IGNORED

Los Angeles

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

while you're there, can you find out what "california-style" mexican food is? I've had what people describe as "california-style" burritos here in nyc, and they're just fucking burritos.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was having lunch today at a burger joint at some place near the grove with my bidness associate and a black dude on a skate board rode by and my friend was like "That's Tyler the Creator!" I said... "Are you sure he's not some random black dude on a skate board?" He was like... "No that's him... his store is down the street!"

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

have you found a decent mexican joint yet? chipolte will not do. or baja fresh

Cactus Taco on Vine & Willoughby (their Chicken Tacos and Fish Tacos are what to get).

There is a taco truck in Silverlake/Echo Park called Taco Zone. It parks in a Vons parking lot. They are quite good.

Yuca's taco stand on Hillhurt in Los Feliz is good. Their Asada is great.

There is also a great taco truck on La Brea and Olympic.

There are tons of spots.

I normally just go for the most busted looking ones.

yup the nastier the better it seems. thanks for this i'll check them out.

I was having lunch today at a burger joint at some place near the grove with my bidness associate and a black dude on a skate board rode by and my friend was like "That's Tyler the Creator!" I said... "Are you sure he's not some random black dude on a skate board?" He was like... "No that's him... his store is down the street!"

cool story bro. i once saw john locke in santa monica whole foods. BUYING AN APPLE.

while you're there, can you find out what "california-style" mexican food is? I've had what people describe as "california-style" burritos here in nyc, and they're just fucking burritos.

never been to nyc so couldnt even attempt to tell the difference.

i can tell you that in the UK all the mexican food i tried (before moving here) was sit down kinda fancy stuff. wondering if you can find a decent burrito in london these days, maybe you can, if so i'd consider moving back.

There's some decent sit-down fancy Mexican food in LA, too. If you're looking to drop way too much on Mexican food. I've had some good stuff at Border Grill, but $25 and Mexican just feels off. Mas Malo is pretty ok, too. These two restaurants are enhanced considerably by the presence of tequila-based drinks.

Taco Zone is indeed a pretty good truck. King Taco is good for cheap and fast stationary restaurant tacos, especially if you're with someone who gets sketched out by dubious trucks.

If you ever see anyone eating a hard shell taco in LA, kill them.

There's so much good food here, though. Used to live near Little Tokyo, and I'd have parked my ass at Sushi Gen every week if I could afford it.

Probably 60% of my favorite restaurants Downtown have closed in the past year because of high rent. I'm basically in the process of re-configuring my go-to list. With tears in eyes. RIP, Cafe Metropol.

i should have specified in my last post uk fancy sit down mexican was not what i was after

Taco Zone is indeed a pretty good truck. King Taco is good for cheap and fast stationary restaurant tacos, especially if you're with someone who gets sketched out by dubious trucks.

that's 2 votes for taco zone

I'm reasonably certain that LA fancy sit down Mexican would be at least a little bit distinguishable UK fancy sit down Mexican, unless there are hordes of UKers craving things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_smut

edit: which is to say LA fancy sit down Mexican = hipster sit down Mexican

edit: actually, probably plenty of that in the UK, lol, but proximity to Mexico and Mexicans has to count for some stylistic difference

I'm guessing that's a reference to San Francisco or Mission style burritos: http://en.wikipedia....ancisco_burrito of which Chipotle burritos are kind of a mainstreamed national variety.

Burritos on their own aren't extremely authentic Mexican (more Mexican-American, although they originated in Northern Mexico), but the more Mexican, less-Mission variety is usually more meat and bean -centric, and god so much smaller.

couldn't have been Tyler, cos he's a walking fkin paradox (no he's not)

extremely authentic Mexican

extremely autistic Mexican is what i read

...IDM

sigmund-freud.jpg

extremely authentic Mexican

extremely autistic Mexican is what i read

...IDM

IMG00176-767019.jpg

i have a lot to say about this thread

yup

If you say that you also think Pink's Hot Dogs is overrated, I'll give you a high five

weekends are for popped collar fools. everyone knows the cool kids go out on weekdays.

lol, it's pretty obvious I'm not a cool kid. Fucking job has me behind a desk until 8-10pm every week night.

I should just stop liking music altogether and order some ties from brooks brothers.

you work 2 hours a day? seems alright to me

until 8pm or 10pm

usually beginning at 8 a.m. or 9 a.m.

photo-312.gif

But yeah, most people in LA apparently work 2 hours a day, so I understand the confusion.

Fuck that. New job? What do you do¿

Has anyone mentioned The Museum of Jurassic Technology yet? It's worth a visit, and it's free! http://www.mjt.org/

Thanks I saw that on a map and wondered what the fuck it was. I'll go find out.

Fuck that. New job? What do you do¿

Nah, I just made a shitty decision to go to law school and now I have to work as a shitty lawyer to pay off my shitty student loans; shit's shitty, don't ever do what I did. Shit.

Archived