IGNORED

The Daily Commute

Guest onesixoneight

Commute 3 miles to work. I get the tram which is cool. Takes 15 mins (20mins door to door if you time it right) and a ticket is 13 a week. I can start and finish when I want. I normally get in for 8.30 and leave at 5. Sometimes start later or finish earlier or later and work from home

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work out of home most of the time so a lot of days I grab my laptop and make calls and send e-mails from bed, which is nice.

Before that it was 20 min. bike ride, 25 min. train, 10 min. bus and then +/-5 min. walk each day, not too bad going to work but going back home I'd always miss my train connection which added another 30 minutes to the journey, usually because some idiot from work wanted to make small talk just when I'd put my coat on to leave.

I've dealt with all extremes. I worked from home for a few years, so my commute was from my bed to the next room. This was the least stressful obviously, but working at home takes a mental toll after a while. Perhaps it's because rent in San Francisco is batshit crazy and my place is tiny, but waking up in the same place where you work in the same place that you go to sleep gets really old. Work starts to blur with real life and it's just not as relaxing to be at home.

I've also commuted from San Francisco to Mountain View, which was anywhere between 1-2 hours each way by car depending on traffic. I don't know why I put up with it for so long, I'd love those weeks spent driving of my life back. I'll never do it again.

Now my commute is about 20-25 minutes by bike or 30-45 minutes by train, which I'm pretty happy with. It gives my mind enough time to switch modes and forces some exercise when I bike it.

I work out of home most of the time so a lot of days I grab my laptop and make calls and send e-mails from bed, which is nice.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk[/media]

Thanks for reminding me to watch more Mitchell and Webb, love it.

But yeah, it's hard to remember not to pull down my pants and point the browser to watmm for a quick one on the rare days I actually am at the office.

Guest Franklin

My job involves traveling to and from my patient's houses so it various but I would say on average that I'm going about 30 minutes between each of them. traveling is a part of the job though.

I've been thinking about starting to take HD video of some of my more beautiful drives. if I get around to that I'll post.

Archived