Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Haggling on ebay

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 worms

worms

aciiiiiiiiiiiiiied

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • 44 topics
  • Joined 05-June 18
  • SoundCloud URL:www.soundcloud.com/bran1983
  • Interests:acid

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:28 PM

Anyone have tips for haggling on ebay? Be really nice or a bit rude? Mary Poppins or Gordon Gecko?

#2 Stickfigger

Stickfigger

Here until i'm gone

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • 45 topics
  • Joined 15-April 08
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/user-507726405
  • Interests:https://meltedself.bandcamp.com/

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

Depends . I used to buy and sell stuff on gumtree a fair bit last year. I'd check it every day and offer low prices, offer to pick up that day , but my offer was only valid for 24 hours. Everything I got i sold on for a profit if I didn't keep. I only kept a blofeld but sold a minibrute , rocket . Jp08 . Volca FM, and a bunch of pedals

#3 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15
  • Location:The underground aqueduct that connects us to the Lagoon City
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/tubularcorporation

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

I don't know about haggling pre-sale, but when I've been sent something that's defective or otherwise gratuitously not as described but still usable, I've had really good luck getting people to give me a partial refund.  Has happened 3 or 4 times, usually with records that are rated near mint but arrive all scratched up but still playable enough that I'd rather have half my money back and keep it than spending probably half of the refund or more in shipping to send it back..

#4 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • 28 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:45 PM

In general it comes down to research and intelligence. Being able to look at details at the item they are selling and being able to find flaws, scratches, marks, wrong spelling in the seller ad, history of what you are buying having defects, the time that the seller has had the item for, supply vs. demand, geographic location etc... The more science you have to back up your claim, the better. If you don't have the smarts, sometimes just bluffing can get you quite a bit.

I was able to make an over my beloved Roland MT-32 for $50 CAN just because the seller could not find any buyers for $200.

A few tips: Ask the 5 W's: Who, what, when, where and why to the buyer. You can find out a lot about placing a value on the product just by finding information on the seller. How much do you want the product vs. why they are selling it. Also look up the product and see what other users have had problems with technical-wise. If you say "I read up that I have to repair such-and-such on the device after x amount of time has passed and I'll need to spend some money on that aspect." is an example that can bring down the cost dramatically.

Do. Your. Research. if you are serious about getting a good deal.

Edited by Entorwellian, 19 June 2018 - 08:49 PM.