IGNORED

Tribes: Ascend

Guest Adam

Guest fiznuthian

I don't understand the brute. Has a few cool things but otherwise seems like a class without a niche..

I kill them regularly as a jug.. unlike doomies.

Brute needs a better secondary weapon or something other than a slightly more powerful disc

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Video starts off slow but wow this guy has good aim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dVCXBjk5rs

Yeah, blinks is a great sniper and a really nice guy too. And has a great music taste as well! I watch his stream daily.

You assume too much on how long i've played. The game just doesn't live up to the hype that I've seen and read about it. It's fun, don't get me wrong. I've got some lulz out of it, and can play it in short bursts (in fact I am about to play now...) . it's just extremely hard for me to get in to it when there isn't that face to face contention. I used to be a PC FPS player, but since have converted. I just like the sort of rivalries you can develop when playing with a rather limited number of people in a concise, tactical map. also, unless there are private servers where people go ape on their skills, I have yet to play a match where anyone seems to be insanely good or overly skilled. I am not saying they don't exist, I just can't be fussed with THAT kind of dedication to a game, (it vaguely reminds me of people getting really tied up in APS aspects of Starcraft). There is just too much chase, not enough face to face confrontation for my liking. In a tough spot? rocket out and hope not to get killed by someones lucky mortar or tactical airstrike. WOAAAH MAN, HARDCORE. Don't be butthurt cause I think it's meh.... even though I'm about to play it.

All of that was pointless though. I know you were reading it and all you saw was "I like xbox, xbox cod xbox, halo xbox, cod, halo, xbox. Xbox x..box (cod4mw3), bro."

That's because I DO. GAMES. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo.

I had a dude that got into one of my games and he was at rank 43 (it apparently takes ~1700 in game hours to get to rank 50). He played Sentinel and it honestly sucked all the fun out of the game because he was that much better than everyone else. He died maybe once or twice the whole round and had on-point aim with the nova blaster (the sniper's secondary, which does 350 a hit).

I get your gripes, and at lower levels (I'm not high level at all), a lot of luck is involved. Eventually you'll start playing against people that blue plate special, so to speak, all the time and it's almost aggravating because of how hard it is to engage them in a fight.

As far as private servers, they're in the works, but not quite yet online. Though competitive people have managed to get Hi-Rez to white list private servers for just them to play matches, and those guys are ridiculous. I don't think it's that hitscan weapons aren't balanced at all, but in the Tribes universe they're much more powerful than in other ones. The only ones in Tribes are the two sniper rifles and the eagle pistol (as far as true hitscan).

I do agree with you on the escaping thing. That's mostly why I've taken to playing Infiltrator and fighting indoors. If you fight inside, you can abuse a lot of things and they can't escape (but neither can you, full). The tactical airstrikes are annoying, but there will be servers where orbitals and tacticals are disabled eventually (they've said so). All legitimate complaints, really.

My own personal complaints are with how they made the Juggernaut retarded. They have him the best assault rifle in the game (most damage and largest clip), a direct upgrade to the fusion mortar with the mirv launcher, and spinfusors as a belt item with a faster regen than any other class and a massive health pool. Fighting him is pointless as you probably won't win the fight or he'll just respawn in five seconds and take the twenty seconds to ski over, but if you don't kill him he takes out all of your base assets and clears the flag stand indefinitely.

Also, Raindance is a garbage map. I've never had a fun round on it. The generator room is stupid with exactly one entrance, and if they get into it it's incredibly difficult to get control back. The flag stand is stupid because it's almost impossible to defend.

Raindance is AMAZING, you can ski at more than 500 in it, some guy made it to 1046 with thrust pack, that's insane, but the gen room sucks totally, I think they'll fix it.

And yeah jug with lmg and fusor discs is really op. Though you can still duel him with raider or soldier. Well but not inf, I couldn't at least.

I meet very skilled players daily, jlobkob from watmm is really good. And there's really a lot to learn. I wish the balance would be better, because now people with level<5 play in one servers and people from 5 to 50 in others, that's ridiculous. While the level does not necesarry mean everything it shows how much experience the player has. I wish there would be servers only for lvl>15, >20 etc. or something. Maybe they'll add it in the future.

thank you adam :emb:

i have to admit that i dont really like raindance when playing as a heavy. i just keep getting trapped by ridiculously high mountains.

as

Blanket Fort Collapse

stated, this game is mainly about decisions....you see, doing a

direct hit deals more damage than a 'splashy' hit, but a direct hit will be harder to achieve.

so the question is:

will i try to increase my dps by direct-hitting enemies? or will i lower it because i dont hit them at all when trying to blueplate someone?

I only try to blueplate someone if i know that there will be enough time to reload before he gets on the ground, this way I don't lose anything ever.

Also, just got tribal fanatic!

I don't understand the brute. Has a few cool things but otherwise seems like a class without a niche..

I kill them regularly as a jug.. unlike doomies.

Brute needs a better secondary weapon or something other than a slightly more powerful disc

He's the best heavy class for capping :trollface:

110h?

thats exactly the same amount of time i played, lol

also congrats to tribal fanatic, it took me also a long time to achieve, its a really hard one.

i remember when entering the game for the first time, i was like:

15 kills in a row? without dying? with just one weapon type? hou is dat possibru?

Yeah, 114 now. :D

Me too, totally. Turned out very easily for me. It was an early morning match with like 16 people totally and I was just defending the flag with soldier as usual, when I got 10 kills in a row I though I should not die now to get it. It's really fun sometimes to just hunt for achievements. Still to get the slayer seems a bit hard.

Guest fiznuthian

Wow okay, so that explains everything..

I was completely confused to find nothing resembling a plasma gun in T:A.. One of my favorite guns from S:T!

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I played for 3 hours tonight, never got hit by a plasma gun, I like the Drydock Night addition to Capture and Hold, super cool ski hills on that map.

That plasma gun looks pretty fun to use, probably saving my XP for that, but I dunno. I love not putting any money into this game because it gives me a good reason to play it more for XP.. and makes the reward of making a good decision on an upgrade that much more gratifying.

On the same token, I love that Hi-Rez brought this back and I kinda want to give them some of my money... So I may have to spend like 20 bucks on this sometime.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Finally watched Fat Guy Movie that Adam posted, WOW, makes me really to play Juggernaut more looks like it would be a blast getting remotely that good with the Fusion Mortar and MIRV Launcher.

Tribesperation. Speaking of good Ascend vids, this game makes me want to setup my capture card to my laptop more than any other game I've ever played. Don't wanna use Fraps or any screen capture software because they all reduce your framerate amirite?

Plasma Gun is objectively overpowered. It does 500 damage per shot, has a clip of 10, does splash, and awards an air mail for each kill. Played with my friend for about an hour tonight and he topped my team's scoreboard each round using the new Raider pack (sans the bomblet, he doesn't like it as much as the EMP). He even got the Mercenary skin and has no troubles hitting with the plasma, which doesn't seem farfetched considering it shoots like a pistol round.

I'll be surprised if they don't do something to it like they did with the Jackal, honestly. I'm not bitching about it, I got hit by it twice (once was from my friend), it just seems to be too rewarding both indoors and outdoors on a class that was already a great duelist.

saved up 100k xp, switched to jugg (from tech) and bought an lmg. the mortar is difficult, but the lmg is really good for dueling and defending, i find myself in the midfields a lot picking on med-armor and rival juggs. still, with tech i used to end up in the top 3 of the score list, with jugg i end up somewhere in the middle or bottom.

Archived