IGNORED

Linear Stereo to Mono ... filter?

acid1

Anyone aware of some kinda plug that will take a signal and be able to progressively make something more mono?

Idealistically i'd like to edit my bass sounds so that no matter how much chorus and stereo spread i put on them, i can apply a filter that will make the lower frequencies progressively more mono, but have the signal spread out to the normal stereo range the higher the frequency is.

Please no replies with: make two signal, one mono, one stereo, filter them both and mix.

yeah, some of the stereo width enhancers will let you narrow too - but no use if you're using effects like chorus, because converting to mono will just leave you with a whole lot of phasing... which might not be incredibly obvious, but it will reshape the bass end quite randomly

what you need is this: http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/

freeware M-S decoder, encoder

msed13-large1024.jpg

keep it set to inline and side gain controls how much stereo information you've got, mid gain is the purely mono information

never mixes l directly with r, so no phasing

hmmm interesting, thanks for the phase tip, will check that out when i get home from work, thanks! :grin:

yeah, voxengo are the one brand of plug-in who make me happy i'm using a computer

their GlissEQ and HarmonEQ sound stunning - much much better than Waves ... the top-end is so unlike plug-in EQ - really almost sounds like an Amek channel strip sometimes - so clean and sparkley, and undigital

bottom end's much clearer and more defined than Waves too - more tonal

then their freeware SPAN, spectrum analyzer, is the most useful mixing tool i've ever known (built into GlissEQ)

i'm not blown away by their convolution stuff tbh, it suffers from a fair bit of digititus ... you run something through a mic-pre and a tape and it starts to sound digital and processed as hell

M-S processing's one of my useful mixing tools for sure - you always want to be able to effectively widen or narrow something's stereo image without messing with it... i use that one every 5 minutes!

Don't own any commercial stuff (of theirs)but i can at least imagine. I do have SPAN but rarely use it. I have essEQ which kind of sucks but its a 7 band graphic EQ and its free, so i can't really complain.

Archived