IGNORED

draft thing

I've been working on a track that I built on a sample a friend sent me. I've been uploading a lot of different stages of the track as it's coming along, so I thought I'd post it here. You can share your opinions on how it's coming along if you have any.

Here's the most recent draft

Here are the previous versions that I've uploaded over the last few days

I think it's been going very nicely. Unfortunately, I don't know when I should stop adding new connections within the track. The possibilities are endless, and every idea I put into the patch gives me many more.

Yeah, I suppose it does sound pretty Oversteppish, even if it was more BoC-inspired. I decided to throw the synth chords into a chucker~ yesterday, but I think I'll find some sort of balance between the two. I just need some more variation in there.

Listened to the one on the top of the page. Would be cool if drums were a bit louder, this might be a good situation to apply side chain compression. It's pretty noisy, theres a lot going on which is good but maybe some volume automation could bring out some things and make it sound less stagnant

Listened to the one on the top of the page. Would be cool if drums were a bit louder, this might be a good situation to apply side chain compression. It's pretty noisy, theres a lot going on which is good but maybe some volume automation could bring out some things and make it sound less stagnant

Check the latest version that was posted. It's very different, so your advice will be more up to date.

Check the latest version that was posted. It's very different, so your advice will be more up to date.

this latest version is a lot more refined but i still find it hard to feel the drums. This might be due to the amount of mid frequencies in the track masking the snare. I do like how the melodic bits come out more, especially that low bell sound

this latest version is a lot more refined but i still find it hard to feel the drums. This might be due to the amount of mid frequencies in the track masking the snare. I do like how the melodic bits come out more, especially that low bell sound

Yeah, I'm kind of proud of that sine wave. It took a lot of work to get it the way I wanted (actually, every part of the track took a lot of work). The track definitely is a mess sonically because the only thing with an EQ on it is the bass drum. I've been focusing on the sequencing and modulation for now, and I'm going to do the mixing once the track is more fleshed out, which will probably be pretty soon.

The problem I've been facing is planning out how I want the whole thing to flow over the course of the track and how long I want it to be, which is pretty difficult to do in Max, especially for someone relatively new to it like myself.

Thank you for the comments, though. I've noticed how very quiet the drums are, so I'll keep in mind to make them much more prominent when I'm mixing.

Yeah, I'm kind of proud of that sine wave. It took a lot of work to get it the way I wanted (actually, every part of the track took a lot of work). The track definitely is a mess sonically because the only thing with an EQ on it is the bass drum. I've been focusing on the sequencing and modulation for now, and I'm going to do the mixing once the track is more fleshed out, which will probably be pretty soon.

The problem I've been facing is planning out how I want the whole thing to flow over the course of the track and how long I want it to be, which is pretty difficult to do in Max, especially for someone relatively new to it like myself.

Thank you for the comments, though. I've noticed how very quiet the drums are, so I'll keep in mind to make them much more prominent when I'm mixing.

Can't you just record the audio of each section and arrange then later in a separate daw? I've never used Max but it doesn't seem like the type of program you can mix in, correct me if I'm wrong

Can't you just record the audio of each section and arrange then later in a separate daw? I've never used Max but it doesn't seem like the type of program you can mix in, correct me if I'm wrong

Well you can, and it probably wouldn't be that difficult (in fact, it gives you a lot more control over your mix), but the thing is that this patch is using a lot of VSTs, so it's running very slowly. If I bring in an EQ and a compressor for every track then it's going to explode.

I did try that technique in Ableton, but I recorded all of the drums as a single track, so I couldn't do much. I'm going to try again later, but I've been putting it off because I wanted to not worry about all the sfrecord~ object I would need until I felt better about how the track was working. It's probably ready to be put into an arranged draft, so I might do that now.

I've recorded all the different tracks and I'm working on mixing it right now. Unfortuantely, because the drums are so busy, they are very, very difficult to mix right. The bass drum especially is challenging to bring forward because it has almost Noatak.

Here's what it sounds like at the moment. I doubled the speed of the drums because I liked the way it sounded.

Obviously the drums are a mess. The bass drum is completely covered by all the snares and cliks and claks. The good news is that I managed to really bring out the deep bass pad by cutting the low end off the drums. The pad and the sine wave also got distorted during recording, but it ended up producing a cool effect.

Archived