IGNORED

Melancholic Ambient

flacid

Made a couple of slow ambient tracks. Really like the 1st one. Will be making a lot more ambient stuff moving forward but plan to use multiple melodies/chords etc so they won't be as sparse as these.

Any thoughts/criticism always appreciated. Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/srvll/home

https://soundcloud.com/srvll/beam

I enjoyed both tracks. You display a calmness with your synth work that I personally need to channel more often in my stuff :)

This isn't feedback per sey, but if it were me at the synth, I'd avoid the very resonance-y points in the tracks (such as at 2:29 on beam). They seem to have a mood to them where that kind of resonance doesn't really add anything. I'd have explored the moody lower timbres, like you pretty much did the whole time.

I also think the background noise was especially soothing. Where did you get these samples, if you don't mind? Edit: The end tells me everything. Heh.

I really like Home. Background hum and little clacks in there is great. I really like when the synth goes completely quiet and then comes back in. That part is perfect!

If it were me I would try to add another element in the 2:30 range, but the way you go to a new register sounds like you had a similar thought.

I enjoyed both tracks. You display a calmness with your synth work that I personally need to channel more often in my stuff :)

This isn't feedback per sey, but if it were me at the synth, I'd avoid the very resonance-y points in the tracks (such as at 2:29 on beam). They seem to have a mood to them where that kind of resonance doesn't really add anything. I'd have explored the moody lower timbres, like you pretty much did the whole time.

I also think the background noise was especially soothing. Where did you get these samples, if you don't mind? Edit: The end tells me everything. Heh.

Cheers dude. My aim with all of this is to create something beautiful in terms of 'lushness' of sound and melodies. This will come with practice I think but feel like I'm heading in the direction I want to go. Last week I wrote the start to 4 new tracks that include multiple melodies and backing chords so hope to progress with these. Agreed on the resonance points. To be honest was just experimenting with it but yeah it doesn't add a lot.

lol at the sample... yeah I like to record them live at the moment so that I don't have to spend any time in a DAW.

I really like Home. Background hum and little clacks in there is great. I really like when the synth goes completely quiet and then comes back in. That part is perfect!

If it were me I would try to add another element in the 2:30 range, but the way you go to a new register sounds like you had a similar thought.

Thanks Mat. I like the human imperfection of any music (and have got bored with Ableton) so I like to leave stuff like that in. Yeah, I'm aware that the tracks are a bit repetitive but these are more experiments to see what I like/dislike. I will be adding more elements in the future (although hopefully not too many...)

this is very nice, I especially like the beginning, I have always thought it's hard to have "your own sound" when making ambient, because you use so little to make it - but this track (to me) sounds quite unique, at least the beginning - If it where me I'll skip increasing the cutoff bit (1:16-2:15) and just spin on with the low cutoff sound, maybe not even develop the melody, just fuck around with reverb and delay for 10 minutes.

this sounds very, very similar to some ideas I have had lately, so naturally I like it a lot - just a synth verse and playing around with fx, beautiful.

this is very nice, I especially like the beginning, I have always thought it's hard to have "your own sound" when making ambient, because you use so little to make it - but this track (to me) sounds quite unique, at least the beginning - If it where me I'll skip increasing the cutoff bit (1:16-2:15) and just spin on with the low cutoff sound, maybe not even develop the melody, just fuck around with reverb and delay for 10 minutes.

this sounds very, very similar to some ideas I have had lately, so naturally I like it a lot - just a synth verse and playing around with fx, beautiful.

Thanks for listening and for the positive words. I'm trying to develop my own sound/style but obviously it's pretty fucking difficult! I'll just keep making stuff that I like the sound of and keep making tunes. Interestingly I am going to be going down the reverb/delay route but with additional melodies that come in and out. We'll see what turns up.

Archived