IGNORED

Motorbike riders thread

usagi

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the only way to be even faster on the line that he's taking through that corner would be to hang off and keep the bike more upright. But for the way he's sitting, he is pretty much on the limit there. (For the record I have never ground a peg on public roads and I've never ridden a supersport like his, so my pegs have less ground clearance to begin with. And like him I don't move around in the seat much either.)

I'm not sure about the throttle control, at first I thought the audible rev increase was just because his rear tire was already letting go, but in the slo-mo it does look like like he gives it a bit of throttle exactly when he is at max lean. On the other hand maybe it's just the movement of the bars as the slide starts that makes it look like he is twisting the throttle.

Either way it looks like it was a deceptive decreasing radius turn and/or he came into it too fast. He has turned in too soon (common problem since you're instinctively scared of running off the outside, especially when you have the feeling you may be going a little fast for the turn) and you can see him having to tighten his line while he's already way over on the inside of his lane. So he got greedy with lean angle, throttle, or both. And then he shuts the throttle, and his rear tire grips again causing the bike to buck him off the way it did. He was probably screwed anyway at that point but if he had kept the throttle open he might at least have crashed a bit more gracefully.

or maybe he was just showing off to the camera? no mention of the fact that he's not looking where he's going?

strange that you criticise his lack of crash control technique but not the mistake which caused him to lose control in the first place (throttle too early in the corner).

Guest jasondonervan

Sold my Gixxer last year as I didn't really have the time to get proper use out of it, commuting covered by my car, etc. Shame really, as it was a clean original (original pipe, no aftermarket rubbish):

7x3SVQb.jpg

I still have my full license, so I can jump back in should the itch need scratching again in future. Bikes are so cheap on the secondhand market in the UK these days, it's amazing what you can get for your money.

Pretty impractical, but I'd still dearly love to get hold of a Kwacka Kz1000 - one of the earliest superbikes and the dominator of it's era. And yes, I would totally deck it out in Jim Goose's MFP livery.. legendary (err, probably best not to watch the last bit of the vid if you're looking to get into bikes!):

And the best advice I was given to me by one of my instructors when I started out?

"Ride your bike as if everyone else on the road is out to kill you."

strange that you criticise his lack of crash control technique but not the mistake which caused him to lose control in the first place (throttle too early in the corner).

Uhm, I said right away he was taking risks in my first post, when you seemed to be saying he was taking it easy and was just unlucky, but maybe I misunderstood you.

Uhm, I said right away he was taking risks in my first post, when you seemed to be saying he was taking it easy and was just unlucky, but maybe I misunderstood you.

it didn't look fast to me but i never said he was unlucky... it was obviously his bad judgement, his fault.

OK, so anyway I'm saying he isn't just puttering about and then making one mistake by grabbing too much throttle, he is in over his head throughout the whole turn and has made a couple of stupid decisions before the video even starts.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess at least you're not planning on being a cyclist. But motocyclists are only a little less obnoxious road users (as a group)

I do agree that the guys on the harleys etc. tend to be a little cruisier in their riding style, waiting in line and the like. But then they express their obnoxiousness through the unfiltered blast of sound coming through the tailpipe. Why those noise makers are legal i can't understand.

The tone of your reply suggests that you'd make a great motorbike rider usagi. One of the team.

Also, i have ridden a motorbike, was a dirt bike, and it was pretty fun. I just think that the temptation to do evil on those things is too great. And after a while even the most sensible gentleman will come to feel what were once indiscretions have become a right. You hope that you won't become one of those ppl usagi, i hope so too.

Also, it's not selective. 9 times out of 10 of when we have a queue at the lights and there is a sports bike there, he will glide up through. Why kid yourself about that it's a poor way to win an argument. I'm not stopping you from getting a bike, just giving you a taste of what the other road users will think of you if you get out of line (literally).

Guest jasondonervan

welp

I passed, got my licence, and just bought my first bike a few hours ago. it's a 2013 Suzuki Inazuma. getting it delivered on Monday, cannae fooken wait.

Congratulations mate. Ride safe, and have fun!

Nice bike man, very sensible choice and will probably handle much better than a cruiser at anything faster than a walking pace (literally).

Coincidentally my dad rides an older Inazuma (GSX 750).

Oh yeah, congrats!

Can´t wait for the riding season to start (even though I made a promise to ride a little less. oh well). We only have like three good months of riding per year, 5 if you stretch it and don´t mind rain and sub 10c˙ temperatures.

