IGNORED

ZoeB's Stepper Acid mini-feature on SonicState

LimpyLoo

Thanks for the info! What Python module were you using for sound? I know a fair amount of Python and would like to muck about with some audio code.

I also bought 'Designing Audio Effect Plug-ins in C++' a few months back and want to jump into that. Have you read it?

You're welcome! I just used the wave module. It's not real time, it renders .wav files as fast as it can. I never did figure out how to output sound, which is a shame given my love of programming, sound and music... I've got many O'Reilly books from way back, but really, for Stepper Acid's signal board firmware all I used was the K&R book and Atmel's hefty PDF file documenting their microcontroller that we used, so that Nina could teach me how to read from and write to its registers. (It's just like PEEKing and POKEing, for anyone as old as me, only with handy variable names like OCR1A instead of numbers like 53280!) Nina wrote the interface board firmware, for a similar but different Atmel microcontroller. And again, I can't stress this enough, she designed, sourced the parts for, and hand soldered the hardware!

people who can code hold the keys to th world. i have a burning rage of jealousy towards coders

Buy second hand books. Watch university lectures on YouTube. Download the source code to a free program you like (Git, MAME, Vim, what have you). Work out a reasonably simple thing you'd like to make, and make it. Having a specific project to work on, a specific goal in mind, helps, at least according to Adam Savage and others.

I learnt programming on the Commodore Plus/4 when I was 6, I'm sure you can manage now that we all have unlimited Internet access. Also, Python is a far better beginner's language than BASIC ever was.

For example, here's a simple program I wrote that displays high scores stored in Centipede's NVRAM. It's not particularly useful to anyone, but I'm trying to keep up the C coding habit, and practice reading files. You also get to work out all the cool tricks that good programmers like Dona Bailey used. How cool is that?

Archived