IGNORED

iFixit with Mac stuff

marf

yeah, I don't know but it functions better given the specs. I can have shitloads of tabs open. I can play a 50 gig 4k video off a usb drive. No hiccups. A pc would grind to a halt. We'll, mine did. 

With a 7 year old ageing MacBook Pro finally reaching its limits despite maxing out the RAM (16 GB) and installing a 500 GB Samsung SSD, I'm considering building a Hackintosh instead of buying another Apple computer that hardware-wise is typically a generation or two behind in CPU and features.

only ever heard bad things about hackintoshes. it seems you lose most of the stability and reliability you’d expect from a mac. i reckon if you really don’t want to buy another apple computer you’re better off just switching to a PC + windows 10.

Yeah, considering that when you build a Hackintosh and run a modded copy of macOS on there, you're actually running an outdated copy, I wouldn't do it now. Apple have been dropping the ball with great aplomb recently with security exploits (really fucking stupid ones, too).

In this day and age, I personally think it's way too risky to be running an out of date version of your OS.

yea something like 6months ago I was in that situation of thinking about hackintosh. Then I actually got one. I didn’t buy it, it’s a friend’s hackintosh build which he doesn’t need. It’s fully compatible parts according to tonymac.

I found it to be an overall majorly mediocre experience. I’ve spent at least one full week configuring/tweaking stuff. Once it runs it’s a feeling of success, but most of the time this is very tiresome/tedious/frustrating work of searching forums and doing various mundane / arcane configuration tweaks until you feel it works and then it still has random kernel panics for some reason and you end up with a macOS Computer which is fast but sucks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t even feel I’ve learnt anything during that week. Just that it’s a waste of time.

tbh, doing a full week of client work dedicated to get some $$$ to buy a new Mac would be time better spent, but their current laptops are apparently garbage so it’s a shit situation really.

Archived