IGNORED

good web hosting

tec

The title basically explains everything, what have you guys used and were they decent?

And on a side note, if by some bizarre miracle my website became stupidly popular and I bought the service for three years what would stop them from screwing me over if I wanted to renew?

I've been with Go Daddy for about a year. Near the start there were a few site availability problems but they seem to be non-existant now. I would've ditched them but I couldn't be bothered to be honest.

That and the fact that I get almost daily money off emails from them makes me advise against them.

Then again they were the cheapest that offered SSH access, which I wanted.

Guest jasondonervan

I use Bluehost because it came with a Wordpress bundle. Nothing huge, but I just wouldn't use Bluehost again.

Interested to know why you wouldn't use them again - bad experience? I used them a few years ago, consistently good service and rarely any downtime. I accidentally let a 3 year auto-renew tip over, but when I explained I intended to cancel (nothing sinister, just didn't need that particular hosting any more) they were very reasonable and refunded the full amount that was automatically billed to my credit card.

Guest Gary C

I use Bluehost because it came with a Wordpress bundle. Nothing huge, but I just wouldn't use Bluehost again.

Interested to know why you wouldn't use them again - bad experience? I used them a few years ago, consistently good service and rarely any downtime. I accidentally let a 3 year auto-renew tip over, but when I explained I intended to cancel (nothing sinister, just didn't need that particular hosting any more) they were very reasonable and refunded the full amount that was automatically billed to my credit card.

I've only been with them for a year, but within days of renewing I had lots of downtime. It wasn't a massive problem, as I'm not monetising, and I appreciate that it happens. But there was a handful of instances of downtime over a month.

I haven't looked around for comparative prices as I don't want to depress myself, but I bet there's cheaper options for the same standard.

Have Hostgator and been using them for 5-6 years now with no issues. Have all my clients using them too, although I dont do much web work any more.

Archived