IGNORED

Anyone going to glasgow?

Guest aphelion

that fucking winds me up. i'm glad i didn't go now.

i know his music is stupidly impressive at times, so why can't he employ a bit of effort instead of just chucking tunes together in traktor/ableton whatever.

not worth the ticket price if you ask me... what bugs me the most with aphex is that you never know if it's going to be an aphex performance, or a dj set until he takes thhe stage and decides what he can be arsed with.

total cop out.

Guest jacderida

Honestly, I'd really rather hear him play a DJ set than just see him standing infront of a laptop reproducing recorded material, unless there was a bit of an interesting slant to it like that video that was recorded in Italy with the live visuals and so on.

I actually went last night hoping for a DJ set, as he really is quite an incredible DJ. The second half of his set last night would have put most full time drum & bass DJs to shame.

You do have a fair enough point about 21 quid being fairly pricey for a DJ set, but I think you're being a little unfair when you say "he takes thhe stage and decides what he can be arsed with".

why does a performance have to be a laptop set?

surely he could bring along some of the increible equipment he's always talking about and actually play.

Guest jacderida

True enough.

I actually heard a story about when he played a club called Pure in Edinburgh back in either 92 or 94, and the guy who booked him was saying that he setup completely surrounded by synthesizers, circuit boards and machines that all looked custom made. He was doing live improvised stuff, and apparently the sounds that he was producing were absolutely incredible.

I certainly don't have any objections to live improvised electronic music, but even if he brought along a set of the worlds best super computers I wouldn't want to see him standing infront of them just reproducing his recorded material without any improvisations.

A DJ set really never left me feeling disappointed at all, and I really don't think it's half arsed on RDJ's behalf either, because the content and the diversity of the sets that I've heard are amazing in my opinion.

i went

it was shit

bad, bad, bad beatmatching (as in none at certain points)

too many dreadlock wankstahs and an over long boring set by RDJ (some if it was excellent tho - couple of serious old school rave moments)

mo

EDIT: and he butchered an Ulrich Schnauss song so much i felt like finding the cunt afterwards and slapping him

Guest stylesomega
i went

it was shit

bad, bad, bad beatmatching (as in none at certain points)

too many dreadlock wankstahs and an over long boring set by RDJ (some if it was excellent tho - couple of serious old school rave moments)

mo

EDIT: and he butchered an Ulrich Schnauss song so much i felt like finding the cunt afterwards and slapping him

yeah I went and you are spot on it was shit!

it was a very unstructured mess of a set and one of the most annoying aspect was the pilled up crowds overbearing reaction

one idiot even approched me and said "this is the best acid house music ive ever heard" WHAT? the venue was full of freaks and weirdo's

Aphex has a reputation for being musically intelligent and also eccentric but he is obviously using this perception to be extremely lazy

and the crowd cheer incase others think that they "dont understand" what the Twin is doing, when all he IS doing is stealing the price of admition

right out your wallet!

I went to see him DJ at a Glasshouse Transmissions night a few years back and he was as bad then, with an inability to mix his OWN records.

I thought a laptop set might be more his element but it was not the case.

I was left very disapointed,

the drugs dont work when the talent is a spent force

Guest jacderida

It's kinda wierd that a lot of folk on here didn't enjoy it.

I was right down at the front, and while the crowd were bothering me during the first half of the set, in the second half everyone else around me looked like they were really enjoying themselves and not being troublesome at all.

I was with a crowd of about 10 mates and everyone enjoyed it (none of them including myself were on pills).

Oh well, to each their own I suppose.

EDIT - Also, haha at some dude coming up to you and making that comment about acid house. I can't recall ANY acid house tunes being played at all, were there any?

Guest kalpol_introl
that fucking winds me up. i'm glad i didn't go now.

i know his music is stupidly impressive at times, so why can't he employ a bit of effort instead of just chucking tunes together in traktor/ableton whatever.

not worth the ticket price if you ask me... what bugs me the most with aphex is that you never know if it's going to be an aphex performance, or a dj set until he takes thhe stage and decides what he can be arsed with.

total cop out.

I've seen Aphex Twin 5/6 times in the past few years and every time it's been a DJ set. I don't think he plays live anymore as a rule.

True enough.

