IGNORED

Do any of you 'browse' bandcamp as much as soundcloud? (poll)

Brisbot

Do you stream bandcamp a lot?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you stream bandcamp a lot?

• Yes, more than Soundcloud
    • Yes, about as much as SC
    • Yes, but not quite as much as SC
    • Yes, but rarely
    • Nah, just use it to buy music

Nope. It's not really a site that's tailored for searching and stumbling upon new music.

True, but if they they made it more so they'd surely sell more music? The lack of innovation and shit programming behind major websites is really baffling, look at the amount of people employed by Twitter for example, I could probably write the twitter app in a couple of weeks. Is it just that the world is filled with really shitty programmers?

Guest Chesney

The trouble is that the majority of people on there are making music so are on there to promote their stuff so they only listen to stuff by people who come across them. Nobody is interested in finding new music only as a byproduct of pushing their music.

Of course, these people are your audience as well so you can catch something if you are good enough or if you sell out and follow a trend. Established and artists on the come up get blown up and new artists with no idea how to promote get left behind, floating in space.

SC could do with an overhaul but I don't know what the solution is or whether it needs one, maybe the artists just need to try harder?

Nope. It's not really a site that's tailored for searching and stumbling upon new music.

True, but if they they made it more so they'd surely sell more music? The lack of innovation and shit programming behind major websites is really baffling, look at the amount of people employed by Twitter for example, I could probably write the twitter app in a couple of weeks. Is it just that the world is filled with really shitty programmers?

They should definitely have a better way of sifting through and finding music you want to hear rather than having to find links directly from other sites. It seemed like they left out the social aspect intentionally as a design choice, but as time has elapsed, it seems like a lazy exclusion.

I don't browse Bandcamp as their search engine is total garbage. I also really hate the mobile and desktop player with a passion. Though, the buying process makes up for all of it, I love how you can just buy something and have it in whatever format you want unlike HDTracks or Bleep. The interaction between artist and fan is pretty excellent to. Of course not Soundcloud levels, but still pretty solid.

If they fixed their awful search engine and player I might browse the site.

Archived