IGNORED

Calling all Apple experts and people with server knowledge

Squee

Alright, so at my work we have a server (a Mac mini) that people log in to to gain access to all our files. But, every now and then we get freelancers and we don't want them to gain access to the entire server for obvious reasons. Instead, we only want them to have access to ONE specific folder when they log in. So how do I go about and do that? I guess I should create a new user account with limited access, but since I'm no expert on this area it would be greatly appreciated if someone could guide me through this :)

Put that folder in some sort of shared drop-box folder. I'm infant on the server part, but in the private department, there's always a folder where anyone could look and put files.

Look in the root for "Public" and or "Drop box".

Put that folder in some sort of shared drop-box folder. I'm infant on the server part, but in the private department, there's always a folder where anyone could look and put files.

Look in the root for "Public" and or "Drop box".

Yeah, we could do that, but the thing there already is a folder that they REALLY want to use and there's no way in hell I can make them change their mind about it :)

^Looks interesting. Might look into it.

Well, it turns out it was way easier than I thought it would be. I'm just gonna create a new account and limit that accounts access to just that one folder from the Sharing setting in System Preferences.

^Looks interesting. Might look into it.

Well, it turns out it was way easier than I thought it would be. I'm just gonna create a new account and limit that accounts access to just that one folder from the Sharing setting in System Preferences.

D'oh! That's right! Been so long since I did something like that!

The Power of Mac™

You can also use pureftpd (that one specifically since there seems there are several projects with this name) http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/.

Contrary to osx default ftp server, it allows you to manage accounts.

I used this instead a while ago while working on a project because it was simpler to manage than osx users.

An you can access it from the web (which is not the case if you use samba/afp.

Archived