IGNORED

the introduction of Universe B

Guest Max

so this is not an official release-feature, but i want to introduce Universe B aka BCM to you and such collect some opinions.

cover-front-big.jpg

001 : ollie's razor

002 : time is short

003 : i do give a shit

004 : birthday acid

don't fear to comment :-)

track 01 needs a second listen to get into it. it grows the more you listen to it.

02 has (how you especially feel at the beginning) a bit flat drums, but a cool darkish ambience. the laserbeams later on make more sense with the drums then - and from then on its my favourite track on this EP.

03 is a very cool ambient track

04. some hectical acidity, which is not my bag in the beginning too. the background of it and its addings later on make it worth the listen though.

i guess if we work things out a bit more, we can do some awesome releases together. some of your ideas really go well with a lot of things we've done from newer ones like 03 compared with modex. 02 & 04 compared with new city 16 (though darren gets a lot more crazy times)

its definately retropublik style, we just need to improve a bit...

comments wanted. :)

"Time is short" has a really nice dark watery atmosphere, builds nicely, lush snap on that snare/clap. Probably my fav of the 4, along with "I do give a shit" which makes good use of a good patch. I like how you hold back on "Time is short" , every once in awhile introducing that deep 4/4 kick but never letting it build up enough steam to become the emphasis, thats subtle but works really well. Gives it momentum and tension.

Guest mushroom

1. the pads draw me in right off the bat. but mainly for the sound; not the melody. it definitely has an acid feel simply because of the percussion, but it just seems wasted on such a wonderful sound. It really could've stood a little bit more development, though as Max said, it could just be a subtle thing and I need a few more listens to "get it."

2. Now it's the percussion that draws me in. It seems fairly obvious now that you don't really operate on a verse-chorus song structure here, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, from the rather shallow sound you're employing here, it could've benefitted from a bit of non-subtle change now and then.

3. Absolutely lovely track. It's usually a mistake to include more than one style(especially ambience among acid) in such a short EP, but you manage to pull it off quite well here.

4. And we're back to acid. Ends really abruptly, which is especially bad when it's the last track on your release. Nothing really too special here.

I'll keep it, just to get a better grip of it, I guess. Good first release, though.

1. the pads draw me in right off the bat. but mainly for the sound; not the melody. it definitely has an acid feel simply because of the percussion, but it just seems wasted on such a wonderful sound. It really could've stood a little bit more development, though as Max said, it could just be a subtle thing and I need a few more listens to "get it."

2. Now it's the percussion that draws me in. It seems fairly obvious now that you don't really operate on a verse-chorus song structure here, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, from the rather shallow sound you're employing here, it could've benefitted from a bit of non-subtle change now and then.

3. Absolutely lovely track. It's usually a mistake to include more than one style(especially ambience among acid) in such a short EP, but you manage to pull it off quite well here.

4. And we're back to acid. Ends really abruptly, which is especially bad when it's the last track on your release. Nothing really too special here.

I'll keep it, just to get a better grip of it, I guess. Good first release, though.

Er, OK, thanks for the comments..........

Can I just add that I found quite a lot of that a little patronising - bits like "it's usually a mistake to include more than one style", and "I'll keep it just to get a better grip of it, I guess" especially....You're not Simon Cowell mate......take it easy yeah?

server seems to be down. it was down already yesterday. even watmm was down for some while. i dont know if its a serious problem of internet or of dreamhost, but the hitrate for today was not that much that it should be a problem. just 10 minutes ago it was running smoothly.

sorry for the inconvenience, i guess its up again in a few moments or a little while. it was off yesterday evening, and back on today morning (well europe that is)

ollie's razor - i dont know, for some reason i cant get this one to play, i just get a Quicktime Q with a question mark on it, i've tried like 4 or 5 times now.

time is short - fuck yeah this is the business

i do give a shit - a good break between the acid corkers

birthday acid - nice track dude, this is great too. fun, peppy.

also, yeah, you ask for opinions, and mushroom gives you his, what do you expect? i've had much worse said about my music. brush your shoulder off if you dont like what they say.

