IGNORED

horror films to ruin the mind

tec

ugh, pgbreak

I just saw Tusk and it was fucking worthless.

I hated Smith's previous film before that, Red State, but I liked Tusk for the most part just from how absurd it was. The movie felt like it was a parody of M Night. Shyamalan's flicks. Watching Johnny Depp's eyes randomly move around like a pair of googily eyes, the brown recluse spider stories, and the walrus suits were the best parts. There is also an obscene amount of Canadian history littered in the movie too.

There is a decent amount of horror in the show, but since it's inflicted upon Justin Long there will probably be more cheering than recoiling in horror.

the Canadian history bits were entirely lost on me. that might have made it a better experience (if I'd caught them, I mean). but yeah, the absurdity just rang wrong to me, I had a really hard time getting anything out of that movie.

when it comes to horror, I'm more a fan of serious stuff that aims to really cut through to you and speak to you on a personal level. zany/wacky type horror does not work for me, excepting older stuff like Evil Dead, older zombie movies, etc. I can't remember which other watmmer said it, possibly in this thread, but there seems to be a major lack of horror films that really relate to you in terms of your life experience. I want to see horror films about isolation, distrust, inability to communicate, futility of life, etc. I think that's partly why I'm very much drawn to post-apocalyptic fiction.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tusk was good until Depp arrived and then Kevin Smith got lost up his own arse, the flashback where Depp meets the killer is painfully unfunny.

Imprint was mentioned on the last page and I thought that was deece, particularly if you're a fan of Miike. The Witch is a slow-burner but I really liked it, probably the last horror I saw that gave me goosebumps.

• 1 month later...

Archived