IGNORED

other good electronic music production forums?

While not very active, 12k (record label) has a forum with a music production section. You may find some useful information there. I guess it's more geared towards ambient music though, if that's your thing.

" i mean i know this place is a sausagefest but it doesn't scream it"

i dis agree

this is a thing I've had to think about over the last week or so. These are the youtube gender demographics for a nerdy-techy-music-production-related video I've uploaded 9 days ago. Peter Kirn posted it on CDM, it's got 2600 views by now, which should be enough for a statistic:

Screen%20Shot%202013-04-28%20at%2010.16.

100% sausages! Not 99%, but 100%. The message is clear.

I wouldn't be surprised if this statistic reflected the demography of "people interested or involved in music production" quite accurately. I would also not be surprised if these were pretty much only white guys.

EM411 and XLTronic are the only other two electronic music forums I'm familiar with. EM411 seems more oriented towards music production than general discussion, while XLTronic is the other way around, at least from my experience.

I pretty much abandoned both though, well before I came here.

Gearslutz is awful, partly because of the signal to noise ratio. Useful for the search function though. Idmforums is dreadful in every possible way. Muffs is good, decent community, just don't attempt to listen to any of the music that comes out of it.

Gearslutz will convince you that making music requires expensive gear.

That highlights the primary problem. I never browse gearslutz, I instead search it when I see an obscure or vintage piece of audio equipment or gear. Otherwise it's the pitfalls of opinionated and arrogant (or ignorant) forum users amplified.

I also browsed dubstepforums years ago for sub-bass vst/technique information but beyond that it's just too cluttered with useless threads.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crowder

" i mean i know this place is a sausagefest but it doesn't scream it"

i dis agree

this is a thing I've had to think about over the last week or so. These are the youtube gender demographics for a nerdy-techy-music-production-related video I've uploaded 9 days ago. Peter Kirn posted it on CDM, it's got 2600 views by now, which should be enough for a statistic:

Screen%20Shot%202013-04-28%20at%2010.16.

100% sausages! Not 99%, but 100%. The message is clear.

I wouldn't be surprised if this statistic reflected the demography of "people interested or involved in music production" quite accurately. I would also not be surprised if these were pretty much only white guys.

This has much more to do with preferred genre of the community than whether women and non-white men are interested in music production (they are)

Archived