill a few more things, including a couple red phantoms. Also, painfully, 13k souls won't be a lot in the future when you are soul level 100+, but I'm not gonna scare you just yet.

Oh, I'm fully aware of the insane amounts of souls you acquire by beating some of the Archdemons, so I figured 13K is a drop in the bucket. Still doesn't lessen the pain for such a bonehead move.

And, I beat both unnamed phantom barbarians - LOL, they both fell into the pit chasing after me!

Now I'm off to get the Dragon Bonecrusher Sword and give it to the timid guy - although I read where if the World Tendency is black and he's a phantom, if you kill him you get a talisman that allows you to use magic and miracles at the same time...?

Oh, I'm fully aware of the insane amounts of souls you acquire by beating some of the Archdemons, so I figured 13K is a drop in the bucket. Still doesn't lessen the pain for such a bonehead move.

And, I beat both unnamed phantom barbarians - LOL, they both fell into the pit chasing after me!

Now I'm off to get the Dragon Bonecrusher Sword and give it to the timid guy - although I read where if the World Tendency is black and he's a phantom, if you kill him you get a talisman that allows you to use magic and miracles at the same time...?

The Bone Smasher? I pocketed that sword, and it was my favorite for a while until I started rocking the Meat Cleaver. Just kill the Dragon God (to get white tendency) and loot it.

I got my talisman on my second (evil) play through. I think that dude in 2-2 gives you an upgrade stone if you trade it, not the talisman. I don't think its worth it, unless you are going for a dex or faith build.

To get the Talisman you can either do the Mephistoles quests or kill Ostrava. The details are escaping me.

Beat capra demon and gaping dragon last night. Gaping dragon was disappointingly easy... expected more. Now I'm wandering the woods with no idea what to do next... blighttown?

Beat capra demon and gaping dragon last night. Gaping dragon was disappointingly easy... expected more. Now I'm wandering the woods with no idea what to do next... blighttown?

Same. Did you remember to cut his tail off and get the dragon king axe? My plan tonight is to explore the forest and kill the moth. Then blighttown. Be aware, seems like lots of people are complaining about blighttown because it both lags and is apparently poison/toxic heavy. Get some of the purple and white moss for the toxic darts and some purple moss for the poison. Apparently there is some shadow armor right by the entrance that has heavy resists to poison, I'd put that on once you find it.

Archived