IGNORED

MIDINES

YEK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine owns one, so we use it frequently while recording.

Overheats like a mother fucker, though. It's better to run it on newer NES models [the top-loading kind].

Guest DrHat

nanoloop is good

i've head if you want original gameboys, the grey ones sound the best - beefiest. nanoloop also has midi somethingorother, though possibly just sync.

if you want a newer one, like advanced or whatever, htat has good stuff too i hear - know someone who sold his nanoloop setup for one

nanoloop is good

i've head if you want original gameboys, the grey ones sound the best - beefiest. nanoloop also has midi somethingorother, though possibly just sync.

if you want a newer one, like advanced or whatever, htat has good stuff too i hear - know someone who sold his nanoloop setup for one

yeah nanoloop sounds great. i know i said awhile a go i was going to buy it.. haven't yet, cause i don't have a job, but it's top priority. yeah , it has midi sync which is good if yer using it in conjunction with other hardware

i'll be picking up nanoloop 2.0 for the advance.

i'd buy lsdj if i knew how to use a tracker. one day i'll try but not now.

Guest 死んでく

lsdj is good once you know the controls, because you're only using four buttons + diagonal the interface is much better then something like an atari st with 50 buttons

i have a couple of gameboys so here goes:

original: loudest, most computery sound, the best imo

pocket: nice screen, quiet sound

color: small crappy screen but colour, quiet sound

advance: digital sounds, pointless, the worst

the thing on lsdj is some of the effects dont sound very gameboyish, i dont like those sounds much, but someone like scotch egg uses it all the time. if i make a tune on a gameboy i want it to sound like a gameboy game song, but it's up to you what you do

thats interesting, i read that the grey gb had a louder sound but i never knew it had more of an 8bit sound .. i suppose that makes sense though

Guest 死んでく

thats interesting, i read that the grey gb had a louder sound but i never knew it had more of an 8bit sound .. i suppose that makes sense though

most computery sound? dont know why i wrote that... they are all computery sounds... all the normal gameboys are 8bit

if you judge on just the sound, then i prefer the original gameboy, mostly because of the volume

if you judge on the screen, i prefer the gameboy pocket

i really dont like the gameboy advance sound... by digital i meant to say sampled or emulated rather than being generated from a certain special sound chip

i guess the thing you want is an interesting sound chip that sounds great, with an easy interface and stuff, so the best from that point of view is the original gameboy

some people say u can just make gameboy sounds in Buzz or something, but id rather have the gameboy soundchip and interface and type in using a program that directly communicates with the sound chip, not trying to "emulate" a gameboy in Buzz

sending commands to a computer sound chip that makes sounds in itself kicks ass. it's half the pleasure of trying to make gameboy songs.

id love to try this nes tracker one day... sorry it's 2am hehe talking bollocks again

LOL, ok, 303 pretention is one thing, but jesus c'mon. It's not even like you're trying to emulate analog hardware with software. YOU'RE JUST EMULATING SOFTWARE WITH SOFTWARE. It doesn't even have to be called emulating, how about "Re-Creating". There's a better term for it.

You're a strange one Mr Square Man.

Guest 死んでく
LOL, ok, 303 pretention is one thing, but jesus c'mon. It's not even like you're trying to emulate analog hardware with software. YOU'RE JUST EMULATING SOFTWARE WITH SOFTWARE. It doesn't even have to be called emulating, how about "Re-Creating". There's a better term for it.

You're a strange one Mr Square Man.

pretension? thinking you're better than you actually are?

a 303 is a legendary synthesizer. some people make imitations for various reasons, usually they are successful at copying the interface, but never come close enough to the sound. it's not possible. this is not a pretentious position, it's an honest one. that's what i feel. but i guess im in the minority here oh well. if you like making music on 303 vst, that's really cool and awesome, not a problem. i did start a discussion on it, because it bugged me and i hoped to share my views and learn other people's. whatevery you do yourself is cool, i will never go against your creative mind or say you should change your song, because that is your freedom and pleasure. ok, hope this 303 thing doesnt come up in every thread now...

with the gameboy, there is a sound chip in there you know? software like LSDJ has been carefully programmed, it's genius little software, that talks to the sound chip in the gameboy. if im making a gameboy tune id rather do it on a gameboy because that is where i feel all the emotion and best sound for it is. all my memories playing games and hearing great tunes like on zelda, i can only dream of making a wicked song like that. if im making a song on buzz, designed to sound like a gameboy, how can i get that feeling? how can that be a gameboy sound? it is just a copy.

the original gameboy is the best for tracking, i say this as a gameboy tracker who has used many different gameboys, including emulations, and even tried to make gameboy style music years ago on digital korg synthesizer. not for pretentions, it's simply the BEST!"!!!!!!

The difference is.. when you are "emulating" a Gameboy's sound chip with software, you are actually "re-creating" it. You are just setting up, with software, the same logic gates that go into the arrangement of transistors on the chip inside the Gameboy. Therefore, the sound produced is (or at least can be if you know what you're doing) identical.

Ok, for you, for some reason, you need to be in front of an actual Gameboy to get into Gameboy music mode, fine. But an "emulation" of it is not some "cheap copy", it's just a re-production of the exact thing. Because, you might not know this, but the Gameboy sound chip is REALLY SIMPLE to re-create.

Guest 死んでく
The difference is.. when you are "emulating" a Gameboy's sound chip with software, you are actually "re-creating" it. You are just setting up, with software, the same logic gates that go into the arrangement of transistors on the chip inside the Gameboy. Therefore, the sound produced is (or at least can be if you know what you're doing) identical.

Ok, for you, for some reason, you need to be in front of an actual Gameboy to get into Gameboy music mode, fine. But an "emulation" of it is not some "cheap copy", it's just a re-production of the exact thing. Because, you might not know this, but the Gameboy sound chip is REALLY SIMPLE to re-create.

Why does it sound different? Why doesn't it give me the same feeling?

It's not the same, even if you have the exact same binary numbers of the sound chip put into a software form for emulation. It doesn't sound the same, the interface isn't the same, the speaker is different. The end result is different and the feelings that you get are different too. In theory it should be the same perhaps, but not in the real world.

Ok I like GAME BOY. I want to make music on my GAME BOY. I don't want to make music on my PC, imagining it is a GAME BOY. The whole reason is to make it on a GAME BOY. I don't understand emulating it, that's the craziest. Pure crazy.

Not gonna defend making music on GAMEBOY instead of emulated PC GAMEBOY any more.... cos my view here is bulletproof

Guest 死んでく
lol, ok, obviously you're not intending to be a very reasoned and impartial person, that's cool. If you need to actually be holding a Gameboy to make 8-bit NES chiptunes, have at it.

i intend to be reasoned but particular and take a position.

i need to be holding a gameboy to make gameboy tunes. if i wanted to make nes tunes, id buy the nes setup. cant afford it though, so i wont emulate or whatever just because i cant afford it.

bulletproof!!

Archived