IGNORED

James Ferraro - NYC, Hell 3:00 AM

Guest Gravity

Guest Zelmo Swift

artworks-000052911797-jqmsoo-crop.jpg?3e

This just came out and is streaming here until the 21st.

http://pitchfork.com/advance/257-nyc-hell-300-am/

Some good stuff on here, reminds me a bit of Dean Blunt (the guy from Hype Williams) - The Redeemer.

I want to like this, but I can't. It's just too monotonous and repetitive. I think what he was doing on COLD and SUSHI worked, but this new one just feels...bleh. I dunno. What are your feelings on it?

As for Dean Blunt, I think The Narcissist II is a masterpiece, but I could not get into The Redeemer musically. I love his singing voice and lyrics, but the synth strings put me off. Papi is the one track I could really get into. I hope he does more straightforward RnB stuff.

Guest Gravity

Sushi is great yeah, I first heard it the other day but I enjoyed it a lot. This album doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd listen to over and over but I do like some of the vibes it gives off. Stuff like Beautiful John K, QR JR, Stuck 1, Niggas, Vanity etc. I'm not too into the singing but as I said the vibe on some of these tracks is great.

I haven't heard any of Dean's solo stuff besides The Redeemer. I actually liked the way he used the synth strings. Demon & All Dogs Go To Heaven were my favorites, but I haven't heard it in a while... I should listen to it again today.

Edited by Gravity

Guest Zelmo Swift

I don't really get Dean Blunt, Hype Williams, etc. Who where when how why is this

They're probably kind of overrated as there's a lot of variability in the quality of their work, but I think they have moments of brilliance.

They are a DIY project that managed to get a lot of press and exposure (by design?).

The Narcissist II, although credited to Dean Blunt, could probably be considered a Hype Williams release. Inga Copeland sings on the title track, which might be their finest recorded moment. The release, as a whole, I find revelatory and deeply moving. If you can't get into The Narcissist II, it's likely you will never like Hype Williams.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 years later...