IGNORED

snow melting acid

Vibe Origin

your melodies/harmonies are always very good, still beats me how in the hell am i supposed to compose something as good as this, my melodies suck...

anyway, there's not much more to add apart the fact that the drums sound too flat, not mixing wise but rhythmically speaking, needs more groove, maybe some cowbells, rimshots and toms here and there... but yeah, also mixing wise, i know it's a 707, and the 707 hits sound flat, but that kick could be bouncier i think...

keep up trowing good chunes m8 :thumbsup:

I like the happy, carefree, Ceephax style vibe here!  I think the 707 sounds a bit cheap these days, but that's just personal preference...  All the parts work well together, the slidy high-up portamento adds interest, and the whole piece sounds fun.  Just when it might otherwise get too repetitive, the claps come back to add interest on the next iteration.  It's well composed and arranged.  Aside from the choice of drum sounds, I really like this track just as it is.

Do you ever compose tracks with different sections, so they alternate between an A and B section?  Combining that with the kind of aesthetic you have here would probably make for some even better tunes, especially if you rewrite them until the hooks are as catchy as they can be.  And then you'd still want to have other tracks just like this one, because those are nice too.

Top stuff, would listen to on a carefree summer day!

Glad you digged the track guys. When comes to 707 drums I actually like them for their rawness and simplicity. I do use some other drums from time to time though. I wouldn't say it is strictly Ceephax's style. There are many artists who create similar works. EOD, Dave Monolith, Wisp. To name a few big ones. For sure it has some Rephlex vibe, which I don't neglect. Love Rephlex <3.

Rarely will I say this (I love detuning my shit to no end), but the detuning at the beginning is maybe a touch too much? Maybe if you vary up the detuning amount or just dial it back a touch on an instrument or two, it wouldn't be quite so harsh at least for the intro? Just my first impression of course, could be something that works better on repeated listens.

That out of the way, the track overall is pretty decent, I agree with ZoeB that maybe it needs to go somewhere, or something else going on though. A break, bridge, different intro line, outro, something. It's not bad as it is (mixing, instrumentation, effects, groove, all sound good!), but I don't think it's going to have any staying power as it is.

really nice track!

I agree with other posters re the structure. Getting the structure of a piece exactly right is one of the things I find hardest to do - so there is just the right rate of change. You've got elements coming in and going again so it's not too boring, but there's not much build up or tension throughout the track. Bogdan Raczynski is a master of structure in my opinion, he changes SOMETHING almost every 4 bars on his first 2 albums, but the tracks always feel like they are going somewhere. It's hard to get the balance right between changing or staying the same, and keeping the listeners attention.

You could try picking a track you really like, and then analyse the structure completely, write out everything that happens in the track in terms of bars. And then write a track with the same structure. I did it recently with an Aphex track with some interesting results :)

I agree that it is not the same level of complexity as Drukqs or Syro, but it wasn't intended to be. I was thinking of a simplistic track. I think that if I master more simplistic tracks then I can try to do something more complex. Other thing is that I also like simplistic/poppy tracks of they are good.

I agree that it is not the same level of complexity as Drukqs or Syro, but it wasn't intended to be. I was thinking of a simplistic track. I think that if I master more simplistic tracks then I can try to do something more complex. Other thing is that I also like simplistic/poppy tracks of they are good.

sure, it doesn't have to have a complex structure. Even simple pop music nearly always has at least 2 sections in the song, verse chorus etc.

Or for loop-based music where there is only 1 section repeated, then the variations of that section are very well arranged so that it doesn't get boring. And the musical ideas/production/sound design is good enough to keep the listener's interest through the track. Thinking of Bochum Welt...

I don't think you need to make this track more complex, but I do think the structure could be improved. My idea was that you find a track you consider a masterful track in the same style/genre, and then analyse exactly the structure of that track to see if it gives you ideas about how to improve the build up / flow of your track. Have you ever done that before?

I do it somehow. I listen to a track I really like very often and try to memorize it.

sounds good! look forward to hearing your next track

Archived