Aaaaand a bit of fuel for the haters. Lane splitting and filtering forward should be made legal and serious penalties should be sentenced to those car drivers who open their doors or switch lanes abrubtly causing motorcycle accidents. Of course splitting lanes should only be legal when the traffic is completely or nearly completely stopped, and there should be a very low speed limit for doing that.

It has been researched quite a bit, and actually it could help traffic jams and free more space for cars esp. in clogged cities, and subsequently more vehicles could pass during a green light etc.

Oh, here´s another over the top customised version of the Ducati 1100 Monster that I will one day hopefully get:

Ducati%20Monster%201100%20Wayne%20Ransom

Lane splitting is actually allowed in Belgium, by the way. But only up to 50 km/h and the speed difference with the other traffic cannot exceed 20 km/h, so effectively you can ride through stopped traffic at 20 km/h.

Guest fiznuthian

I guess at least you're not planning on being a cyclist. But motocyclists are only a little less obnoxious road users (as a group)

I do agree that the guys on the harleys etc. tend to be a little cruisier in their riding style, waiting in line and the like. But then they express their obnoxiousness through the unfiltered blast of sound coming through the tailpipe. Why those noise makers are legal i can't understand.

There's definitely two different breeds of cyclists..

I think your issues are with the "claim the lane" crowd. I disagree that its safer but i've had fucking awful experiences so i'm biased. Bikes can handle lots of varied terrain, and I much prefer to stay off the road as much as possible. Sidewalks, gravel, railroads, ditches, grassy whatever, or anything that keeps me out of traffic is ideal. I'll spend all of 5 seconds with a vehicle riding behind me before I get off the road and wait.

I just don't understand how those law abiding people do it..

yes, bicycles are fun to ride. I just think that roads are too congested these days for society to allow them to share the lanes with cars that travel 2-3 times faster than they do. It's a bit like how they don't allow agricultural vehicles on motorways. But somehow cyclists have managed to hang on. Eventually despite any campaining they might go through to continue to share the roads, we will have to ban them during peaks periods. Which coincidentally is when most of the bicycle nuisances are on the road. So in one fell swoop we'll rub most of them out, and they can save the planet or model their lycra skin suits, walking on the spot on the bus or something.

--

Guest fiznuthian

yes, bicycles are fun to ride. I just think that roads are too congested these days for society to allow them to share the lanes with cars that travel 2-3 times faster than they do. It's a bit like how they don't allow agricultural vehicles on motorways. But somehow cyclists have managed to hang on. Eventually despite any campaining they might go through to continue to share the roads, we will have to ban them during peaks periods. Which coincidentally is when most of the bicycle nuisances are on the road. So in one fell swoop we'll rub most of them out, and they can save the planet or model their lycra skin suits, walking on the spot on the bus or something.

--

Completely agreed. "Share the road" is a complete joke.

1) Inattentional Blindness

2) Cars can't stop nearly as quick as a cyclist. I see no way of getting around this. Large vehicles are even worse. Cyclists can decelerate super quick, fall off their bike, ride into a hole (happened to me once in a parking lot), or any number of ways of stopping far too fast when vehicles are around. Then the vehicle behind them could potentially run them over with no other options.

3) In my experience the people wearing lycra, with their flashy bright colors, somehow manage to blend into the horizon fairly well. I guess Earth is too colorful or something.

4) Despite efforts to increase road safety LOTS of people still drive around eating, calling people, staring at roadside babes, getting in deep conversations with passengers, or at the worst texting.. I don't see any way around this either.

5) There's a majority out there who aren't cyclists and will simply never be okay with your humble 10-15 mph average speed. Some dumb fuck is going to try and harass you eventually.

I'm sure I can think of more.. but as a person who adores commuting on my bike I just don't bother to "claim the lane" and ride with traffic. My commutes are insanely windy and rough but whatever.. After getting hit in the back of my skull by a 50 mph, completely full Dr. Pepper while commuting home one day I made the decision stay far, far away from roads as much as possible.

Yes, with all this focus on the road safety of cars and bringing the accident and injury rates down. It is indeed strange that bicycles continue to be tolerated. Another sad example of that dire plague of society, cognitive dissonance.

Cruisers all have terrible ground clearance though some will be worse than others obviously.

And the pipes in the bottom pic are different to the ones in the top, probably not stock.

Archived