IGNORED

Bassline synthesis tip

zoix

Hey guys, need your help with something. Id like to make a similar bassline as in the track below. Really deep stuff but with some nice low mid frequencies to give more presence in the mix.

I'm thinking a sine wave and a square wave perhaps?

https://youtu.be/qZTxuC5ggEc

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Man, Raime are wicked. The atmospheres and tensions that they create are brilliant. I think the bass is more to do with experimenting with reverbs and effects to give it that timbre rather than the waveforms themselves? (could be wrong though?) 

I'd try a sine with a bit of saturation or a square with some low pass filtering. Square probably works better. Lengthen the attack a bit so that it does hit too sharply when it triggers, to give that more pillowy sound. Pick a note and octave up on the key steps you want for effect.

Man, Raime are wicked. The atmospheres and tensions that they create are brilliant. I think the bass is more to do with experimenting with reverbs and effects to give it that timbre rather than the waveforms themselves? (could be wrong though?)

Yeah big influence. Really top notch production, arrangement and sound selection.

I'd try a sine with a bit of saturation or a square with some low pass filtering. Square probably works better. Lengthen the attack a bit so that it does hit too sharply when it triggers, to give that more pillowy sound. Pick a note and octave up on the key steps you want for effect.

Square wave does it! Playing around with one now adding low pass filtering. Great tips about octaving up on certain notes mate!

Lengthen the attack a bit so that it does hit too sharply when it triggers, to give that more pillowy sound. Pick a note and octave up on the key steps you want for effect.

you mean "so that it doesn't..." right? i guess it's implied when you say that is to give a more pillowy sound but i just got confused, might be looking at it the wrong way...

Lengthen the attack a bit so that it does hit too sharply when it triggers, to give that more pillowy sound. Pick a note and octave up on the key steps you want for effect.

you mean "so that it doesn't..." right? i guess it's implied when you say that is to give a more pillowy sound but i just got confused, might be looking at it the wrong way...

Yes, doesn’t! It’s a typo!

Guest Chesney

It has harmonics in there that might suggest it's a simple FM patch too but you could definitely get close with above suggestions^^^. There is a wobble in there too which does not sound like Lfo to pitch, more FM modding. The harmonics are definitely helped along with almost inaudible delay time with lots of feedback which also acts as a boxy reverb. It may also have a sprinkle of reverb on top too, to give it more of a tail. I'd def experiment with a digital delay first though.

It has harmonics in there that might suggest it's a simple FM patch too but you could definitely get close with above suggestions^^^. There is a wobble in there too which does not sound like Lfo to pitch, more FM modding. The harmonics are definitely helped along with almost inaudible delay time with lots of feedback which also acts as a boxy reverb. It may also have a sprinkle of reverb on top too, to give it more of a tail. I'd def experiment with a digital delay first though.

Ok thanks mate

Guest Chesney

But I have just listened to it on shitty work puter speakers so might be missing something, well that's my disclaimer anyway ;)

If I was to replicate that I would definitely use an analogue synth ala my Sub Phatty in order to get some of that analogue grit.

It wobble part would simply be the way it's played. My guess is that he/she/they recorded some bass notes and resampled them. It's way easier to control instead of having to program everything to your wishes.

Sound-wise it's probably a filtered square or a saturated and slightly filtered sine wave. I'm not hearing any reverb on the deep bass though, Chesney? I think the reverb stems from that hollowed out kick just continues over the bass.

Get the bass under control by boosting the harmonics from the saturation with an EQ (high shelf) and get the low frequencies under control with a multiband compressor or something.

If you're using soft synths you should be able to recreate this using pretty much anything, but my go-to would probably be Sylenth1 or something like that

Guest Chesney

maybe i'm not hearing enough of the "deep bass" on these speakers so there could be some mingling going on. I'll have a better listen later at home to clarify.

If I was to replicate that I would definitely use an analogue synth ala my Sub Phatty in order to get some of that analogue grit.

It wobble part would simply be the way it's played. My guess is that he/she/they recorded some bass notes and resampled them. It's way easier to control instead of having to program everything to your wishes.

Sound-wise it's probably a filtered square or a saturated and slightly filtered sine wave. I'm not hearing any reverb on the deep bass though, Chesney? I think the reverb stems from that hollowed out kick just continues over the bass.

Get the bass under control by boosting the harmonics from the saturation with an EQ (high shelf) and get the low frequencies under control with a multiband compressor or something.

If you're using soft synths you should be able to recreate this using pretty much anything, but my go-to would probably be Sylenth1 or something like that

Thanks for the tip! What I really like is that fluffy sound and those higher notes. Will play around with Omnisphere 2 and see if I can approximate that sound.

Archived