IGNORED

the mythical fractal waveshaper is released

Ragnar

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=158673

coolscreenie.png

post # 5

I found some math thing where you can get a complex number by raising the sample to an imaginary power. I found if you keep it in the right parameters you can basically draw ANY waveshaped version of the original sound as a sidechain and it'll still sound ok/not clicky like graphical waveshapers tend to be. I merged it with a tanh thing so you can use it to enlouden your music. And then I combined it with my fractal waveshaper I had lying around which is kind of like it generates a graphic waveshape with infinite little details from a few parameters plus an interface where you place points on the fractal, just to give the user more control over the sound.

But yeah don't let the input signal clip and only overdrive with the sliders in the fx itself, keep the first drive slider >= 2 and it should get fuzzy but never click because it can't flip the sign for whatever reason. It is technically an asymmetrical waveshaper though I guess? It reacts differently to positive and negative values it just never changes sign within those parameters. The green graph is essentially the waveshape it 'draws' for you

Guest skibby

Ragnar you are a mad genius. This looks like the most elaborate waveshaper I've seen. Could you add vector morphing between snapshots? Or would that go into diminishing returns?

Ragnar you are a mad genius. This looks like the most elaborate waveshaper I've seen. Could you add vector morphing between snapshots? Or would that go into diminishing returns?

probably?

I tried a version that maps to the fractal by turnin the sample value into a point on HILBERT SPACE FILLING CURVE too. I kinda don't like the lack of control though and I can't get too many iterations even though it's like bitwise XORs and stuff that I thought was CPU-friendly

if you make anything nice with it please post

haha dude this looks great! neat idea. i love playing around with fractal equations with max and reaktor but i don't quite understand it enough to make anything too complex. we should get some soundcloud demos itt

I'm prepping one now that seems pretty fudging loud w/o dulling the sound, it was just a matter of nudging the distortion coordinates a lot with the hilbert curve ver. and a little similarly precise EQ with wet/dry to phase things out slightly

• 2 weeks later...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1519274#post1519274

BIG update/breakthrough, basically makes the old versions obsolete. I tried a simple change and saturated the /phase/ instead of the magnitude, and might actually be expanding the magnitude now. Either way whatever is happening with the phase part somehow seems to move shit/sounds out of the way in a pleasing way like tape(?) I guess. Either way it sounds gr8

• 2 weeks later...

found out if you do the imaginary power thing first and then use those as coordinates for the fractal and take the phase of that, you get a nice sound. I'm using it more to add a little dynamics so when you finally tanh() it it doesn't feel as harsh/dull/closed in and can boost it more as a result. You can probably do special effects but I'm just using it to simulate tape or some other vaguely analog feel

Only bad thing is you can't configure it as much as a result? Just julia coordinates/color banding/xy offset, and the overdrive/max imaginary power (which seems to get crackly around pi (possibly a mathematical reason for this?))

• 2 months later...

Does the sidechaining go via stereo left/right, or am I imagining things?

Haven't tried it yet but definitely going to. By the way, your soundcloud examples seem to be down.

Does the sidechaining go via stereo left/right, or am I imagining things?

Haven't tried it yet but definitely going to. By the way, your soundcloud examples seem to be down.

two stereo pairs

http://stash.reaper.fm/v/24769/fractal%20waveshaper%20beta.txt

should be more usable now. waveshape graph works now, you can use the mousewheel over it to zoom in to the shape and see how deep the detail goes (kind of sort of). Mouse wheel down resets it

also if it was unclear you can zoom by left clicking/right clicking on the fractal

in the init section there's a customop function if you want to do weird things/trig functions on the fractal (the loop slider already does sin(z)/cos(z) because I found it made a lot of detail/weird patterns even outside the fractal/as you change the julia coordinates). Just paste the same code in customop and customopgfx if you want to see how it looks

just wanted to say this sounds awesome if you do dynamic EQ or compression on the sidechain, even extreme compression cause it's changing the color of the distortion, not actually altering the volume per se

• 2 weeks later...

Archived