anyway i love the acid tracks and will try the first track from my gf's puter next time i'm there

try to play via the small headphones. its dropping the tracks into the flashplayer on top (if you have flash)

do you use a mac ?

ollie's razor - i dont know, for some reason i cant get this one to play, i just get a Quicktime Q with a question mark on it, i've tried like 4 or 5 times now.

time is short - fuck yeah this is the business

i do give a shit - a good break between the acid corkers

birthday acid - nice track dude, this is great too. fun, peppy.

also, yeah, you ask for opinions, and mushroom gives you his, what do you expect? i've had much worse said about my music. brush your shoulder off if you dont like what they say.

anyway i love the acid tracks and will try the first track from my gf's puter next time i'm there

Glad you enjoyed Fred!! Cheers for checking it out.... :rhubear1:

P.S. Birthday Acid is so called coz it was my birthday yesterday.......and nobody noticed...sniff.....29....what an old bastard.

Guest wasps

these days i'm very aware my musical direction is a bit abstracted from the electronic music watmm arena. this is not to say i don't appreciate electronic music or the more overtly techy, more that often i can't think of anything constructive or relevant to say as it's become a little alien. i'd prefer to say nuffink than something useless like 'nice', bc thats just wank, really.

so, the best i can do is offer some general impressions on the understanding of the above. .)

i listened to the 1st 2 tracks. i dig the vibe - minimalistic, dark (particularly track 2, which was wicked), good fat production. conjours up club scenes from blade and strobe... as has been said, the end is a little weak - it either needs to be more abrupt, or spread over a few more bars, imho.

what you have here is solid, but, as far as the structure goes, you could move into different sections while retain the flavour you've already got simmering, and push it up a level. track 2 for example, could break out into a new chord sequence, something with a fat pad, more percussion, some heavy drum layers etc, then rack it tight back in to the darkness. i've always thought if you got something sweet happening, not to let it become too familiar by breaking out into something different, then when you return it's all the sweeter. .)

i hope that's helpful in some way...

oh and happy buffdee too. .)

Cheers for listening and the comments - you're right about using different directions within my tracks - I tend to be quite linear in my approach and probably need to go sideways sometimes, if you see what I mean. :cool:

*puts on dancing shoes*

*presses play button*

01....nice churchy pads from the start....beats are very acceptable to me...have high hopes for this tune after 30secs....going for a piss...will listen from the bathroom......got bonus wee inside trousers....not your fault....like the tweety 16`s....was hoping for a explosion of resonant jubilation at the end...sweet track nonetheless :smile:

02....put off by the snare immediately....claps make it better....not too sure about the bass sound....highlight is halfway thru where the drums downtune for a bar (?)....yep that bit just happened again.....squelch is building slightly...didn`t really take me anywhere ultimately..... :sad:

03....pleasant ambient track....wasn`t sure about the continuous bass growl....i always find it hard to comment on ambient tracks...i find that they`re either achingly beautiful or ineffectual ....this is somewhere in between i`d say.....would probably chuck it in a bedtime playlist....oh that growl is back.... :confused:

04....don`t like the kick drum from the off....i am very fussy though....do like the main synth pattern that comes in from the start....think this track would benefit from some automated panning or something.....needs a well defined change somewhere...the (vaguely churchy?) synths seem to noodle without direction....potentially the best of the 4...whoa...sudden end...sounds like you just noticed the "tape was about to run out" :ohmy:

i`d say promising ideas that maybe need a bit of developement if i`m honest....i just don`t think it`s as good as some of the early tracks you`ve posted in YLC before....also my judgement gets clouded by a drum sound that is not to my taste...so yeah not bad

OK, thanks for the comments! Will hopefully be putting some more stuff on Retropublik, so hopefully be "better" than these tracks....

Anyway, glad you enjoyed for the most part - the end of track 4 is kind of meant to be abrupt. I like doing that at the end of tracks....

Anyway, will post some new YLC tracks soon, in fact, late tonight if I can.....

Cheers!

Archived