I actually heard a story about when he played a club called Pure in Edinburgh back in either 92 or 94, and the guy who booked him was saying that he setup completely surrounded by synthesizers, circuit boards and machines that all looked custom made. He was doing live improvised stuff, and apparently the sounds that he was producing were absolutely incredible.

I certainly don't have any objections to live improvised electronic music, but even if he brought along a set of the worlds best super computers I wouldn't want to see him standing infront of them just reproducing his recorded material without any improvisations.

A DJ set really never left me feeling disappointed at all, and I really don't think it's half arsed on RDJ's behalf either, because the content and the diversity of the sets that I've heard are amazing in my opinion.

I used to have the flyers for that gig on my wall - I ripped them off the street somewhere as they had been plastered over a bunch of existing flyers - you know how posters build up layers so you cna rip chunks off.

I saw Aphex at Subterania in London in 93 when he still had Nobby the dancer and piles of equipment - although I'm not sure about how "live" it was cos the Sheffield sound city (Hallam) set and the one I heard at Subterania were very similar (dig,on,slags,llinmiri) - plus as we've all heard the Hallam gig and the album versions of those tracks, there's not a hell of a lot of difference apart from maybe some effects in real time.

You do still get 100% live though - like the Triptych gig I went to last night instead of der AFX - SchneiderTM, who kicked ass.

Equipment doesn't mean it's live - me and my mates saw BoC perform in Edinburgh at the place you mention - The Venue - and saw them press play on the DAT machine. A red light turned green and the music started, at which point they earnestly started miming in front of their keyboards.

Guest BeatJunky

was ok. chokin for a fag all through and the drink was rank (brown water for coke). wasn't expecting much - just there out of a need to be.

took a pill when i had sworn before hand that i would never do another again.

that was defo the last though. defo.

rough as a badgers arse today.

good to see the mosaac oot in Weeg.

:fear:

Guest Barrichello

bugger. that was me posting above ^^^

my bro must have logged in here last night when he was up at the flat and left himself signed in..never noticed until the post came up.

im thick.

did autechre play behind a sheet? i saw them once at the venue many many years ago behind a sheet

I've seen Ae twice at the Venue - once as part of a Warp night with BoC and once as part of Triptych (or maybe T on the Fringe)

Don't remember a sheet, but they were certainly shite.

Gescom DJ was good though - saw him support v/vm.

Guest aphelion

For a 2 hour set, I thought he played some great stuff.

Obviously the first hour was building up to the heavier

stuff for the second hour. If he had played D&B for 2

hours straight, it would have been shit frankly! Definitely

worth the entry fee in my books, simply because he racked

up such a variety of tunes (even took a pop at DIDO).

DJ NED also did some great support between sets, Wolfman

was just a fuckin wall of noise, but The Bug did some pretty

decent work with the 2MCs. I think Richard kept everyone

entertained (don't remember him ever doing 2 hrs before?), but the

pillhead dreadlock wearing C**TS spoiled it a bit (chatting my fucking

ears off about 'Richard's Perception Of The Inner Mind')

C**TS :confused:

For a 2 hour set, I thought he played some great stuff.

Obviously the first hour was building up to the heavier

stuff for the second hour. If he had played D&B for 2

hours straight, it would have been shit frankly! Definitely

worth the entry fee in my books, simply because he racked

up such a variety of tunes (even took a pop at DIDO).

DJ NED also did some great support between sets, Wolfman

was just a fuckin wall of noise, but The Bug did some pretty

decent work with the 2MCs. I think Richard kept everyone

entertained (don't remember him ever doing 2 hrs before?), but the

pillhead dreadlock wearing C**TS spoiled it a bit (chatting my fucking

ears off about 'Richard's Perception Of The Inner Mind')

C**TS :confused:

lol, no-one can escape the dreadlock brigade...they`ve been at every gig i`ve been to for the last year. theyr like a sub cult which has risen from the ashes of goth. The worst ones are the ones who dance, they thrash theyr heads about as if it was death metal they were listening to. I`ve been hit by a few rogue locks of dread during their frenzied head movements.

Guest Gump

i went

i saw

i enjoyed it cos i was drunk as fuck - i took a pill and.....

well to be honest i was expecting more - highlights were digiridoo and the biggest highlight of the night was when he played LCC by AE

now that has to say something - the highlight of an Aphex gig is when he plays an AE track

still had a good time though but bastards wouldn't let me out for a smoke

Archived