IGNORED

studio monitors

Guest arbee

Guest ambodino mutuumbooo

I've always produced with my headphones, there is no big deal here I guess since I'm able to do a good mix and all. headphones are great to make beats when people around are asleep or don't want to be bothered. headphones are not great cause they can fuck your ears up if you use them for a long period (just like what I do). so I guess it's time for me to check for some studio monitors.

I know those things can become quickly expansive, and I'm not a rich freak... what do you guys use or what do you recommand. I am interested in everything, cheap or expansive, I will checkout more seriously to buy those that aren't too pricy but still, just tell me what you know, thanks.

i will probably being buying a pair of yamaha msp-3's in the future

from what i've read they seem to be very good monitors. they are somewhat as reliable and accurate as the old industry standard msp (10 ?) which aren't made anymore

don't know much about monitors but i have a fm magazine that reviewed a bunch of speakers and this pair won... so... um, yeah

google-motherfucker.jpg

nah, seriously, don't get anything with <6" bass drivers. and don't trust any pair of speakers that costs <300$ (i mean, MSP3? that kinda shit is only half-decent in the midrange, you can forget about ANY bass coming out of those underpowered things. and don't even think about cranking them up). don't get anything with less than 100W RMS power. so... that rules out all crappy plastic 'monitors' for wannabe celine dion's.

i really don't know what kind of room you're going to use them in or how much money you'll spend on them. if you are really skint you can try the Alesis Monitor One's or Tannoy Reveals out in a store. those'll go for 300-400$ (the active version). but that ain't much quality either.

if you can spend a little more, take a look at the low-end Adam monitors, the Mackies (824's) or some mid-range Genelecs (dont bother with the small Genelecs).

for those kinda monitors you'll spend 500-2000$.

bottom line is, just go to a store, bring some music (varied stuff, especially stuff with monstrous low-end, 'darkambient' like Lull or Lustmord would be a good choice:)) and just listen to the things that you can afford. take your time and dont listen to the store-employees. then just pick the ones you like most...

iep thanks for that, i thought they were decent but i'm guessing now that i look back on it the speaker competition for lack of a better word was between low-end speakers...

werd. i'll look into those names you rattled off

If you're making music digitally and/or electronically I'd go with the lx4 2.1 monitors because they can be expanded to a 5.1 monitoring system for the day in the future you decide to want to mix a surround sound masterpiece.

However, until you have the funds for monitors like these, keep in mind that it's NOT rocket science to create electronic/digital song mixes that are going to be accurate through the majority of stereos that the public may use to listen to your songs. It just requires an extra step or two. My buddy has been making music for years and last month his younger brother got a 5.1 monitors system and when he played his old tracks through it I didn't notice anything I would have mixed differently when it was coming through the flatfield like that. and his music was mixed through a combinations of headphones, pc speakler system and referenced on a theater and car systems.

Why do people insist on recommending M-Audio in these threads? Are you really so "in love" with your puchase? Have you ever even heard anything else other than that bitchin' radical Bose surround system at Best Buy?

Read Iep's post, then read it again.

yeah but if you read ambodino mutuumbooo's comment twice you'll see he brought it to the potential reader's attention that he didn't have a lot of money to spend. It so happens M-Audio has a unit that's not too expensive and will provide an accurate representation of a mix. I'm not in love with m-audio, however, I did own there delta 66/omni studio bundle and have read nothing but great comments on there affordable equipment. and by the way, there's no evidence that mixing with a 2.1 monitoring system will diminish the mid-range frequencies in the track. It may very well mean you just have too much bass or not enough midrange.

As for a Bose surround system, I wouldn't recommend going out to buy one for mixing. Use what you have until you can afford a flatfield surround monitoring system.

Guest test pattern

honestly...u should wait til you have atleast about $600 to spend...most lower budget monitors have at least 1 or 2 things wrongs with them....like they are ported to 'extend' the bass....which means these dont put out enough bass so will try to acoustically amplify it....also the enclosures used are typically cheap, resonant material which will color the sound....go for something my mackie, dynaudio, genelec, adam, tannoy, tapco...or find a pair of good oldschool monitors that are industy standards (like NS10s)....

Guest ambodino mutuumbooo

thnx for the infos guys, really appreciated. I'm starting to make my mind. I guess I gotta wait a bit since I don't have enough money nowadays but I'll still remember all the infos here, thankx again.

Guest test pattern

cuz i wouldnt trust tascam for monitors...look at my prev post for some brands i'd consider.....

oh....also, im graduating with a b.s. in the recording industry...so when i buy gear i want it to be of the highest quality...

Archived